Author Topic: How Thick is Your Bubble?  (Read 10694 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: How Thick is Your Bubble?
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2013, 04:52:51 PM »
I live in one of the last parts of the county that has not been gentrified. I live in a trailer. I, technically, fall into the social class of working poor. I smoke (and except my dad I *don't* spend alot of time with people who smoke)

I somehow doubt the validity of this test...

Although I will confess, I have watched full episodes of Oprah, and even liked them. :O

Yeah...there's lots of things wrong with this test. Mainly that the professor who designed it seems to have  a narrow, somewhat stereotypical view of working class.

I think the Applebees/TGI Fridays/Outback Steakhouse question is the dumbest of the lot. Where I grew up, near the Middle of Nowhere, Nevada, you had to drive at least four hours to find any one of those establishments. Hence, I rarely ate at any of them. I've never eaten at TGI Fridays, for instance, have only eaten at Outback Steakhouse once that I recall, and only occasionally eat at Applebees because my mother likes it, and we'd sometimes eat there when we were in Reno or another town that had one. But, according to this guy, that's evidence that I lived in an elite bubble because I grew up in a hardscrabble mining town whose only chain restaurant was a McDonald's.  ;/
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

HankB

• friend
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »
5-8

I guess they want me to watch Oprah. (not likely.)

And be a NASCAR fanboy. (Uh-uh.)

And hang out with smokers. (Nope.)

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
Yeah...there's lots of things wrong with this test. Mainly that the professor who designed it seems to have  a narrow, somewhat stereotypical view of working class.

+1
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »

I think the Applebees/TGI Fridays/Outback Steakhouse question is the dumbest of the lot. Where I grew up, near the Middle of Nowhere, Nevada, you had to drive at least four hours to find any one of those establishments. Hence, I rarely ate at any of them. I've never eaten at TGI Fridays, for instance, have only eaten at Outback Steakhouse once that I recall, and only occasionally eat at Applebees because my mother likes it, and we'd sometimes eat there when we were in Reno or another town that had one. But, according to this guy, that's evidence that I lived in an elite bubble because I grew up in a hardscrabble mining town whose only chain restaurant was a McDonald's.  ;/

Actually, I think he is mistaken in his definitions of class.

From what I have observed those resterants are mostly inhabited by middle to upper middle class suburbanites who have a relativly narrow world veiw, which is his sterotype of mainstream American culture.

His understanding of "lower" classes is seriously distortated by his inhabitation of the academic ivory tower "elite".

Dude needs to do more feild research.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2013, 07:24:56 PM »
Maybe we could get some extra points if there was a question about guns.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the test designers — who are judging us and other Americans through their own distorted bubbles — might also have distorted views of those with a interest in them.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
Actually, I think he is mistaken in his definitions of class.

From what I have observed those resterants are mostly inhabited by middle to upper middle class suburbanites who have a relativly narrow world veiw, which is his sterotype of mainstream American culture.

His understanding of "lower" classes is seriously distortated by his inhabitation of the academic ivory tower "elite".

Dude needs to do more feild research.

True. Those places aren't exactly cheap. Denny's would probably have been a better one for a non-fast food chain restaurant. Or pick-your-random truck stop restaurant.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2013, 08:40:46 PM »
True. Those places aren't exactly cheap. Denny's would probably have been a better one for a non-fast food chain restaurant. Or pick-your-random truck stop restaurant.

I'd rather eat at Denny's than Applebees any day.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2013, 09:51:11 PM »

Same here. Cheaper AND tastier.

I'm still a little mad there isn't one in my current county. We've got a crappy Ruby Tuesday's, but no Denny's.  :facepalm:

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2013, 08:18:19 AM »
The test seems to assume that there is one American culture divided into bubble levels — if one is not a commoner, then one is insulated in an upper-class bubble. That is not the case.

(Might I note that my inner-city Black students are just as bubble-insulated from knowledge of the characters of those in the upper classes as the upper classes are insulated from knowledge of their characters?)   

Some of us are mixed culturally, some are Third Culture Kids (TCKs – also called TransCultural Kids) who, depending on ones point of view, are either in no insulating bubble or are in bubbles that are neither upper nor lower ("common") class American.

I have to admit that I have so little knowledge of the string restaurants mentioned that I don't know what "class" they are supposed to represent. We usually go to family run ethnic places, most often Asian, in which I am often the only non-Asian — and since I can't see myself, I don't feel "different."
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:37:45 AM by cambeul41 »
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2013, 11:10:16 AM »
Scored between 9 and 12.  I haven't watched NASCAR since they quit racing stock cars.  chris3

HankB

• friend
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2013, 11:20:02 AM »
Not me.

Last time I ate in a Denny's - breakfast on a business trip - the only thing palatable was the coffee.

