Author Topic: New Ruger LCR. Wow.  (Read 12421 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: New Ruger LCR. Wow.
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 02:01:47 AM »
Surprisingly Gunblast gave it a good review. That must mean its pretty good, cuz those guys are pretty objective and critical.

Sorry just kind of annoyed by Gunblast's "Every Gun Sent To Us Is Great" mentality.

They get a lot of stuff sent to them, they only use their time write about what they like. That's a bit different from being fanboys of everything they get ahold of.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 08:01:25 AM »
This ain't Bill Ruger's Mini-14...

Saw that too.  Hope that isn't a Tapco stock....
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MikePGS

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 09:41:33 AM »
Also I forgot to add that while I'm glad to see the gun companies making innovations in the last few years, I think Ruger would have been better of making an SP101 in .45 a.c.p., or some other concealed carry revolver in .45.
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax
us more and ban more of our guns."
John Ross, Unintended Consequences

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 10:09:35 AM »
The Russkies had a breaktop polymer revolver, IIRC. Don't think they ever made a significant number of 'em.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg49-e.htm
The MP 412 Rex. Thanks to Clinton it's not importable. A shame since I'd really like a break top .357

The MP-412 revolver has been designed at IZHMECH (State-owned Russian Izhevsk Mechanical Plant, a large factory known as a prime maker of Makarov PM pistols among other things). This revolver was intended for export, as a handgun ownership is generally prohibited for ordinary citizens in Russia. First prototypes of REX (Revolver for EXport) revolver were displayed at IWA-2000 arms exhibition in Nurenberg (Germany). It is not exactly known what killed this rather interesting project, but most possibly it was a lack of market, as the biggest export market, the USA, has been closed for Russian handguns since mid-1990s, because of Clinton / Yeltsyn mutual agreement.

The MP-412 is a double action revolver with break-open frame and simultaneous extraction. The bottom frame is of composite type - it consists of a steel basic frame and a polymer envelope, which forms the grip and trigger guard. Polymer grip / trigger guard unit can be removed from steel frame if necessary. Trigger is of conventional type, double / single action, with exposed hammer. Firing pin is mounted in the frame. Barrel / cylinder group latch is located at the top rear of the frame, and is operated by two buttons that must be pushed inwards to unlock the frame. Cylinder holds 6 rounds and has an automatic ejector that throws the cases out of cylinder once barrel is fully tipped down. If necessary, automatic ejection feature can be manually switched off.
Look, tiny text!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 10:09:36 AM »
A 5 shot GP100 in 44special would have me reaching for my debit card so quickly it would end up with scorch marks, as would a 22lr SP101 or GP100 (especially if the latter was 7+ shots).

Chris

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 10:51:38 AM »
First they rip off Kel-Tec, and now Ruger clones a J frame and think it's revolutionary.

Forgive me if I'm not impressed.

Unless J frames have a polymer frame, it's not a clone but something quite different.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 11:09:49 AM »
I'm sorry, but that thing has a SERIOUS case of the uglies.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 11:14:10 AM »
I'm sorry, but that thing has a SERIOUS case of the uglies.

This^^

I'd say that's more than an ounce and a half of ugly, right there. I wonder how it shoots tho? If the plastic frame can absorb some of the recoil, one could theoretically use really hot +P+ kinda ammo and still have decent elapsed time between shots.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 11:16:03 AM »
I'd be interested in that, too. I could see that the grip frame might flex somewhat, and thus redistribute the recoil impulse...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 11:19:55 AM »
It is ugly, but when I first saw the x42 series revolvers I considered them ugly as well.  Now I appreciate the beauty of their design.  Frankly, I find this LCR more attractive than the S&W humpback snubs with the hammer tab.  Not crazy about plastic on a revolver (too much of a traditionalist), but function trumps fashion in a CCW piece.

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 11:34:04 AM »
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg49-e.htm
The MP 412 Rex. Thanks to Clinton it's not importable. A shame since I'd really like a break top .357

[sarcasm]Oh, yeah, a break open design is too weak for modern cartridges.[/sarcasm]

Look at the link.  Just look at it:
Med frame, 4" bbl, 6 rounds of .357mag at .9KG or ~16 ounces.

