Author Topic: Strange network connectivity issue  (Read 12384 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Strange network connectivity issue
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:17:45 PM »
Having a strange connectivity issue. I am connected to the 'net via an office LAN. I do not log onto the netork, though I could if I so chose.

The first time I hope onto email (Outlook Express) or onto the web (Internet Exploder) everything is just hunky dory. Unfortunately, that's it. After the first hit everything goes to crap.

When it dies I have the following symptoms:

1. Outlook express will say it's working but will eventually time out.

2. Internet Exploder says "Web Sit Found" but never get's past that, eventually timing out.

However...

3. I can send print jobs to the big office printer, a Xerox WorkCentre which is connected via an IP address, and it works like a champ (!!??)

If I reboot the machine or physically disconnect the network cable for a few seconds, everthing works great the first time, then it all goes to pot and I lose the connection again.

Nothing has changed, either on my machine or the network.. It just started doing this all of a sudden. One day it worked like it always has, the next day it all went to crap.

Thoughts?

Brad
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:38:02 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Strange network connectivity issue
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 05:32:56 PM »
Proxy server set in IE internet properties?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 05:34:56 PM »
That would only affect Internet Exploder. Outlook Express is also involved.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 06:24:33 PM »
I believe OE uses your proxy settings as well.  It's been years since I used it, so I'm not sure.

When you lose connectivity, ping the IP address of a known internet host.  If it's a proxy issue, you'll still be able to ping something.

This is one of Google's servers: 64.233.169.105  It responds to pings.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 06:58:32 PM »
Pingy no ringy-dingy. Timed out with 100% packet loss.

Here's another symptom ... after sitting idle for about an hour, connectivity was restored like I'd reset the network connection. It went down after about a minute just like before.

I'm beginning to wonder if the ten-year-old on-board NIC chipset has finally bit the big one, having apoplectic fits dealing with some new upgrade or change in protocol that was loaded automatically during an update.

Brad
-HankB

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Some trojans will set up a proxy in internet settings.  My nearly-ex-wife kept getting this trojan, so it's worth a look.

Other things to check:

run an ipconfig /all

check your DNS servers as reported, and make sure they are what they are supposed to be with your internet provider.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 07:09:29 PM »
Ran the ipconfig /all command. It scrolls by in the blink of any eye. The Flash couldn't read it, much less me. Any way to slow it down? I tried the old DOS /p to see if it would pause. No joy.

...but I can still print to the big office printer which my machine sees as an IP address. Wierd.

I give up. I'm going home for today. Maybe it will magically resolve itself before I get here in the morning.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 07:25:13 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 07:41:50 PM »
I tried pinging one last time before I left. It worked this time. As before, connectivity (including ping response) went away after the first web page or two.

Results of the ping...

C\WINDOWS>ping 64.233.169.105

Pinging 64.233.169.105 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.169.105: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=242
Reply from 64.233.169.105: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=242
Reply from 64.233.169.105: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=242
Reply from 64.233.169.105: bytes=32 time=69ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 64.233.169.105:
   Packes: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
   Minimum = 54ms, Maximum =  69ms, Average =  58ms

The only strange thing I see is the sudden jump in response time on the last ping.

Brad
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 07:45:59 PM »
55 to 69ms isn't a big deal.

Since pinging an IP isn't affected by dns, proxy, etc, I suspect either a lower level problem on your computer, a router problem, or an ISP issue.  Contact the ISP and see what they have to say.  If they're having widespread system problems, they'll let you know and you won't waste any more time troubleshooting.

Chris

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »
55 to 69ms isn't a big deal.

Since pinging an IP isn't affected by dns, proxy, etc, I suspect either a lower level problem on your computer, a router problem, or an ISP issue.  Contact the ISP and see what they have to say.  If they're having widespread system problems, they'll let you know and you won't waste any more time troubleshooting.

Chris
Similar problems with my home network have involved fouled-up routers and/or modems.

KPT

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »
Ran the ipconfig /all command. It scrolls by in the blink of any eye. The Flash couldn't read it, much less me. Any way to slow it down? I tried the old DOS /p to see if it would pause. No joy.

