Author Topic: Astronomy Picture of the Day - June 8, 2017  (Read 1232 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Astronomy Picture of the Day - June 8, 2017
« on: June 08, 2017, 02:09:15 AM »

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170608.html

Firefall (no, not the band) in Yosemite.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Astronomy Picture of the Day - June 8, 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 06:15:36 AM »
That's just spectacular.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:21:32 AM »
Yeah, that's incredible... I've seen pictures of the firefall, but nothing ever quite as beautiful as this one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 07:23:07 AM »
definitely a 'shop. The lighting is all wrong.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 07:32:48 AM »
If you go to the page it says that it's Moonlight Firefall.

Don't know if that's literally what it is, or if that's just the name of the picture.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 07:46:18 AM »
definitely a 'shop. The lighting is all wrong.

The angles are about right but there are a few discrepancies that also lead me to suspect it might be 'shopped.
It is a long exposure as evidenced by the smooth look of the water.
My thought is that the star filled sky has been added. In part because of the long exposure there is no "trailing" of the stars.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 07:48:51 AM »
If you go to the page it says that it's Moonlight Firefall.

Don't know if that's literally what it is, or if that's just the name of the picture.

The falls light up like that under particular conditions when the setting sun lights up the water. The suns angle hits it the same for about 2 weeks in February and October but in October the falls are almost always dry so no firefall effect.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »
It will make a good desktop background for a while.   Dark enough it doesn't interfere with the hundreds of file icons on the screen. 

Will
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 07:36:39 PM »
Dark enough it doesn't interfere with the hundreds of file icons on the screen.

Will

Personal pet peeve of mine. I have 6 on my desktop including the trash. Everything else is in the Start list or in a folder in there.

Here is how I store the stuff I use most often:

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 11:03:06 PM »
The angles are about right but there are a few discrepancies that also lead me to suspect it might be 'shopped.
It is a long exposure as evidenced by the smooth look of the water.
My thought is that the star filled sky has been added. In part because of the long exposure there is no "trailing" of the stars.

The falls light up like that under particular conditions when the setting sun lights up the water. The suns angle hits it the same for about 2 weeks in February and October but in October the falls are almost always dry so no firefall effect.

If it only occurs during sunset, then it's a definite shop; the light from the sun would have over-exposed the sky. That kind of exposure can only be made long after sunset.

The star trails effect itself depends on a few factors, though. The trails are much less noticeable at wide angles, for instance. Using a high ISO to minimize the exposure time can help as well, but as you noted the smoothness of the water kind of rules that out.

My guess is it's a composite of three different shots: one taken at sunset to get the falls, then two well after sunset, with one at high ISO to get the stars, and one with a lower ISO and much longer exposure to get the water.

ETA: I went and read the description the site. This effect was supposed to have been caused by the setting moon, so it could very well be one photograph, depending on the quality of the camera. Or it could have been an HDR shot. Either way, there was some heavy editing involved. There are a few areas around the edge of the mountain that appear to be lighter than they should be, which is a symptom of either HDR or abusing the lift shadows (IIRC) slider in Photoshop.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:27:30 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 11:17:49 AM »
Personal pet peeve of mine. I have 6 on my desktop including the trash. Everything else is in the Start list or in a folder in there.

Here is how I store the stuff I use most often:

I know what you mean.  I hate to leave files sitting on my desktop, but I end up forgetting to move them and I have to clean things up up.  It is very noticeable when I switch to my laptop screen that is smaller and it is completely full of icons. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge