Author Topic: 250lb Fish Caught Using Piranha as Bait  (Read 1403 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
250lb Fish Caught Using Piranha as Bait
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:32:36 PM »
Never heard of it, but it's apparently the largest fresh water fish species in the world. Interesting use of a Piranha, which I have never thought of as a "bait fish". :)

http://www.pawnation.com/2013/03/06/man-catches-250lb-monster-fish-using-a-piranha-as-bait/?test=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: 250lb Fish Caught Using Piranha as Bait
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:38:03 PM »
 :O
Formerly sumpnz

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 11:47:52 PM »
someone thought exporting amazon giant fish species to Malaysia would improve the sport fishery
http://www.fishthailand.co.uk/species/arapaima.html
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 05:36:08 AM »
Did you know that you can fish piranha without a hook?

Edit: and no net either...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:44:29 AM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
Interesting article.  Seems to be a PR thing for Towson.  I have to admit that I have enjoyed the Monster Fish series on TV.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:01:28 PM »
Never heard of it, but it's apparently the largest fresh water fish species in the world.
Wonder how it compares in size to Nile perch, Beluga sturgeon, or Mekong catfish.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 03:26:23 PM »
http://bangkokhooker-fishing.com/2011/02/an-anglers-review-arapaima-vs-the-mekong-giant/

With so much recent fame and hype I wonder, is this fish really that great? Having caught several arapaimas here and there I’ll give it a comparison to Thailand’s local freshwater heavy-weight, the Mekong giant catfish, in a no-holds-barred battle of the giants in today’s Angler’s Review: Arapaima vs. the Mekong Giant.

Round 1: Appearance

Arapaima

Long, slender and armed with a colourful set of green and red scales the arapaima looks like a mythological dragon as it slowly surfaces its long body for air.

Mekong giant

No matter how you look at it, this scaleless, stocky, awkward and skin-coloured giant looks like a penis.

Winner: Arapaima

Round 2 Convenience

Arapaima

I could count all the arapaima ponds in Thailand on my two hands.

Mekong giant

It would be impossible to count all the ponds that stock the Mekong giant.

Winner: Mekong giant

Round 3 Prestige

Arapaima: This fish eats other fish and when threatened it can fly out of the water like a rocket. Also… two words, River Monsters.

Mekong giant: This fish is a big hulking vegetarian that is critically endangered on the International Union for Conservation of Nature.

Winner: Arapaima. More people watch River Monsters than read about the IUCN.

Round 4: Price

Arapaima: The cheapest arapaima pond I know charges B500 per rod but it’s a lure/fly only pond. For bait fishing you can pay anywhere from B3,000 all the way to B20,000 per rod.

Mekong giant: I know a pond that stocks the Mekong giant that charges B50 per rod.

Winner: Mekong giant.

Round 5: The Fight

Arapaima: Despite their large size the arapaimas aren’t much of a fighter. Being an air-breather they can’t fight for long. After a few minutes they’ll run out of breath and just give up. The angler is basically left pulling in an inanimate deadweight through the water.

Mekong giant: According to the staff at 7 Seas Pro Shop at Bungsamran the Japanese companies used to offer one-year warranties on the fishing rods they sold but quickly retracted it after too many people claimed the insurance. The rods just didn’t hold up and most of them would break from the strain that these underwater locomotives could deliver. When people go fishing for Mekong giants they don’t say, “good luck”. Instead, they say, “hope you get a sore back”.

Winner: Mekong giant.

Conclusion: Whichever fish wins the fight is truly subjective. It’s all about what we want in a fish. Do we want something photogenic that looks good on our facebook profile or do we want a strenuous fight that will leave us on a chemical high afterwards?

The arapaima’s strength is simply in its scarcity, beauty and international acclaim however with more and more ponds stocking the amazonian river monster the fish is beginning to lose its elusive charm. In fact, the arapaima is like a beautiful high-maintanence woman with no bedroom skills: you only feel proud of holding her in public but when things get down and dirty there just isn’t much to look forward to unless you are using a sensitive rod. The Mekong giant catfish, on the other hand, is the opposite. It’s like an unattractive girl with epic bedroom skills that will leave the angler tired, sweaty and ecstatic until the very end and best hooked with a strong stiff rod.

So in my books the Mekong giant catfish wins this one.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »
Arapaima was the first thing that came to mind when I read the headline.
Kind of an uglier fresh water answer to the Tarpon.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama