Author Topic: Inmate Left in Solitary for Two Years Wins Big  (Read 1504 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Inmate Left in Solitary for Two Years Wins Big
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »
To the tune of $15.5mil.

The guy sounds like he was a *expletive deleted*che who needed jail time, but being locked away to the point of being in the condition the article claims is something I would expect out of a North Korean prison, not a county lockup in the US.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/07/155m-settlement-reached-in-nm-confinement-case/?test=latestnews

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: Inmate Left in Solitary for Two Years Wins Big
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
How long, given his priors, will he last with that much money in his pocket? 

I see his case, given the situation and the way the prison handled things. 

Time will tell.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »
How long, given his priors, will he last with that much money in his pocket?  

I see his case, given the situation and the way the prison handled things.  

Time will tell.

He supposedly has lung cancer.  Probably not too long.

It sounds like that county lockup has some serious procedural deficits that they need to fix.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »
Why he gave up the punitive award is questionable based on my personal speculations of how he got "left" in solitary.  My guess is, like some Lottery winners who take the quick lump-sum cash rather than the 20-year annuity, he decided that more time litigating was not for him.

Presuming the jail was accredited by BoJ (darned hard to find one that isn't, unless temporarily lost it and under some sort of court order/settlement agreement/consent decree leading to reaccredidation) there were policies and procedures by the score that had to have been violated.  While the story does not directly say so, it sounds like the Sherrif and just about every deputy working in the jail somehow got out of personal liability and the County took the hit.  THat means the taxpayers of the County get to pay off the guy while the Sherrif and Deputies keep their houses, cars, pensions and jobs.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »
^^^ It is more likely that the County's insurer took the hit.  Albeit the self-insured retention and any subsequent higher premiums will be passed along to the taxpayers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »
Well I for one, am glad due process worked.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:10:25 PM »
^^^ It is more likely that the County's insurer took the hit.  Albeit the self-insured retention and any subsequent higher premiums will be passed along to the taxpayers.

the county paid the bulk from their reserves

its sad but the way jails are i can see how a guy like this could fall between the cracks.  bet its a wakeup for a lot of places
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »
Well I for one, am glad due process worked.

Pity it took 2 years to work. A lot of damage can occur in two years.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 09:41:52 PM »
He had to take out his own tooth?

He's lucky he got fed.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »
The Kafka factor is off the charts with this case.  [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 08:25:06 AM »

Guy deserved every penny. Being left for 2 years in lockup for two years without trial is... insane. How the heck does any jail let that happen? Don't they keep count of their inmates, and what their current status is? No person wondered "Why's this guy in here for X months with no trial?"
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »
Guy deserved every penny. Being left for 2 years in lockup for two years without trial is... insane. How the heck does any jail let that happen? Don't they keep count of their inmates, and what their current status is? No person wondered "Why's this guy in here for X months with no trial?"

Dude, he had "mental health issues"!  P'rolly the ones you get from being left in solitary confinement for more than 60 days at a stretch.  (That's the BoJ "standard" - beyond that is considered cruel and unusual by the APA.  Many courts agree with them.)  Everybody knows you don't go near the crazy guys.

But as per the article, "improvements" have been made.  And nobody lost their job.  A win/win all around, no?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 09:31:09 AM »
I want to know who had a hand in ignoring a real problem.  I want an investigation of what happened and why and if key players had malice aforethought I want them in the slammer.  We are way too willing to excuse "system failure" when in reality what happened boils down to individual decision and preferences.  This kind of crap will cease when those responsible pay the price personally rather than suffering a bad review.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Inmate Left in Solitary for Two Years Wins Big
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 10:08:50 AM »
I can see how it happened. You have crazy guy in a cell. Everyone ignores crazy guy and what he says. If i remember right they only discovered this mistake "by accident" i don't recall him initiating the squawk. The system inside is predicated on the inmate sticking up for himself. When you get a guy who can't or won't hes screwed. Guys like this need advocates

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Inmate Left in Solitary for Two Years Wins Big
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »
I can see how it happened. You have crazy guy in a cell. Everyone ignores crazy guy and what he says. If i remember right they only discovered this mistake "by accident" i don't recall him initiating the squawk. The system inside is predicated on the inmate sticking up for himself. When you get a guy who can't or won't hes screwed. Guys like this need advocates

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like the county hospital.  My wife gives those too incapacitated to help themselves as much extra attention as she can.  Sadly, those who are least sick tend to make the most noise.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton