Author Topic: Panera Bread Opens "Donations Only" Cafe  (Read 1535 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Panera Bread Opens "Donations Only" Cafe
« on: January 24, 2013, 12:34:57 AM »
I'm not sure if they're going for the "pay it forward" model or the "guilty rich" model. Either way it appears they're not using any taxpayer dollars, so more power to them.

I'm just not sure how well it will wok. I've never spent enough time in Boston to know if there's a big enough structure of supporters. I know several cities in CA where it would probably work (as in a critical mass of limo liberals paying more than the meal costs to support the people paying nothing). I do question how it cost a million dollars to build the cafe. Why not buy or rent a preexisting building and use all the money you save to help support the free meal people?

http://smallbusiness.foxbusiness.com/marketing-sales/2013/01/23/panera-opens-free-food-suggested-donations-only-cafes/?intcmp=sbcfeatures
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Panera Bread Opens "Donations Only" Cafe
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:02:45 AM »
I'd bet there is a substantial tax write off in there somewhere.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 02:10:06 AM »
It's a good PR move at the very least, but here's my prediction:

Homeless bums and shady people will flock to it in droves, driving away most of those who are willing to pay for a meal.  The location will close, or revert to a normal Panera cafe, within a year.  It won't make the news.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »
Panera's prices are ridiculously high for what you get anyway, and I'll bet in the Boston market they're a lot higher than in my little burg. I go there maybe twice a year, because the retired pastor of my church likes it so I sometimes (reluctantly) agree to meet him there. I would pay the "suggested" amount, but at their prices there's no way I'd pay MORE than the posted price.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »
I love it.

No sales... means no sales tax. >:D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »
Panera (at least around here) is awesome. Really good sammitches, endless refills on coffee and soft drinks, and they don't care if you stay a few hours, have a meeting, whatever. And free wifi.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
The local Panera hippie enclaves are posted no guns. I don't go there.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 07:32:28 PM »

Interesting, here they're not posted.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 07:47:21 PM »
Interesting, here they're not posted.

Not posted in VA that I've noticed either.

Chris

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 04:10:19 PM »
I seem to recall this being done once before, locally here...  I'll have to go dig...  But it ended exactly like this:

It's a good PR move at the very least, but here's my prediction:

Homeless bums and shady people will flock to it in droves, driving away most of those who are willing to pay for a meal.  The location will close, or revert to a normal Panera cafe, within a year.  It won't make the news.

Here's a brief blurb about the one here in Portland:  http://consumerist.com/2011/09/29/why-paneras-pay-what-you-can-restaurant-didnt-work-in-portland/

This was in 2011...  I haven't heard much about it since then...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 11:48:17 AM »

The two locations I frequent are not posted. There are something like a hundred Paneras here, since this is their home base (I guess that's why we don't have Starbucks on every corner). I can't check all of their locations here, but I wouldn't mind trying.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 12:19:37 PM »
I seem to recall this being done once before, locally here...  I'll have to go dig...  But it ended exactly like this:

Here's a brief blurb about the one here in Portland:  http://consumerist.com/2011/09/29/why-paneras-pay-what-you-can-restaurant-didnt-work-in-portland/

This was in 2011...  I haven't heard much about it since then...

Huh. It's almost counter-intuitive that it failed in Portland but succeeded in St Louis and Detroit.

Then again, very liberal cities also tend to put up with more crap from The Homeless*. A few years back we started getting a ton of aggressive homeless on the main drag here and they would actually spit at and threaten people who didn't give them money. It was amazing how many locals defended them. The only reason something was finally done is that the main drag brings in a ton of tourist money, including a lot of international dough. When bad press started going international, they finally had the cops start enforcing loitering laws.

*The Homeless being those who seem to embrace the lifestyle versus those truly and temporarily down on their luck.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »
Huh. It's almost counter-intuitive that it failed in Portland but succeeded in St Louis and Detroit.

I had totally forgotten they had one of those here. It has apparently worked, in tony, downtown Clayton, since May 2010. Maybe it helps that it's across the street from county police headquarters, and it's a very up-scale area.

It's not posted, either, which is good, since StL County CCW'ers are getting/renewing our permits across the street from the place.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 03:33:31 PM »
The "Detroit" location is actually in Dearborn, a suburb of Detroit.  Huge difference.