Author Topic: Anyone have a Honda self-propelled mower?  (Read 1624 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Anyone have a Honda self-propelled mower?
« on: March 30, 2017, 11:01:36 PM »
Last fall I bought a new Honda HRX217VKA self-propelled mower, and used it yesterday for the first time. Everything is really good except that it has a large gap between the deck and the top of the bag. The result is that dust and fine clippings make their way to the outside and go all over the mower and the operator.

Does anyone else have one of these, and have the same problem?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Anyone have a Honda self-propelled mower?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 08:53:27 PM »
I've got a honda self-propelled, but it's the GCV190.  And no, no gap between the bag/deck.  I did notice that it's possible to not get the bag correctly hooked on the deck, so take a close look make sure you're actually on the correct hooks
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »
It's definitely attached correctly, and the bag is definitely on the frame properly. I've looked at videos of the mower. I don't understand why there's such a big gap that allows clippings to blow out of the bag.

Here's a photo taken from the front of the mower showing the front of the bag, with the gap between the deck and the top of the bag. The spring and the rod are part of the hinged plastic hood that goes back over the bag, but doesn't create any sort of seal to keep stuff from flying out.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 02:36:23 AM »
Yeah, mine has the same hinged cover - I'll take a look in the morning to be sure, but I'm pretty sure there isn't that "riser" on the side there that seems to be creating a 1" or so gap....   Hrm.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 09:30:02 AM »
The gap is closer to 2".

It would seem that there's no other Honda mower owners here. But there's plenty of engineer and mechanical types. Can anyone think of a reason to have such a large opening in the bag, given that the opening is where the air pressure is going to push everything? It just seems like a no-brainer to me that such an opening would be a chute for clippings and dust.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
I have a Honda - I forget the model number. I have to chop the lawn this afternoon, so will look. I don't recall there being any big gap though, or at least I have never see grass flying all over.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 02:58:44 PM »
I have one, though it's about 30 years old.  Still a better mower than most out there.  Not sure if that design is the same as your for bag attachment.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 05:24:03 PM »
Duct tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 05:32:52 PM »
Okay, mine is the HRR216 with the GVC160 engine. If I'm looking where you're thinking, mine has no gap:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 05:39:23 PM »
If you lift that black plastic hood, can you see any space below the top edge of the bag frame and the mower body?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 05:53:09 PM »
If you lift that black plastic hood, can you see any space below the top edge of the bag frame and the mower body?

I'll remount the bag when I go outside in a little bit and let you know.  I can tell you that I never get anything shooting out the edges of the bag though. I will say that I've found the mounting system for the bag to be kind of funky, so maybe you didn't seat it right the first time?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 07:04:21 PM »
Okay, I checked. I couldn't get a clear image with the bag in place, but while there is space between the bag and plastic door, there is no more than 1/4"-1/2" (if that) of space between the top of the bag frame and the mower body.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 07:31:14 PM »
Okay, I checked. I couldn't get a clear image with the bag in place, but while there is space between the bag and plastic door, there is no more than 1/4"-1/2" (if that) of space between the top of the bag frame and the mower body.

Thanks. All of the dealerships are closed here, so I called one in CA to see if they knew why there was such a large gap. The guy I spoke with said it was to make emptying the bag easier. That just doesn't make sense, as I've never had a problem emptying the bag on other mowers, and I never had one spew dust and fine clippings like this. I have to take my clothes off before I enter the house, and leave the clothes in the garage, or I'll have dust and grass clippings all over the house.

The design seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 07:37:43 PM »
Thanks. All of the dealerships are closed here, so I called one in CA to see if they knew why there was such a large gap. The guy I spoke with said it was to make emptying the bag easier. That just doesn't make sense, as I've never had a problem emptying the bag on other mowers, and I never had one spew dust and fine clippings like this. I have to take my clothes off before I enter the house, and leave the clothes in the garage, or I'll have dust and grass clippings all over the house.

The design seems like a solution in search of a problem.

That would make emptying the bag harder, not easier. I just pick mine up by the handle and tilt the front up a little, no muss no fuss. I would go back to where you bought it or to some dealer that has one on display and see if everything looks the same. Maybe you're missing a part? I'm not sure how different yours looks vs mine.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 08:24:22 PM »
That would make emptying the bag harder, not easier. I just pick mine up by the handle and tilt the front up a little, no muss no fuss. I would go back to where you bought it or to some dealer that has one on display and see if everything looks the same. Maybe you're missing a part? I'm not sure how different yours looks vs mine.

No, it's put together 100% properly. I looked at various Youtube videos as well as still images on Google. Maybe I just need to wait until the grass isn't as dry and see what happens.

I like the mower, though. It's sure a lot easier than my beater Craftsman mower from 1992.