Author Topic: AP: Obama aunt from Kenya living in US illegally  (Read 6020 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
AP: Obama aunt from Kenya living in US illegally
« on: November 01, 2008, 02:09:09 AM »
just saw this on drudge   

AP: Obama aunt from Kenya living in US illegally 

Nov 1 12:08 AM US/Eastern
By EILEEN SULLIVAN and ELLIOT SPAGAT
Associated Press Writers 77 Comments         

Related Stories

BREITBART: The Inconvenient Obama

WASHINGTON (AP) - Barack Obama's aunt, a Kenyan woman who has been quietly living in public housing in Boston, is in the United States illegally after an immigration judge rejected her request for asylum four years ago, The Associated Press has learned.
Zeituni Onyango, 56, referred to as "Aunti Zeituni" in Obama's memoir, was instructed to leave the United States by a U.S. immigration judge who denied her asylum request, a person familiar with the matter told the AP late Friday. This person spoke on condition of anonymity because no one was authorized to discuss Onyango's case.

Information about the deportation case was disclosed and confirmed by two separate sources, one of them a federal law enforcment official. The information they made available is known to officials in the federal government, but the AP could not establish whether anyone at a political level in the Bush administration or in the McCain campaign had been involved in its release.

Onyango's refusal to leave the country would represent an administrative, non-criminal violation of U.S. immigration law, meaning such cases are handled outside the criminal court system. Estimates vary, but many experts believe there are more than 10 million such immigrants in the United States.

The AP could not reach Onyango immediately for comment. No one answered the telephone number listed in her name late Friday. It was unclear why her request for asylum was rejected in 2004.

Onyango is not a relative whom Obama has discussed in campaign appearances and, unlike Obama's father and grandmother, is not someone who has been part of the public discussion about his personal life.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, Kelly Nantel, said the government does not comment on an individual's citizenship status or immigration case.

Onyango's case—coming to light just days before the presidential election—led to an unusual nationwide directive within Immigrations and Customs Enforcement requiring any deportations prior to Tuesday's election to be approved at least at the level of ICE regional directors, the U.S. law enforcement official told the AP.

The unusual directive suggests that the Bush administration is sensitive to the political implications of Onyango's case coming to light so close to the election.

Kenya is in eastern Africa between Somalia and Tanzania. The country has been fractured in violence in recent years, including a period of two months of bloodshed after December 2007 that killed 1,500 people.

The disclosure about Onyango came just one day after Obama's presidential campaign confirmed to the Times of London that Onyango, who has lived quietly in public housing in South Boston for five years, was Obama's half aunt on his father's side.

It was not immediately clear how Onyango might have qualified for public housing with a standing deportation order.

___

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Cannonball888

Re: AP: Obama aunt from Kenya living in US illegally
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:06:42 AM »
What? The Associated Press dared to break with the media norm and publish the story? Unbelievable. And I'm sure the Messiah had no knowledge of her illegal status  ;/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 08:15:24 AM »
I don't know -- this looks like the perfect opportunity for Obama to say, "we need to create more liberal immigration laws" and clinch the illegal alien vote.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 08:42:12 AM »
What makes the man?  You are beginning to find out?  What's his character?  Who is Barack Obama?  We're slowly finding out... but it has taken until election day to do it? What more is there to this this man who wants to be president?
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 11:18:50 AM »
A whole family of parasites? Why, how surprising!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 03:24:06 PM »
Auntie exemplifies the New America that may well put Obama into office and keep him there.

When the law ceases to be respected and enforced you no longer have a viable nation.  Maybe you have what Obama lies to call a "community" to be organized but you don't have a nation or a social compact. 

I think we will see in the coming times that the line between community organizer and warlord is very, very thin.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 03:35:05 PM »
What makes the man?  You are beginning to find out?  What's his character?  Who is Barack Obama?  We're slowly finding out... but it has taken until election day to do it? What more is there to this this man who wants to be president?

He has a very large bus, with thousands of people living beneath it. 

As for this, I especially like his total denial of ever knowing that the Aunt was in the US illegally and his wish that "all laws be followed" - since she has given his campaign $260, surely that makes it an illegal donation? 

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article5042571.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 03:50:34 PM »
Seems I remember an article which said Auntie could not talk about her relationship with O'Bama until after the election.

I therefore conclude O'Bama knows she is in the US, knows she lives in squalor, and believes she has information harmful to his candidacy.  Now if a doofus like me can figure out something is awry how come "journalists" are not all over the woman?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »
since she has given his campaign $260, surely that makes it an illegal donation? 

If she is indeed on welfare, doesn't it mean the US Taxpayers gave Obama an illegal donation, since we're paying her welfare salary?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »
Deport her.  Now.

Check his birth status and citizenship status.  Deeply.  With latex gloves.  I won't go into the tin foil birth certificate, but he's so SHADY and reprehensible that I think he could cover something like that up.

That Pennsylvania case is going to SCOTUS.  Should be interesting how SCOTUS reacts.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

esheato

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 04:45:33 PM »
...clinch the illegal alien vote.

Why are these illegal aliens voting anyway?

BMacklem

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 05:17:39 PM »
Why are they voting?
Because the Democrats need the illegals to vote them into office so they can further trash the constitution and laws so they can have ultimate power and turn us further into a nanny state.
You know that with Obamas' ties to ACORN, and the terrible voter fraud that's being perpetrated in near every state now by them, that he's going to win.

I almost want him to win now so that the dems' see just what kind of trash they're going to put into office, and what they're going to do to us all.
He's all for HOPE and CHANGE!!! and they're going to see exactly what kind of change he's going to make when he takes the office, and he's going to CHANGE allright.... change his position from what he's promising in the campaign, to what he's ACTUALLY going to do. (I know just about every politician does this, but I think Obama is even worse than all the rest in that regard)

The voters are going to get EXACTLY what they deserve if Obama gets into the presidency, and the rest of us are going to get screwed.
I think there will be another civil war if Obama gets control of executive and legislative branches, and does what he REALLY wants to do (but says he's not going to, and his past history has shown what he HAS done).

agricola

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 05:29:39 PM »
Deport her.  Now.

Check his birth status and citizenship status.  Deeply.  With latex gloves.  I won't go into the tin foil birth certificate, but he's so SHADY and reprehensible that I think he could cover something like that up.

That Pennsylvania case is going to SCOTUS.  Should be interesting how SCOTUS reacts.

It is mystifying why the Obama campaign and the DNC fought that on the basis that Berg didnt have the standing to challenge Obama's eligibility, instead of just handing over his birth certificate.  Its not as if they were facing something where an interpretation of anything would be required like in a defamation - surely its just a matter of fact?   

I agree it is as a theory firmly in the tinfoil camp, but its difficult to think of any reason (apart from lawyers gouging their client) why they would fight it on those grounds.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 05:39:56 PM »
What isn't tinfoil are the voting and financing irregularities that are piling up.

It is not farfetched to imagine Obama, who, politically, will be impeachment-proof, nonetheless forced to resign in disgrace, as Nixon was.  Obama will not have a popular mandate to effect draconian changes, and that means he will have to use coercion.  If that is the way he wants to go down in history, so be it.  Deus vult.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 05:09:29 AM »
I agree it is as a theory firmly in the tinfoil camp, but its difficult to think of any reason (apart from lawyers gouging their client) why they would fight it on those grounds.

A few months ago, if someone told you that Obama had an aunt who was an illegal immigrant, who was living in poverty in Boston public housing and made illegal contributions to his campaign, you or I would probably put it in tinfoil country as well.

Just food for thought.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »
Why are they voting? Because the Democrats need the illegals to vote them into office so they can further trash the constitution . . .
Exactly right. A couple of elections ago, "B-1 Bob" Dornan, congressman from California, narrowly lost an election. A post-election survey of those who voted turned up more illegal votes than Dornan's opponent's margin of victory, largely from illegal aliens.

Yet the election results were allowed to stand.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »
A few months ago, if someone told you that Obama had an aunt who was an illegal immigrant, who was living in poverty in Boston public housing and made illegal contributions to his campaign, you or I would probably put it in tinfoil country as well.
And so the federales response to the story of an illegal resident who stiffed a federal judge living on the public dole is to investigate who leaked the story.  Not deport the illegal resident, mind you; investigate a whistleblower.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/10/31/national/w203225D04.DTL
<snip> The Immigration and Customs Enforcement asked its inspector general and the Office of Professional Responsibility on Saturday to investigate whether any policies were violated when information about Onyango's case was publicly disclosed, ICE spokeswoman Kelly Nantel said. The Homeland Security Department, which oversees ICE, cannot disclose details about an individual's immigration status.</snip>

I repeat--just breath-taking.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 08:35:15 PM »
Exactly right. A couple of elections ago, "B-1 Bob" Dornan, congressman from California, narrowly lost an election. A post-election survey of those who voted turned up more illegal votes than Dornan's opponent's margin of victory, largely from illegal aliens.

Yet the election results were allowed to stand.

Yes, 1998, and that may have marked the beginning of the end of the GOP.  Karl The Genius Rove still thinks his Party needs to get "the Hispanic vote," but he doesn't discriminate as to who exactly is doing the voting.  Reality is that the Dems are getting two-thirds of the Hispanic vote  this year.  It will only get worse.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 09:00:37 PM »

Yet the election results were allowed to stand.  :mad:

hmmm
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B02E1D6163DF937A35751C0A96E958260

Californian to Keep Seat Won From Nine-Term Congressman

By DAVID STOUT
Published: February 4, 1998

A bitterly contested Congressional election in California ended in a resounding triumph for Representative Loretta Sanchez tonight, more than a year late, as a House task force found no basis for nullifying her victory over Representative Robert K. Dornan.

Mr. Dornan, a conservative Republican from Orange County, was frustrated in his bid to convince his former House colleagues that there was enough fraud in the 1996 election to overturn Ms. Sanchez's 984-vote upset that ousted him from Congress as he was trying for a 10th term.

The task force's decision means that Ms. Sanchez, 38, a Democrat, can train her attention on the elections this fall, when she will try for a second term. The decision was, by extension, a cherished victory for the country's growing ranks of Hispanic voters.

''It should never have gone this far,'' an elated Ms. Sanchez said tonight from the Washington Press Club Foundation Dinner. ''It was amazing to see the injustice that occurs in this situation. I can't wait to get home, once this is dismissed.''

In a statement issued by her office, she called the task force decision ''a victory for the citizens and voters of Orange County. We have always known that the facts were on our side. This has never been about fraud -- because there was none.''

Her joy notwithstanding, the task force's decision was not that clear-cut. Its chairman, Representative Vernon J. Ehlers, Republican of Michigan, said tonight that ''an extremely thorough examination'' had shown there was considerable fraud, but that task force members ''could not conclusively prove there were enough illegal votes to vacate the seat or overturn the election.''

Other members of the panel were Representatives Bob Ney, Republican of Ohio, and Steny Hoyer, Democrat of Maryland.

Mr. Dornan, in a statement issued by his lawyer, Michael J. Schroeder, chairman of the California Republican Party, said: ''While I am disappointed that the committee will not call for a special election, nonetheless it is clear that the committee findings vindicated what I have stated all along, which is that the citizens of the 46th Congressional District were victimized by systematic, widespread voter fraud,''

Mr. Schroeder said Mr. Dornan had a month until the filing deadline to decide whether to challenge Ms. Sanchez in November.

The task force will give its recommendation to the full Committee on House Oversight on Wednesday. The committee is virtually certain to go along with the task force and ask that the House drop the matter.

Mr. Ehlers said that his panel had found ''substantial voter fraud in the 46th District,'' but that there was no way to know exactly how many votes were illegally cast.

Mr. Dornan had argued unsuccessfully that the election in the 46th was replete with fraud, including voting by noncitizens. The charges infuriated many Hispanic people and helped focus a spotlight on Ms. Sanchez.

A California grand jury investigated the 1996 contest but found insufficient evidence to return indictments.

Ms. Sanchez spent about $400,000 in legal fees, which her chief of staff, Steve Jost, said tonight she would try to recover under the Federal Contested Election Act -- the same act that Mr. Dornan had used to challenge her victory.

Representative Robert Menendez, a Democrat from New Jersey, said tonight that the attempt to nullify the election ''was nothing but a witch hunt'' and a fruitless bid to head off the power of Hispanic voters.

Asked tonight if Ms. Sanchez was planning to run for re-election, Mr. Jost laughed. ''She hasn't formally announced,'' he said, ''but she's raised about $900,000.''

and then she beat him again
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 09:46:42 AM »
''a victory for the citizens and voters of Orange County."

I notice she made a distinction....
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought