Author Topic: One more icon lost  (Read 2736 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: One more icon lost
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 04:29:30 PM »
I recognize there are and were many tribes, many of them allied to European settlers. I was speaking more to tribes like the Apache, who until recent times were considered rather ruthless. Some modern accounts would portray them as puppy dogs that never took a single hair off a settler (or other tribes for that matter).

I've read some accounts (and they may be true, which is why I'd like to read further) that say it was the whites who started scalping, and the Indians copied it.
I have always liked Louis L'Amour's view.  They weren't all evil or all good, but they were hunters and warrior which I think the modern liberal interpretation ignores. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 02:22:21 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 08:56:44 AM »
I have always liked Louis L'Amour's view.  They weren't all evil or all good, but they were hunters and warrior which I think the modern liberal interpretation ignores. 

According to the late Tony Hillerman, who was acclaimed by the Navajo for his accurate portrayal of the Navajo people in his Jim Chee novels, the Hopi referred to the Navajo as "head bashers."

For example.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »
According to the late Tony Hillerman, who was acclaimed by the Navajo for his accurate portrayal of the Navajo people in his Jim Chee novels, the Hopi referred to the Navajo as "head bashers."

For example.

Our culture has been ignoring the evil and barbaric sides of the aboriginal peoples of the Americas for many years. For example, historians and anthropologists had doubted the existence of the "skull pyramid" of the Aztecs, as reported by the Conquistadors.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5893933/The-horror-Aztec-tower-skulls-revealed.html

Until they have found evidence recently. (As outlined in the article)

Humans are barbaric and evil, all over the world. There is no such thing as the "Noble Savage." That, of course, doesn't stop the oikophobic left from thinking that Western Civilization destroyed all these wonderful, perfect pre-existing cultures.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
"skull pyramid" of the Aztecs

My wife and I, when we hear an odd phrase, like to debate whether it would work better as band name, or as the name of a pro wrestling move. "Skull pyramid of the Aztecs" is a tough one.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 09:35:35 AM »
Our culture has been ignoring the evil and barbaric sides of the aboriginal peoples of the Americas for many years. For example, historians and anthropologists had doubted the existence of the "skull pyramid" of the Aztecs, as reported by the Conquistadors.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5893933/The-horror-Aztec-tower-skulls-revealed.html

Until they have found evidence recently. (As outlined in the article)

Humans are barbaric and evil, all over the world. There is no such thing as the "Noble Savage." That, of course, doesn't stop the oikophobic left from thinking that Western Civilization destroyed all these wonderful, perfect pre-existing cultures.

From what I have read of peer reviewed anthropology papers and other articles on the Aztecs, what the Aztecs were proven to have done puts the most hyperbolic western novel descriptions of tribes like the Apache to shame.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 09:48:53 AM »
Scalping was invented independently in both Europe and the Americas.  Both practiced it.

I have not read it, but this is supposed to be an excellent book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KN3MDG/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2018, 08:13:27 PM »
Just bought a 9 volume set of her works. My children will enjoy it.

I know I did when I read them as a child.  Of course, I did have a mad celebrity crush on Melissa Gilbert starting with her first random appearances on TV commercials of the time.  Then Little House on the Prairie started running on TV.  *HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY*

I have always liked Louis L'Amour's view.  They weren't all evil or all good, but they were hunters and warrior which I think the modern liberal interpretation ignores

Concur. 
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 10:18:36 PM »
I know I did when I read them as a child.  Of course, I did have a mad celebrity crush on Melissa Gilbert starting with her first random appearances on TV commercials of the time.  Then Little House on the Prairie started running on TV.  *HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY*

Concur. 

Concur.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2018, 02:00:18 AM »

My wife and I, when we hear an odd phrase, like to debate whether it would work better as band name, or as the name of a pro wrestling move. "Skull pyramid of the Aztecs" is a tough one.

Maybe the name of a candy bar.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.