Author Topic: December 22 2022 snowmageddon  (Read 2056 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: December 22 2022 snowmageddon
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2022, 02:38:12 PM »

K Frame offered:

"Of course, the people who were losing their freaking minds over the government inaction were blaming Goveror Youngkin.... who wouldn't take office for another 2 weeks.

The left is really *expletive deleted*ing dumb."

Agreed, to add:  Dumb enough to be led around by the nose by some very smart amoral leaders.  With money.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2022, 04:48:20 PM »
Dropped to -7 last night, it's back up to zero. Still windy. Still not enough new snow to worry about, but I did shovel a path through the drift on the steps to go get the mail. Yay, property tax bill.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2022, 05:29:06 PM »
My mobility scooter ran out of juice while the wife were out a bit ago, she was using it while I stayed in the SUV. BARELY made it back to the car!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2022, 05:54:20 PM »
My mobility scooter ran out of juice while the wife were out a bit ago, she was using it while I stayed in the SUV. BARELY made it back to the car!

The future is electric.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2022, 06:41:05 PM »
I went out for another wheelbarrow full of firewood before dark. It’s blowing so hard I almost couldn’t stand up in the wind. We never got above -2 today.
The only vehicle going past all day was the township plow truck.
Wind is just screaming over us like a banshee and we are tucked down in a wooded valley and somewhat sheltered.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2022, 07:09:56 PM »
My oldest was willing to brave the cold (it was around -7 at the time) for some sledding. We ran down the pipeline on the ATV and kicked up some deer who were keeping to the valley to stay out of the wind.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2022, 08:16:11 PM »
-1 here. Biggest thing this week and last weeks storm has been vertical climate. Last two days was rain here at 2000 ASL but the ridges I cross to get to work were all ice. Lots of minor tree problems when the wind picked up. I took the scenic route home from work last saturday on a forest service road to the highest spot in the area. Inch of ice on the road but the last fell as sleet so some texture. Ruins the day of Jeep bros doing Jeep things when a ford focus rolls by.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2022, 09:34:16 PM »
They should have added don't plug your electric car in to the list of Do's and Don'ts

LG&E asking customers to conserve energy as it performs rolling blackouts
https://www.wdrb.com/news/lg-e-asking-customers-to-conserve-energy-as-it-performs-rolling-blackouts/article_55bd688a-832d-11ed-96cf-473c4b1f4d31.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2022, 10:15:03 AM »
27 hours later we’re finally in the above 0 digits @1 degree.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2022, 10:28:15 AM »
Leave it to the media to throw in a Jan 6 reference into all of this https://twitter.com/redsteeze/status/1606480964192194561

The Hill gets hilariously mocked and forced to delete a tweet about how to handle canceled flights
https://twitchy.com/fuzzychimp-313137/2022/12/24/hill-gets-hilariously-mocked-forced-delete-tweet-handle-canceled-flights/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

grampster

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2022, 06:42:36 PM »
Weather gurus said we'd get 18-24 inches of snow here in south central W. Michigan about 25 miles inland from Lake Michigan.  As of this moment, I'd say about 10 inches, though they were mostly right about temps; we were in low single digits and -16 from windchill.  Winds were steady enough to wiggle trees that are bare of leaves with some fairly hefty gusts of blowing snow.  That caused some drifting.  Winds are out of the W and NW.  The east side of my house has a waist high drift on my deck and the lower patio has one maybe 18 inches with some beauts hanging off the roof on that side.

Supposed to calm down tonight and I'm going out around 8PM to do the 5th snow blow of my drive since 9PM Thursday night, 2 yesterday and 1 this morning.  It's always smart to stay ahead of potentially heavy snow or drifting.

Merry Christmas to all of you.......ummmm....whatever yin'z are.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2022, 06:49:29 PM »
Supposed to calm down tonight and I'm going out around 8PM to do the 5th snow blow of my drive since 9PM Thursday night, 2 yesterday and 1 this morning.  It's always smart to stay ahead of potentially heavy snow or drifting.

I get nowhere near the snowfall that you do, but I have certainly learned that shoveling twice during a snowstorm is twice as easy as shoveling once.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2022, 11:08:26 AM »
The cold snap is finally breaking here in Virginia.

Today it's going to barely get above freezing. Still pretty chilly out, though, but at least the wind has died down.

By the end of this coming week it's going to be pushing 60.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2022, 11:10:51 AM »
As a final gift as the storm exits my AO, we got freezing rain last night. We have a good layer of ice over the snow now to where while on patrol just now, the dawg sounded like a galloping buffalo as he ran through it.  :laugh:

All the concrete surfaces that I shoveled yesterday are now an ice slick. I usually just wear my insulated muck boots most of the Winter, but had to break out the Kamiks this morning so I wouldn't fall on my ass.

We're supposed to have multiple days of warm fronts moving through starting tomorrow night, with decent rain and highs in the 40s.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2022, 11:34:37 AM »
On a side note, I just exchanged Christmas greetings with an old friend in Cali, who told me his area is at 80deg with Santa Ana winds blowing. For those not familiar, Santa Anas are an adiabatic hot wind that blows down from the mountains to the coast, usually around 20-40mph, and just makes for some miserable dry heat. I have experienced many a "Santa Ana" (or "Sundowner", in Santa Barbara) Christmas, and will happily deal with ice on the ground instead.  =)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2022, 12:48:56 PM »
We're supposed to be in the 70s by mid week.

Talked to my lady friend in Butte - they're 35 today. Still a bit chilly, but that's 70 degrees warmer than it was a few days ago.

Oh, and one of her neighbors has 2 kids - teenage boys - who were going for haircuts a couple of days ago. The 16 year old wanted to go wearing short pants, a t-shirt, and sandals . . . with -35 degree temperatures and who knows HOW low the wind chill was.   :facepalm:  (His Mom said no.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2022, 05:12:04 PM »
Mrs. Mush and I went camping up in GA through the storm.
Friday night was nippy in the tent. Mid single digits, but it was in the teens last night. Not too bad.

Not a lot of crowds at the state parks though.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2022, 05:41:08 PM »
Mrs. Mush and I went camping up in GA through the storm.
Friday night was nippy in the tent. Mid single digits, but it was in the teens last night. Not too bad.

Not a lot of crowds at the state parks though.
I love winter tent camping. My wife? Never no
Way not happening.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2022, 06:17:50 PM »
I love winter tent camping. My wife? Never no
Way not happening.

Maybe you're doing the wrong kind of tent camping. Try this:

https://youtu.be/zs5ya9nw__g?t=39

=D

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2022, 07:04:20 PM »
Winter camping can definitely be fun, but this week isn't the ideal conditions.

Still single digit temps, but the wind has dropped off.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2022, 07:19:28 PM »
My bud Aaron runs a shooting range.

EVERY purchase - I mean EVERY purchase that is made goes on a Cabela's visa. That does points.

Damn, but he knows how to glamp.
Blog under construction