Author Topic: Oh Pilots... new twist?  (Read 12398 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Oh Pilots... new twist?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 02:58:03 PM »
As have I.  I've also seen a plane climb vertically, stop, and then climb vertically again.  Those are rare. 

Look at the video again.  Watch when the plane lands.  Real airplanes don't bounce like that.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

unisonic12

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »
I agree with Brad that it probably is a RC and that a RC does have the power to weight ratio needed to fly like that.  There is no way that is a real aircraft.

If you've seen it, then explain your post above.  You make it sounds as if it can't be a real aircraft because only R/C airplanes have those power to weight ratios.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 03:16:15 PM »
I fly RC planes and have seen a good deal of very talented flyers. Everything I saw was consistent with an RC airplane (including cinematography), except the pilot getting out. What sets it off for me is not so much the bounce, but the immediate deceleration upon landing. Very consistent with RC airplane landings, and not real airplane landings. Real airplanes have real momentum, and have to coast and brake much longer.

The actual flight and landing doesn't strike me as impossible for an RC plane. I have seen people (talented people, not me) fly pizza boxes before. I have also personally witnessed people land with a missing wing (and half a stab) from combat flying.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 03:17:03 PM »
The guy that sent me the link to the pilot interview, if that's what it is, is a 57 YO retired Naval Flight Officer with oodles of flight experience including carrier landings and takeoffs. He says those race planes certainly do have enough power to weight ratio to hang on the prop like that. He thinks it's authentic but that's just another opinion. Ah controversy, ain't it grand?  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

unisonic12

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 03:18:44 PM »
Take his opinion with a grain of salt.  He was an NFO and not a pilot...unless he has civilian ratings, too.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 03:26:35 PM »
If you've seen it, then explain your post above.  You make it sounds as if it can't be a real aircraft because only R/C airplanes have those power to weight ratios.

Better be careful, bud.  Ascerbic challenges like that after only 8 posts as a member have been know to get people's butts handed to them.

Check the attitude at the door.  We discuss things here, not argue them.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

unisonic12

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 03:28:16 PM »
It's a perfectly valid request.  Butt handed to me on an internet forum?  Please...  Oh wow, a ban...and a simple re-register.  :cool:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 03:30:49 PM »
They can barely hang on a prop, and definitely not hover or maneuver while offsetting the loss of a wing. 

That video's as fake as an Obama pro-gun endorsement. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »
The textures don't look completely real and if you watch the wheels after the bounce there
is no dirt, dust, grass or anything else coming up.
You can bounce a real plane pretty good but i don't see it scrubbing off speed that fast.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

280plus

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 03:32:06 PM »
I take everybody's opinions with a grain of salt.  =D

He's pretty knowledgable though and still works in the R&D side of military avioncs. He refers to leading groups of Admirals around on show and tells as "herding cats".  :laugh:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 03:33:39 PM »
That video's as fake as an Obama pro-gun endorsement.
That's pretty darn fake alright!  :laugh:

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 03:37:33 PM »
It's a perfectly valid request.  Butt handed to me on an internet forum?  Please...  Oh wow, a ban...and a simple re-register.  :cool:

Careful, kid.  This forum is a bit more "grow'd up" than what you'd probably used to. No one mentioned anything about a ban, although this apparently is a regular enough occurance for you that it was your first thought.

Again, put some brakes on the attitude.  I say that out of concern for your delicate sensibilities because we have members that relish in thoroughly, completely, and utterly humiliating newbies who refuse to play by the rules.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 03:38:43 PM »
Watch when he opens the canopy, tell me that's not the guy in the later interview complete with black long sleeve and "Killathrilla" written on it. Looks just like him. Just saying is all...  =D

unisonic12

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 03:41:01 PM »
I say that out of concern for your delicate sensibilities because we have members that relish in thoroughly, completely, and utterly humiliating newbies who refuse to play by the rules.

Brad

[Bruce Lee hand wave]  Bring it on, then... [/Bruce Lee hand wave]

"Delicate sensibilities".  Puh-leeze.  :rolleyes:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 03:42:30 PM »
Well, the first thing you can do is take it out of my thread. Go start your own to crap all over. Thanks!  =D

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 03:45:20 PM »
Don't say I didn't warn you.

Brad
-HankB

unisonic12

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 03:46:58 PM »
OK

unisonic12

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 03:49:48 PM »
Well, the first thing you can do is take it out of my thread. Go start your own to crap all over. Thanks!  =D

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you paid money or exchanged other goods to make this "your thread" as a personal possession.  ;/

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 03:50:31 PM »
Made a quick jump over to YouTube and searched "rc plane one wing landing".  50 hits right off the bat.  Several of them bore an astonishing similarity to the OT vid, albeit without the additional video tricker allowing a pilot to suddenly step out.

Apparently it happens with some regularity.

Brad
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »
I harbor absolutely no doubt about this being a fake.

1) Wing rips off and no control cables, tubing, framework, supporting structure, fuel (assuming wet wing) or anything else is visible trailing after the break.

Maybe someone like Fly320s or Avenger29 can correct me if I'm wrong, but:

2) All lift generated by one wing on one side.  Instant tumble wing-high over the plane's axis.  Likely impossible to counter with aileron on the remaining wing, assuming it even functions after the damage to the control system.

3)  The important parts of the video look like every poor quality CGI I have ever seen.  It just does not have the look of first pass video taken by a consumer grade or any other camera.

I suspect it is a mish-mash of airshow video composited with RC plane video using consumer CGI on a home PC.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2008, 03:56:58 PM »

The video is implying that a real, full-size, air-racing airplane, with a real, full-size pilot, lost a wing during maneuvers and then that same pilot was able to maintain control and safely land the airplane.  I am not contesting that event is possible. It was done with an F15 years ago.

I am contesting the fact that the video is one, continuous video without editing.  Un-Photoshopped in other words.  The video of the plane losing a wing and landing does not jive with a video of a real aircraft in the same situation.  The motions look faked.  The landing looks faked and/or of a model aircraft.

Points to consider:

- When the wing comes off, the plane begins to roll into the remaining wing.

- There are no exposed parts, cables, wires, or streaming fluids after the wing detaches.

- The aircraft shown in the landing is much too light (bounces too easily) to be a real aircraft.

- After the landing, when the plane is still rolling, the aircraft is in focus, but the ground immediatly beneath the plane is out of focus.  Something has been edited there.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2008, 04:03:56 PM »
And a search on "James Andersson pilot" I did myself reveals nothing. I agree with the guy who said if it was for real it'd be all over the MSM and not generating hits on youtube. Nice fake job though, I guess we can all agree on that.

Yes, I paid for this thread, the check is in the mail.  :laugh:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2008, 05:33:04 PM »
[Bruce Lee hand wave]  Bring it on, then... [/Bruce Lee hand wave]

"Delicate sensibilities".  Puh-leeze. 

Well, since he was nice enough to ask, it would have been impolite for the staff here not to oblige.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »
Awww, what a shame, and on Halloween no less.  :laugh: