Author Topic: Spring Forward ...  (Read 1028 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Spring Forward ...
« on: March 09, 2024, 10:49:57 PM »
... yes, that's tonight.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Spring Forward ...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 07:39:26 AM »

But they're getting feed an hour earlier now
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 09:41:26 AM »
I don't mind fall back so much, but spring forward just freaking kills me. I'm out of sorts for a couple of days.

I wish they would just pick a time and stick with it. This twice yearly change bullshit is... bullshit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 10:25:56 AM »
I wish they would just pick a time and stick with it. This twice yearly change bullshit is... bullshit.

^^^^
This.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 10:33:09 AM »

Agreed, and if that ever happens, I'd prefer it to stay as it is now.  With rare exceptions, evening daylight is far more useful to me.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 10:40:51 AM »
The old gal with all the mental issues (the one I am guardian to) has been in absolute freak out mode. Her TV, microwave, phone, and digital clock radio all have to be exactly the same. I’ll be delivering her groceries and laundry later today and I’ll no doubt spend some time diddling with them until she calms down. She has been upset because her calendar doesn’t identify the day of the time change.
Spring up, fall down.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 10:50:17 AM »
I'm probably in the minority here, but I would prefer one time and that it be standard. IT'S STANDARD FOR A REASON PEOPLE!  =D

I would suck it up for daylight time if they just stuck to one time though. My big problem is that geographically, I'm in the worst area of the worst time zone border in the country. I stick WAY into Pacific time, so in Summer, it's still light out till past ten, and I like to be in the rack by 2130. If we went to all year daylight time, it would be pitch black in December until like 0930.

Hence all year standard time where I live would be almost like all year daylight time for people in not stupid time zones. I'd actually be ok with daylight time here if it was Pacific, which is what parts of Northern Idaho that are farther East than me already have. They need to make all of Idaho Pacific time. Modern commerce is such that we have no need to be tied to Salt Lake City time, just like Eastern Oregon is also in this stupid time zone area and they don't need to be tied to Boise, and could join the rest of Oregon in Pacific time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 02:31:09 PM »
It used to bug the *expletive deleted*it out of me when I was working.... of course.

Now, retired for 14 years, it throws me for a day.  Minor annoyance is going around resetting all the  timekeepers twice a year: two in bedroom, one in bathroom, one in living room, one in the kitchen, one on the wristwatch, two on a computer which is not on the 'net, and  which has an old astronomical program whose automatic daylight time switchover is from the old DST switchover dates, independent of the machine clock.

I have worse pains in the ass to deal with, so this minor annoyance is pretty petty.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 03:09:02 PM »
Pick one and stick with it. I don't care which one, it's just a number on the clock.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 03:29:58 PM »
Pick one and stick with it. I don't care which one, it's just a number on the clock.

Easy to say, but my recollection from my working days is that mere "number on the clock" discombobulates all kinds of biological schedules --eating, pet walking, sleeping, innard voiding....

... as well as meshing with your godamned bus schedules if you have to work.

And there's also the problem of all the people who are not where they ought to be at "Number on the clock":00 AM because they forgot the changeover.

BTDT.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 03:38:14 PM »

And there's also the problem of all the people who are or are not where they ought to be at "Number on the clock":00 AM because they forgot the changeover.

That's exactly my point, quit changing it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 04:26:58 PM »
The only thing more annoying than DST - the semi-annual DST Complaint Session!  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2024, 05:07:06 PM »
The one good thing about time changes these days is that a lot of people now depend on devices that reset themselves.

Phones, computers, TV sets/ boxes, etc. All reset to the time change automatically.

I have two analog clocks in my house, neither of which I touch.

The only two devices that I have to reset manually are the microwave and the clock on the stove.

I also need to reset the clock in my Forester, if I get around to it.

But my cell phone resets automatically, and since I use that as my alarm clock, no problems.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2024, 05:39:21 PM »
Why not split the difference and adjust the time :30, stick with that, and be done with it?

Manual clock sets in my life: My analog Timex wristwatch, the clock in the car, and the wife's alarm clock in her room.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 05:58:52 PM »
I'm probably in the minority here, but I would prefer one time and that it be standard. IT'S STANDARD FOR A REASON PEOPLE!  =D

I would suck it up for daylight time if they just stuck to one time though. My big problem is that geographically, I'm in the worst area of the worst time zone border in the country. I stick WAY into Pacific time, so in Summer, it's still light out till past ten, and I like to be in the rack by 2130. If we went to all year daylight time, it would be pitch black in December until like 0930.

Hence all year standard time where I live would be almost like all year daylight time for people in not stupid time zones. I'd actually be ok with daylight time here if it was Pacific, which is what parts of Northern Idaho that are farther East than me already have. They need to make all of Idaho Pacific time. Modern commerce is such that we have no need to be tied to Salt Lake City time, just like Eastern Oregon is also in this stupid time zone area and they don't need to be tied to Boise, and could join the rest of Oregon in Pacific time.

I'm with you Ben.  To get something close to 8hrs sleep I have to be in the rack by 8:00.  Around here, on DST, it's still light outside until 9:30.  For some reason, DW doesn't want me to put aluminum foil on the windows....

I don't adjust the clock in the truck.  It's on DST and stays there.  Turing the tuning knobs cause the numbers to randomly jump all over, it's just not worth the hassle to change it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2024, 06:05:59 PM »
I also have to say that I would be less aggravated by the switch if we were doing six months on, six months off, like in the good old days. My team is getting ripped off with the extra long DST.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2024, 06:07:00 PM »
Why not split the difference and adjust the time :30, stick with that, and be done with it?

Manual clock sets in my life: My analog Timex wristwatch, the clock in the car, and the wife's alarm clock in her room.

India used the be 2 time zones.  They split the difference and made the whole country 1 zone.  They also don't observe DST.
Formerly sumpnz

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2024, 07:30:11 PM »
My patience came through, my car clock is now correct once more.  Only time I cared is doing atlantic crossings. Work nights on the way to Europe, days on the way back. Presto, deployment was now 12 hours shorter.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2024, 08:42:14 PM »

I agree. The world adopted standardized time zones for what were deemed valid reasons -- and then various people and various government entities started screwing around with standard time zones to make them anything except "standard."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2024, 08:44:43 PM »
India used the be 2 time zones.  They split the difference and made the whole country 1 zone.  They also don't observe DST.

You want temporal schizophrenia? Try Arizona.

The state of Arizona does not observe daylight time. The Navajo reservation, which is largely in Arizona, does observe Daylight time. The Hopi reservation, which is entirely within the Navajo reservation, does not observe daylight time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2024, 07:19:38 AM »
I learned a few years ago that there are some places that have 30-minute offsets within a time zone, including Afghanistan, Newfoundland, and parts of Australia. Oh, and India.

W. The. Literal. F.

I reset the clock in the Forester this morning. That one is easy. You go into the information center and instead of changing the actual time numbers, you select whether you want Daylight Savings Time on or off.

I reset the clock on my stove yesterday afternoon.

So of course the power went out last night for a bit because of the wind we were having, and now the stove clock is blinking merrily away.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2024, 07:26:24 AM »
Since I go to bed fairly early, because I get up fairly early, I invested in blackout curtains for my bedroom a couple of years ago. They're not 100% effective, but man do they really reduce the light in my bedroom in the summer.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2024, 07:46:25 AM »
It's all TikTok's fault.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2024, 08:59:55 AM »
The thing I wonder about is who really wants DST?  I don't think I have come across anyone who likes it.  I have heard what seems like dozens of reasons for why it was instituted and most of them appear to just be BS.  Everyone thinks someone else wants it. 

From what I have heard, there have been efforts to get rid of it at least at the state level, yet for some reason, there is always pressure on politicians to NOT change it. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2024, 09:07:15 AM »
Effects POCs the most
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes