Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Spiced ham glaze

(1/3) > >>

charby:
2 cups brown sugar packed
1 cup pineapple jouce
1/4 teaspoon each of the following spices: cinnamon, ground clove, paprika, cumin, ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard

Wisk all ingredients together, wisk before applying glaze, if not the sugar does fall out of solution.

This is enough glaze for two, 4 lb picnic hams, and probably enough for a half shank ham.

I like to get my ham to somewhat room temp before cooking. Right before I cook, I skin off the rind, leave as much fat as possible (fat is flavor), score the surface in a cross pattern about a 1/4" deep. I can never get a rind to get crispy on a ham, so I skin it. I like to roast at 325F, I roast my ham for 30 minutes covered in foil with a 1/2" cup of pineapple juice in the pan. After 30 minutes I pull the ham out of the oven, remove the foil and brush on the glaze, return to the oven uncovered. I add glaze every 15 minutes until the ham is done temp wise. When close to done I pin on pineapple rings and maraschino cherries. When the ham is close to done I remove the ham from the pan, place in a foil lined different pan, turn the broiler on, layer a good glaze and broil for 5 minutes, glaze again and broil for another five minutes. Should have a good glazed crust and browning on the high points. I reserve about half the juice from initial roasting pan. Return the ham and juice to the initial pan and cover with foil and let rest for a while before serving. You will never have a dried out ham ever again.

Brad Johnson:
That's the exact recipe I have from Mom. Makes for a sinfully good ham.

Brad

charby:

--- Quote from: Brad Johnson on December 17, 2018, 11:07:14 PM ---That's the exact recipe I have from Mom. Makes for a sinfully good ham.

Brad

--- End quote ---

No *expletive deleted*it? I made this one on my own, well the spice mix. Always been a 2:1 with brown sugar and pineapple juice.

Brad Johnson:
Yup. Same ingredients in the same amounts.

Brad

zxcvbob:
I've made Alton Brown's City Ham a couple of times.  (yellow mustard, brown sugar, and crushed ginger snaps.)  I don't remember if AB's has any ground cloves, or if the ginger snaps cover for the cloves.

Yours has mustard, cloves, and brown sugar -- that's pretty much the essentials.   My mom used to use whole cloves, pineapple rings in heavy syrup, and mustard; and maraschino cherries, but the cherries were mainly just decorations.

The cumin is weird.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version