Author Topic: How Thick is Your Bubble?  (Read 10699 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: How Thick is Your Bubble?
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »

On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 13 and 16.

In other words, you don't even have a bubble.

Don't care about NASCAR nor have I ever let Oprah on my TV.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 11:28:45 PM »
Scored between 13-16.
"In other words, you don't even have a bubble."

I've been in a local union hall before, but not for any kind of a meeting.  Might have scored a little higher, otherwise, if I had answered that question differently.
Had to join the IBEW when I worked in TV many years ago.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 11:49:15 PM »
5-8. Quit drinking and smoking, so that didn't help.

Ouch, my  score as well  -- and I don't smoke and drink very rarely.

But I do have windex to keep the bubble clear.  [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 12:00:34 AM »
13-16, But how meaningless. So yes answers identify mainstream American culture? Since when is crappy beer and sorry movies mainstream?  :lol: Hell, 3 in 100 serve in the military, so that's not mainstream and that got me 3 answers directly( Served in armed forces, wore a uniform, rode greyhound) and several more indirectly. If inside the bubble is the more finite space, ask some questions which affirmative response to peg you as in the bubble. Like what is arugula? Do you shop at Trader Joe's? Should Susan Saradon be our UN ambassador?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 12:29:03 AM »
I buy arugula at Trader Joe's.  Susan Sarandon, meh.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 12:36:16 AM »
What's arugula?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 12:40:56 AM »
5-8

Guess living in another country plus every major geographical region of the USA, working in a juvie prison, and living in a rural area don't qualify as getting out enough.
Formerly sumpnz

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 12:44:01 AM »
What's arugula?

Highfalutin' word for radish greens.
"It's good, though..."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 12:49:02 AM »
"13-16: We deem you culturally acceptable or at least redeemable. You will be exempted from the first round of processing for 'special treatment' but may be subject to appropriate re-education."

>:D

But yeah, I'm just so glad that I fit into some liberal professor's opinion of what constitutes open minded and culturally educated.  ;/

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 01:11:19 AM »
On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 13 and 16.

Is it just me or does that thing come off a little arrogant? I
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 01:13:45 AM »
you scored between 13 and 16.

And I'm a curmudgeon and semi-hermit.  If it were not for a mis-spent youth I would probably be between 1 and 0.

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2013, 06:53:40 AM »
9-12
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2013, 08:19:59 AM »

I failed on NASCAR, pickup and Oprah. Pickup thing I'll hopefully resolve. Oprah and NASCAR I hopefully will not. I'm not sure if "plant floor" thing counts if it's aerospace "factory" making hundred million dollar aircraft, but they were nonspecific.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »
21  but I ain't got no idee what they's talkin 'bout.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2013, 10:18:42 AM »
0-4. Guess I'm doing something right.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2013, 10:34:36 AM »
On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 5 and 8.

In other words, you can see through your bubble, but you need to get out more.

That about made me collapse a lung.

I actually drive a pickup with rust holes in it. I'm, apparently, upper class.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »
9-12...

I don't think it's possible to be raised and live in the Milwaukee metro with a full "bubble" no matter what your household or class-background was.

I scored a 0-4. However, I think that's the result of answering strictly the "letter of the question."

I used to fish regularly in high school, I just haven't had the time in the past "five" years, so I answered "no."

I have eaten at Applebee's/etc., just not in the "past year" because I don't eat out regularly (it's expensive!), so I answered "no."

Neither me nor my fiancee have served in the military (so I answered no), but both of my grandfathers served enlisted roles in the military and told stories about it as I grew up.

I didn't grow up in a neighborhood where the majority didn't have college degrees (so I answered "no"), but both of my mom's parents came from northern WI farming families, didn't even finish high school, and my grandfather worked as a trucker his whole life.

So, having grown up in the Milwaukee area, I'm having a hard time believing that my score really indicates a "deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble."

Andy

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »
If I went to a union hall or even a NASCAR race and talked about watching Oprah, I think I'd get kicked out. How does Oprah fit?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
If I went to a union hall or even a NASCAR race and talked about watching Oprah, I think I'd get kicked out. How does Oprah fit?

I was wondering that as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
13 and 16.

I live in Iowa, enough said.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »
On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble,  you scored at least 17.

In other words, you're so embedded in mainstream America that you need to visit the bubble once in a while

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
What's arugula?

Something vegetarians eat.

My Dad, the retired farmer, would be able to tell you about it, from reading farming trade rags.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2013, 02:10:07 PM »
Score 5-8?

Too many questions which make invalid assumptions. One example:

Have you ever participated in a parade that did not involve global warming, gay rights, or a war protest?

This seems to assume that I have participated in, or at least sympathize with, parades in support those causes.

I work in Detroit and am, while at work, surrounded by Black Detroiters.

I was raised as a military brat. I have lived in Asia for 9.5 years. My wife is an immigrant. We have lived, for the last 21 years, in a blue-collar neighborhood.

What "upper class" bubble am I supposed to be isolated in?
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »
On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 9 and 12.

In other words, even if you're part of the new upper class, you've had a lot of exposure to the rest of America

I live in one of the last parts of the county that has not been gentrified. I live in a trailer. I, technically, fall into the social class of working poor. I smoke (and except my dad I *don't* spend alot of time with people who smoke)

I somehow doubt the validity of this test...

Although I will confess, I have watched full episodes of Oprah, and even liked them. :O
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds