Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Any good chicken leg recipes?

(1/2) > >>

brimic:
My wife and I are trying to cut way back on our food expenditures, so we are trying recipes using less expensive alternatives to things.
Chicken legs = $0.80/lb
I tried this this weekend:  https://www.thespruceeats.com/sticky-crockpot-chicken-drumsticks-recipe-479528

Not good. Spices were overwhelming and not balanced. The chicken on the inside with no spices on it tasted good though.

Any suggestions in this area? I generally want to cook them skinless if possible.

charby:
I like to roast drumsticks, then coat them in a wing sauce of choice. I call them T-Rex wings.

Or pressure cook them and use the meat and stock to make chicken and noodles.

lupinus:
For me roasting is always the way to go with drumsticks, be it chicken or turkey.

I prefer the slow roasted approach. I hate with a passion the texture/taste of quick barely cooked dark meat chicken that seems to be the current trend. I much prefer the slower roasted flavor like you'll find in a decent rotisserie chicken and such.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Brad Johnson:
Some type of baked, crusted chicken recipe. Remember Shake 'N Bake (the food, not the movie quote)? A lot of recipes out there for that. SWMBO makes a damn good baked chicken breast that is essentially butter, crushed Ritz crackers, and Emeril's Essence seasoning.

You might look into thighs rather than drumsticks. Drums are cheap but you're paying for a lot of non-edible content (bones). Thighs are sometimes a better deal in terms of net edible meat per purchased pound.

Brad

K Frame:
"Drums are cheap but you're paying for a lot of non-edible content (bones)."

You get your money's worth out of the legs when you boil the bones to make a kick ass stock.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version