Just imagine if they made it a snubby 5-round small frame version.  My effing dream snubby, that's what.  Make it in 9mm/.38super/9x23 using moon clips, and I'd be whistling "Dixie" outta my fourth point of contact as I ran to my gun shop, cash in hand.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 12:17:43 PM »
I love the old S&W .44 snubbie. 296 I think? Ugly, but I've been lusting after one for a long time.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 08:09:52 PM »
Now they need to just come out with a semi-auto pistol that is more concealable than their current offerings.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 08:19:29 PM »
Now they need to just come out with a semi-auto pistol that is more concealable than their current offerings.
Ruger just ripped off Keltec's tiny .380.  How much more concealable do you want?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 08:21:57 PM »
Ruger just ripped off Keltec's tiny .380.  How much more concealable do you want?

I want a .45.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 08:39:13 PM »
I want a .45.

I want a single-stack 9 mm DAO with a stainless or titanium slide, please.  I already have a Taurus PT-111.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 10:39:36 PM »
I'm not sure what to think. If it works, I may get one after a year or two after the bugs are worked out.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 11:34:22 PM »
I thought the big idea behind this was you could swap out different aluminum frames for different calibers on the same polymer grip frame with the same trigger pull.

Is that actually in the works or was it just rampant speculation I stumbled upon?

Personally I kinda like that idea.  We've got .22LR kits for our semi-autos, why not apply the same concept to the revolvers?

Marvin Dao

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 12:43:51 AM »
Saw that too.  Hope that isn't a Tapco stock....

It's an ATI stock. Not quite as bad as Tapco, but not something I'd want on a serious rifle either.

Would have been better if they went with the Sage stock, but a $1200 Mini-14 wouldn't sell too well...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 06:40:16 AM »
I'm intrigued with the LCR. Watching Michael Bane shoot it on www.downrange.tv , I noticed that it recoiled differently than the usual lightweight J-frame. Looking at the shape of the polymer gripframe, I think it might "roll" in the hand similar to a SA revolver does (and I like SA revolvers). Also, with most of the metal parts (and weight) forward of the trigger, I'd think that would mitigate recoil somewhat. I'm looking forward to trying it....and I'm waiting on my next snub-gun purchase so I can consider this one (that, and the Taurus 856 6-shot J-frame).

As for looks....Ruger isn't exactly known for pretty guns...but they DO make guns that work. If it ends up as a CCW piece, no one's going to see it anyway....

Sorry just kind of annoyed by Gunblast's "Every Gun Sent To Us Is Great" mentality.

Remember the old saying, "Only accurate guns are interesting"? Gunblast operates like that. If it's not a good gun, they don't waste time writing about it. And I haven't seen them write about a lemon yet....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2009, 08:26:31 AM »
It seems if you already own a nice lightweight J-frame (like my little S&W 638) then this isn't that interesting.

On the other hand, if it's as small and light as an S&W (an area where Ruger has lacked) and priced lower then it may be quite a deal for those who don't already have a small revolver.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2009, 07:28:08 PM »
Is it just me or are they ignoring the fact they just invented the .327 Magnum round, which this little gun could fit 6 of?

Regardless of the minimal weight savings, the market needs yet another .38+P lightweight like it needs a hole in the head.

What it needs is another hole in the cylinder.

I realize its a new caliber but if you're going to market a spacey new revolver, why not be the only production 6-shot J-Frame Lightweight .32 Magnum on the market?

Idiots, at least market two options.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2009, 07:44:22 PM »
Colt had the D-Frame/Detective Special for how many years? They figured out how to stuff 6 each .38 Special rounds in that cylinder, while still keeping it in a compact package.  You'd think technology would allow something similar in this day and age...

(Then again, I'm a Pinned & Recessed Blued Steel S&W kind of guy, too.)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2009, 08:05:58 PM »
This ain't Bill Ruger's Mini-14...

Interesting.

I wonder if it could hit the broad side of a barn from inside?

(One of the reasons I ditched both my Mini-14 and Mini-30 rifles long ago)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2009, 08:30:06 PM »
I wonder if it could hit the broad side of a barn from inside?

Depends on how good your throwing arm is :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin