Author Topic: Set your clock correctly before you launch into space.  (Read 701 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Set your clock correctly before you launch into space.
« on: December 22, 2019, 08:59:07 AM »
Otherwise, you will fail your mission.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/boeing-starliner-spacecraft-returns-after-failed-mission

I'm surprised the clock needed to be set at all.  I assumed they would just auto-synch it to Zulu time via GPS or something similar.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Set your clock correctly before you launch into space.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 09:05:54 AM »
I saw the headline that it failed, but didn't see until your post as to why. That is a really interesting failure point for a 21st century spacecraft. They wouldn't be able to use GPS for synching anytime past liftoff, but I would think there would be a "master clock" with backup on the spacecraft that all timing devices talk too.

I should edit: They could use GPS in low enough orbits, but I'm not sure how accurate it would be as you get closer to the GPS constellation orbits.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 10:21:19 AM »
I saw the headline that it failed, but didn't see until your post as to why. That is a really interesting failure point for a 21st century spacecraft. They wouldn't be able to use GPS for synching anytime past liftoff, but I would think there would be a "master clock" with backup on the spacecraft that all timing devices talk too.

I should edit: They could use GPS in low enough orbits, but I'm not sure how accurate it would be as you get closer to the GPS constellation orbits.

There should be a master clock for the mission somewhere that everything syncs to.  It wouldn't have to be GPS; probably just a clock in Houston or Huntsville, and another master on the spacecraft that is subservient to and synced to the one on the ground.  In fact, it seems hard to not get that right. :/  The mission clock would probably set to the atomic clock WWVB (is that in Boulder or Ft Collins?)
"It's good, though..."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 10:45:50 AM »
They shoulda installed a Timex ...  :old:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 10:46:16 AM »
The atomic clock is in Boulder* and sends its signals to WWV in Fort Collins over a subchannel of TV channel 4, as of my recollection of 10 years ago.   I don't remember if WWV-H in Hawaii has an independent clock or derives its time somehow from the Boulder/Fort Collins system.

It sounds almost as if there were some kind of relativity experiment involved which would require two independently set clocks.

Or, one clock was set for Standard Time, the other for Daylight Time. =D :rofl:

Terry

* In the National Bureau of Standards (now NIST) building.  The Boulder Amateur Radio Club (BARC) used to have its meetings in that building and whenever I walked in, I'd look at my watch, then point at the big display in the lobby showing the atomic clock time,  and mouth "It's slow" at the guards.  >:D

Part of the WWV antenna farm in Fort Collins:

http://braddye.com/images/wwv_antenna_farm.jpg
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:23:53 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 01:40:47 PM »
Somebody probably mixed up English time and Metric time.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 02:16:10 PM »
On the plus side, the Starliner had a successful landing on the White Sands missile range in New Mexico.  The first US manned spacecraft designed to land on dry land.  Parachutes plus airbags that deploy right before touchdown.  Supposed to be much quicker and cheaper to refurbish for additional flights as opposed to a saltwater splashdown.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 03:14:56 PM »
And no chance that those pesky explosive bolts "just blew," and sank the capsule.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 07:13:27 PM »
The flight was aborted because the capsule's clock was not synced up properly with the timing on the rocket — and it ultimately ended up in the wrong orbit.

Shortly after its launch on Friday, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine tweeted the Starliner "had a Mission Elapsed Time (MET) anomaly causing the spacecraft to believe that it was in an orbital insertion burn, when it was not."

“We started the clock at the wrong time,” Jim Chilton, a senior vice president for Boeing, said Saturday. “As a result of starting the clock at the wrong time, the spacecraft upon reaching space thought she was later in the mission and, being autonomous, started to behave that way.”

Clock or timer?  I guess it doesn't matter.  Seems to me there should have been some sort of on-going handshake so they would know of this error either prior to liftoff or pretty soon after.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 01:33:17 PM »
This is pretty bad.

Starliner did a Pad Abort test in WSMR a couple months back.  The abort trigger happened manually and no Atlas/Centaur computer was involved.

If Starliner cannot poll Atlas for the Mission Elapsed Time correctly, it's also entirely possible that it cannot poll Atlas for Flight Termination Signal correctly, endangering correct function of the Abort system either on the pad or partway through flight.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!