Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Boiled (but not boiled) eggs

(1/4) > >>

Brad Johnson:
Tried a different way to make "boiled" eggs this weekend... steam. Darn if it didn't work, and very well at that.

Brought water to a rolling boil. Placed steamer basket full of eggs into pot. Covered and left for 15 min. Dunked in ice water to cool. Perfect "hard boiled" eggs.

One major benefit. Whatever version of laying hen or production feed cycle they are using that results in paper-thin eggshells also seems to have made boiled eggs hard to peel. When I say "hard" I mean damn near impossible. The membrane welds itself to both the shell and the white. I stopped making deviled eggs because I got tired of wasting half the eggs to chunks of egg white peeled out of them. The steamed eggs? Peeled perfect, every single one. I noticed the last one or two were starting to stick a little. I'm kinda thinking that peeling the eggs while slightly warm helped as the colder the eggs got the more the shells seemed to want to stick.

Brad

Ron:
Steamed for the Win!

I agree

charby:
A little vinegar in your boiling water helps with pealing.

Store bought eggs aren't really that fresh and are washed/sanitized before they reach the store. This is probably why the membrane is a lot harder to remove as farm fresh eggs. I imagine the diet that production layers are fed may add to a stronger membrane too.

K Frame:
"A little vinegar in your boiling water helps with pealing."

RING IN YOUR EGGS!

Vinegar to help the peeling process is kitchen myth number 2 in this list...

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/8-common-cooking-myths-debunked/

brimic:
My wife buys the free range chickens eggs. The shells are pretty thick on these.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version