Author Topic: Genetically engineered bacteria to prevent cavities anyone?  (Read 366 times)

Pb

• friend
Genetically engineered bacteria to prevent cavities anyone?
« on: January 01, 2024, 08:08:35 PM »
Fascinating...

Streptococcus mutans in your mouth eats sugar and produces lactic acid, causing tooth decay.  Someone created a genetically engineered version that uses a different metabolic pathway to produce ethanol (!) instead... They also gave it the ability to create an antibiotic, to outcompete the wild type stain.  They also altered the genome to make it less likely to spread these genes via gene transfer, to other bacteria.

So you, scrub your mouth out really well, and inoculate yourself with the new strain... and no tooth decay!  maybe?

If this actually works, we could quit fluoridating the water which would likely be a plus.

https://www.lanternbioworks.com/

FAQ:
https://www.astralcodexten.com/p/defying-cavity-lantern-bioworks-faq?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=89120&post_id=139373544&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=true&r=890bd&utm_medium=email

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Genetically engineered bacteria to prevent cavities anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 10:04:31 AM »
I certainly hope they do a lot of testing.  Sounds promising. 

Of course, would that affect recovering alcoholics?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 10:21:57 AM »
Supposedly the amount of ethanol produced is minimal... some bacteria naturally do this as well in the body.

I have to admit, I have been more leary of water flouridation and its possible effect on IQ. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 02:08:01 PM »
A few years back, I gave a risk lecture at the local county dental society.  The person lecturing before me was talking about the increased incidence of dental caries among children due to more people living in the rural areas of the county and on a well.  Thus, they were not getting fluoride in their drinking water.  The lecturer was encouraging the dentists to ask about the water supply at the home and provide supplemental fluoride as needed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 05:08:24 PM »
Ethanol from bacteria in the mouth...gotta look to see if this has ever been raised as a defense for DUI breath tests.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 06:02:06 PM »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 06:14:22 PM »
Dentists will never let this happen. You would think that dentistry would be one of those dwindling professions as advances are made. Their whole reason for being is to help prevent caries and other diseases of the mouth that could be prevented. This would really put some of them out of business and we will not be having any of that!!! ;)

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 07:27:36 AM »
COVID 19 vaccine... NO WAY! ARE YOU NUTS? I'LL NEVER LET THAT ANYWHERE NEAR ME!

Bioengineered bacteria to "prevent" cavities... HELL YEAH! BRUSHING MY TEETH IS SUCH A WASTE OF TIME! WHERE DO I SIGN UP?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 08:29:34 AM »
Ethanol from bacteria in the mouth...gotta look to see if this has ever been raised as a defense for DUI breath tests.

Yeah, I'm wondering how this would effect readings on breathalyzers
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes