Author Topic: Tisas 1911?  (Read 4332 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tisas 1911?
« on: March 03, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »
Anyone ever here of these? I just got a Bud's Gun Shop email where they rave about it for quality at the price point. Just north of $400.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_1225/products_id/411552921/TISAS+Classic+1911-A1+45ACP+5%22+GI+BLACK
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Tisas 1911?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:21:43 PM »
First I'm hearing. Based on other Turk imports, may give Armscor a run for their money.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 11:26:42 PM »
Turkish friend of mine says they're great. Maybe he's biased. If i hadn't found my old XD45 for sale again, i'd be ordering one.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 11:29:18 PM »
Review here: http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=110

There's one in the sales display at the range where I shoot. I've handled it -- looks to be pretty well made, not a lot of stray machining marks, and as tight as most mid-range 1911s on the market today.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 11:33:18 PM »
Bummer if it really has Series-80 lockwork.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 12:06:23 PM »
Bummer if it really has Series-80 lockwork.   =(

Can you elaborate? I know less than nothing about 1911s.

Does this make it an unattractive choice at 400 bucks?

Also, from the review

manufactured in Turkey by Trabzon

The one at Buds is a TISAS, which from some research appears to be a different company.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »
Can you elaborate? I know less than nothing about 1911s.

Does this make it an unattractive choice at 400 bucks?

Also, from the review

The one at Buds is a TISAS, which from some research appears to be a different company.

S80 lockworks have a Glock/XD style interrupt on the firing pin, so that the firing pin is mechanically incapable of moving forward enough to strike the primer unless the interrupt is moved out of position.  A little tab rises up and pushes the block out of the way so that the firing pin has free range of motion.

This is typically done during the trigger stroke, but the spring force to accomplish this adds to the weight of the trigger pull.  It's only a few ounces, but 1911 purists pretty soundly dislike it.

Not hard to yank out... but it leaves an extra hole in your slide that's visible during disassembly, and a place for fouling to get into the firing pin channel.

Both my Colts have S80 triggers.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 01:35:15 PM »
Series 80 lockwork makes John Moses Browning (PBUH) spin at high RPMs in his grave.

The 1911 as sold to Colt by JMB had two safeties already incorporated into the design - the thumb safety and grip safety.  

These worked just fine until Colt invented the whole Series 80 plunger monkey-motion.  It was something of a solution in search of a problem.

It adds extra drag and linkage to what was previously a nice clean trigger assembly.  In addition to tripping the sear notch, your trigger pull now pushes a spring-loaded plunger up into the slide, freeing the firing pin to once again move forward.

The flip side is, if you remove it to make it function closer to the original 1911 lockwork, you've officially removed a safety device in the eyes of the lawyers (both criminal and civil suit).  That's not a defensive gun show-stopper, but one should be ready to explain it under cross-examination.    =(

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 02:39:42 PM »
You can find Rock Island Armory pistols starting at about $420 at Golden State Tactical.  I would bet after the transfer and DROS you would spend the same on the Tisas.

http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/category-s/1818.htm

I had no plans on buying another pistol until I had made it back to friendly lines but I might just go ahead and order one at that price.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »
Is the S80 safety that little piece of metal that sticks up from the frame that I have managed to break off twice now on two different guns because I didn't realize it was sticking up when I slid the slide back on? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 05:10:21 PM »
Yup.  That's part of the whole Series 80 mechanism.  The breakable part you're referring to is called the "Upper Sear Lever".

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 05:42:53 PM »
manufactured in Turkey by Trabzon

Same company. One is the name of the company, the other is the name of the town.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 09:18:48 PM »
S80 lockworks have a Glock/XD style interrupt on the firing pin, so that the firing pin is mechanically incapable of moving forward enough to strike the primer unless the interrupt is moved out of position.  A little tab rises up and pushes the block out of the way so that the firing pin has free range of motion.

This is typically done during the trigger stroke, but the spring force to accomplish this adds to the weight of the trigger pull.  It's only a few ounces, but 1911 purists pretty soundly dislike it.

Only the ignorant ones. Those of us who actually know 1911s have shown that it's easy to get a Series 80 trigger down to well below safe limits with little effort. The firing pin safety adds at most an ounce or two to the pull weight -- it's imperceptible.

Further, a very knowledgeable "gun guy" named Walt Kuleck and an associate named Drake Oldham have conducted a series of drop tests, and they have shown that a 1911 dropped on its muzzle WILL go off if the drop is even from waist high. And the floor doesn't have to be solid concrete. The prevailing wisdom prior to Walt and Drake's tests was that you couldn't induce a drop fire from less than about fifteen feet up. These newer test results have changed a lot of attitudes about the Series 80 firing pin safety.

All the 1911s in my normal carry rotation have it. And they all have very acceptable triggers.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 11:18:51 PM »
Ditto, hawk.  Both mine remain completely unmolested and I carry no animosity towards it, unlike the S&W wind up socket.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 11:55:23 PM »
Yup...  My Colt 1991-A1 is a series 80, and I'm glad for it...   And after using the slipstream, the trigger is scary light...  I love it...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 08:52:04 AM »
No, not ignorant.

That's like saying people who abhor the S&W zit are ignorant.

I received my gaggle of 1911s from folks named Armand Swenson and Dick Bancroft.  (aka, Old School, light glass-rod triggers)

They are my IPSC and carry guns.  I can honestly say I don't make a habit of dropping them on the muzzle, ala' Walt Kuleck. 

I can't repeat in polite company what I heard from these two 'smiths and my fellow IPSC gang regarding Series 80 monkey-motion.

I don't own any ZitSmith revolvers, either - mine are all from before that abortion.    ;)