Barely.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »
There is an Applebee's one mile from the house.  We can walk there, have the 2 for $ 20 special; she has the house merlot, I have an IPA, and we can get out of there for $ 38 with tax and tip.  We think the food is OK.  Nothing really special but OK.  My wife likes it more than I do.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2013, 12:33:34 PM »
My biggest cultural isolation is that I'm a central WI hick from the sticks now living in on the fringes of artsy fartsy yuppieland.
My wife complains that I don't have many friends or I don't socialize much. Translation= I have very little in common with most of the dads of the kids that my kids go to school with and I'm not particularly interested in socializing with them. The people I do talk to and have a weekly beer with are coworkers and guys at the local gun club.

Applebees/TGIs are fake soulless facsimiles of restaurants.
Real question should have been have you eaten at greasy spoon/truckstop restaurant in the last year.

Nascar? Bah. Any sport that has a 'fantasy league' is firmly in the bubble. Question should be have you ever taken a date/wife/kids to an event involving monster trucks/tractor pulls/demolition derby/ or a race on dirt or ice tracks?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:41:01 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »
9-12; Apparently having asthma can help lead to cultural isolationism.  ???

Sure I have friends who smoke. We just don't hang out while they are smoking because I like to not have asthma attacks, and they agree.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2013, 02:04:19 AM »
Result

On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 9 and 12.

In other words, even if you're part of the new upper class, you've had a lot of exposure to the rest of America.

I try to stay detached from the rest of America these days.......... or at least the 47%.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2013, 11:16:10 AM »
The test designer needs to experience more than what they stereotype as 'class'.  I don't have a bubble according to them but all my friends are solidly middle class, as am I.  We just happen to get out of the house more, it seems.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2013, 11:41:16 AM »

I would too, but I went an Applebees in the last six months and I was somewhat impressed by their food compared to past experiences. The price seemed to match the quality and I would go there again if my friends or wife wanted to go there.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »
you scored between 9 and 12

I had a pretty solidly middle class upbringing, so yeah.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »
I'm a 5-8 as well, which I don't really understand given some of my answers...

Then again, I don't really give a rat's ass if I'm culturally and class isolated or not.

What really interests me, though, is that they conceive of this being the most class-isolated point in American history.

I'm not sure whether they're idiots who have no clue how to crack a history book, or just weeping liberal aholes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2013, 01:32:22 PM »
"I'd rather eat at Denny's than Applebees any day."

I'd rather drill my skull with Barbara Streisand's voice than eat at a Denny's.

I'll travel to get to an Appleby's.

I'll travel to get the hell away from a Denny's.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2013, 04:55:17 PM »
What is middle class?

Y'all keep saying "I'm middle class" or "I have middle class upbringing"

So what is that?

Is it money?
Everyone from $35k/yr to $400k/yr claim to be "middle class". But the $35k/yr guy is not gonna look at the $400k/y guy a middle class, and vice-verse.
Is it net worth?
See above.
Is it a type of house?
Living in the city and owning a house was a medieval and ancient Roman measure of middle class. Not always a good indicator today. (the working poor rented apmts in ancient Rome, and ate fast food everyday because apmts didn't have kitchens.)
Is it white culture?
 ;/
Is it 1-3 kids and stable family?
Is it a non-criminal, but also does not have political connections?
(huge swath of america)

All of these things?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »
Emcee:  Now Karl has elected to answer questions on the workers' control of factories so here we go with question number one. Are you nervous? (Karl nods his head; the emcee reads from a card) The development of the industrial proletariat is conditioned by what other development?

Karl Marx: The development of the industrial bourgeoisie.

*applause*

Emcee: Yes, yes, it is indeed. You're on your way to the lounge suite, Karl. Question number two. The struggle of class against class is a what struggle? A what struggle?

Marx : A political struggle.

*Tumultuous applause*

Emcee: Yes, yes! One final question Karl and the beautiful lounge suite will be yours... Are you going to have a go? (Karl nods) You're a brave man. Karl Marx, your final question, who won the Cup Final in 1949?

Marx: The workers' control of the means of production? The struggle of the urban proletariat?

Emcee: No. It was in fact, Wolverhampton Wanderers who beat Leicester 3-1.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »
What is middle class?

So what is that?

What are the guys on Duck Dynasty?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2013, 08:02:17 PM »
What is middle class?

So what is that?

Is it money?
Everyone from $35k/yr to $400k/yr claim to be "middle class". But the $35k/yr guy is not gonna look at the $400k/y guy a middle class, and vice-verse.
Is it net worth?
See above.
Is it a type of house?
Living in the city and owning a house was a medieval and ancient Roman measure of middle class. Not always a good indicator today. (the working poor rented apmts in ancient Rome, and ate fast food everyday because apmts didn't have kitchens.)
Is it white culture?
 ;/
Is it 1-3 kids and stable family?
Is it a non-criminal, but also does not have political connections?
(huge swath of america)

All of these things?

Most americans idetify as middle class, period.

It goes:
Poor
Working poor
Working
Middle
Upper middle
Rich

Most are actually working class, rather them middle, and most upper middle don't always add the "upper", but our cultural idenity as Americans generally results in people always identifing as middle, even when they're actually not.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2013, 11:08:14 PM »
What are the guys on Duck Dynasty?

El Tejon's neighbors.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"