Author Topic: Cheap Electronic Earpro?  (Read 596 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cheap Electronic Earpro?
« on: December 21, 2022, 11:46:46 AM »
Does anyone have experience with the cheaper models of electronic earpro? I've been wanting to get a second set for guests, often new shooters, so that I can clearly communicate with them, without shelling out the ducats I paid for my Sordins. I guess I'm more concerned with longevity over NRR, since if they have a lower NRR, the guest can always wear muffs over plugs and just turn the volume up.

I saw that Amazon has a several name brands as a deal today. I had an interest in these two, in the low $30 range:

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Amplification-Electronic/dp/B001T7QJ9O/

https://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Razor-Slim-Electronic-Black/dp/B01AAH8CMA/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Cheap Electronic Earpro?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 11:54:35 AM »
I've got a pair or two of the Howard Leight ones.  Amazon says I last bought that set on June 6, 2012 and they are still working fine. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 11:56:29 AM »
The Howard leights are amazing for the price. You will be using earplugs with them though they are only 22db like all the other low profile muffs
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 12:03:01 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 12:11:56 PM »
Hmm, so I just noticed that on those Leights, The $30 pair I linked to takes a month to get here from China. I wonder if they are counterfeits? The other variations on that linked page cost significantly more (I think I just answered my own question).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 12:42:18 PM »
Yeah the Impact Sports should be about $60.  The $30 ones are almost certainly fake.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1805652370?pid=671923

That said, I had a set I used before I got my Sordin's and they work fine.  Outdoors I didn't usually double up despite their low NRR rating.  Mine ended up getting replaced because the rubber cover over the cables from the ear muff dry rotted, but the muffs still work fine.

The guys I shoot with that use Walkers all complain that the amplification circuitry does not handle wind well. As soon as it's a little gusty they just cut in and out and you can't here speech.  YMMV.

My other set of "guest" muffs are Peltor 6S Behind the head.  https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Soundtrap-Tactical-Electronic-Headset/dp/B0000X6I5I?th=1  But they are also up at $60-ish.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 01:05:19 PM »
SWMBO and I each have a pair of the Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro R-01902 ear muffs.  They supposedly have a 31db sound protection level.  We've only used them at a local indoor range, but we both like them pretty well.
About $67 at Amazon right now.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 01:13:50 PM »
Howard Leights are IMHO the best for the money for sub $100 earpro
Walkers are good but I prefer the HLs over them because the lower price Walkers are Omni-directional while HLs are Bi-Directional.
In other words with the Walkers it's hard to tell the source direction of a sound.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 01:26:47 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 02:13:32 PM »
Okay, maybe I'll get the Leights, but not the green ones from the CCP.  =)

I can always consider them backups for myself.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 08:50:37 PM »
I have these https://www.caldwellshooting.com/safety-gear/hearing-protection/e-max/e-max-low-profile-electronic-hearing-protection/487557.html

Had them for 8 years now, I wear ear plugs with them if I am shooting my bigger stuff.

I bought mine on Amazon for under $30. I think I'm on my third set of batteries for them.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 08:55:30 PM »
I have these https://www.caldwellshooting.com/safety-gear/hearing-protection/e-max/e-max-low-profile-electronic-hearing-protection/487557.html

Had them for 8 years now, I wear ear plugs with them if I am shooting my bigger stuff.

I bought mine on Amazon for under $30. I think I'm on my third set of batteries for them.

Had those at first but found the fact they cut off all sound for a ~second after a loud noise annoying. YMMV
The HLs filter out the anything over a certain db.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 09:57:55 AM »
I have the BOGO set of these sitting under the tree waiting to be unwrapped in a couple days.
https://akt1sport.com/

Haven't tried them yet; but it seemed like a great deal and they're pretty well reviewed. First saw them on Colion Noir's channel.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 12:07:39 PM »
Sorry to derail the thread, but what is well thought of for "not cheap" electric ear protection?  Not looking to spend a grand on it or anything, but I know the old stuff I have is not state of the art.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 12:26:22 PM »
Sorry to derail the thread, but what is well thought of for "not cheap" electric ear protection?  Not looking to spend a grand on it or anything, but I know the old stuff I have is not state of the art.

I went with Sordins a few years ago - the Supreme Pro X with the neckband instead of headband. The most expensive Earpro I have ever purchased at ~$300, but I was (and still am) getting really worried about cumulative damage and the Sordins had really good reviews. I've been very happy with them. Depending on what I'm shooting and where, I still occasionally double up with foam plugs, but the Sordins have a fast and reliable cut off.

Seems like a lot of the high speed youtuber former specop and whatever guys like the Peltor Comtacs, but I'm not sure how much of their price is the name, plus the built in mic and stuff. My Sordins have an AUX jack to connect to a radio.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 12:32:52 PM »
MSA Sordin's and Peltor COM-TAC's are the one's I see most often.

I have a set of Sordin's and love them. Gel cups, and comfy headband were stock, they work great and I can hear everything I need to.  I'd like a set of COM-Tac's for radio integration, but I haven't found the right deal yet.

SafariLand has a set out now that I've heard good things about, but I haven't seen them in the wild yet.

These are the Sordin's I have:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NJ6LJC7/

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022, 03:28:27 PM »
Thanks Ben and Dogmush!

I've got $200 in Amazon credits that are making the Sordins look tempting.  Those are two mic units.  A friend really likes the quad-mic units he bought for hunting.  He thinks it gives him a better directional awareness.  Have you found that to matter at all?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2022, 08:53:35 PM »
I haven't used a quad mic set up yet, but I have no issues discerning direction in my muffs.  I routinely wear them all day running .mil ranges, or at shooting classes but I haven't hunted with them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 09:01:26 PM »
Without having one of those four mic things to compare, I have no real reference on if they make a difference. On my Sordins, and the older Pro Ears before them, all I can say is that I don't notice "non-directional" sounds to any point where it has been an issue for me. I guess thinking about it now, I maybe notice a non-directional input close up, like when loading magazines or something if my eyes were closed I couldn't pinpoint the noise. I'm pretty sure I turn my head in the direction of sounds I hear farther away.

I've actually not thought about this much and will have to put my Sordins on tomorrow and walk around a bit to experiment, as I'm now curious.