Run cmd first and then type in ipconfig /all in the command prompt. You can scroll up and down in that window.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 09:59:31 PM »
Run cmd first and then type in ipconfig /all in the command prompt. You can scroll up and down in that window.

Thanks!

As for other speculation about providers and such...

No one in the office is having problems except me. That eliminates a network-wide or ISP-based problem.

I ran a cable directly to the server rack (I sit right across from the server room) and plugged into a different switch. That elminiates a switch-based problem.

The ONLY change of any kind during the time period in question was a renewal of my CA Security suite, but that didn't involve a software update. It was a simple auto renewal that changed the product key to reflect the new expiration date. Microsoft no longer sends updates for ME, so no change there. There were also no other software updates during that period. All that (sort of) elminates a software-version-change problem.

More and more I'm beginning to think it's either an on-board NIC issue, or it's an issue with some kind of software conflict. (I'm still running Windoze ME).

I'll dig around and see if I can come up with a PCI-based NIC that I can slot in to test. It'll only take a few minutes and will at least elminimate/confirm that.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:03:14 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

KPT

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 02:25:01 AM »
(I'm still running Windoze ME).

Well there is your problem.

Format it, try to get 2000 or XP on there.

If you can't find a PCI NIC send me a PM and I'll ship you one for whatever shipping is. I'm 100% sure ME is the issue though.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 12:17:26 PM »
I'm 100% sure ME is the issue though.

You and every other software "guru" out there. Trust me, ain't nothing 100% when it comes to computers unless you are unable or unwilling to trace down the real problem instead of throwing a new OS at it.

Just for history's sake because you haven't been privy to my litany of ME related rants ... I'm not ditching ME. The machine runs fine for my needs. It is relatively stable as long as I keep it's inherent shortcomings in mind. That, and I don't have the time or patience to spend the week it would take getting all the apps I currently have migrated and/or updated to a new OS.

Plus, I dislike Vista even more than ME.

PLUS my machine won't take the hardware necessary to properly run Vista.

Get the picture?

Finally, I'm almost convinced it is NOT a software issue. I reloaded the original NIC drivers this morning and now I have no connectivity at all. I think the on-board 3C905C chipset has glitched. I dug up an old Etherlink PCI card and will be installing it shortly.

Brad
-HankB

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 12:31:37 PM »
Brad, you can go to Office Depot or Best Buy (you may have to order  online for Best Buy) and get a PCI NIC. I just purchased a DLink PCI NIC from Office Depot in Sherman, TX for $20. If you can't find a NIC, drop me a PM. I know that I have one or two lying around. (Good ones). Honestly, I would get rid of Windows ME and install XP. It takes some work as far as back ups, but it's worth the hassle. You probably WILL need to install more memory, though. XP runs like crap if less than 512 MB of RAM. I prefer 1 GB, minimum, but many older motherboards won't accept that much.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »
Looks like the hardware has finally begun to show its age.

I pulled up a NIC out of a dead machine in the office. I was able to get it up and running, but not without a fight. Looks like there's a dead or dying circuit in the PCI bus that's goind to be more than a few scrounged up parts can fix. I could make it work but getting it up and running would take almost as much time as getting my apps migrated to a new machine.

AS for upgrading the old machine to run XP, well, the Dimension 8100 is saddled with a requirement for RDRAM. It was a great idea at the time, but has turned into an expensive nightmare when it comes time add memory. Upgrading to a mere two gigs would run almost $200. Given the age of the machine and the likelyhood that other parts will be failing soon, I bit the bullet and ordered one from the Dell Outlet. For roughly 30% more then the memory and OS upgrade would have cost I was able to get a new Studio mini tower, 2.6GHz quad-core, 3 Gb RAM, twin DVD-RW drives, and a Radeon 4350 dual-monitor capable video card. I even popped for a refurb Ultrasharp monitor.

I hated spending the money, but I am really pretty lucky. The machine was ten years old last May. I can rightfully say I got my money's worth!

I run regular backups so data integrity isn't an issue. Aside from the connectivity issue the machine is working fine. Unfortunately connectivity is an absolute requirement for my office machine so it's time to put the old gal out to pasture. I'll do a full backup tomorrow and run off the web-based side of our apps until the new machine arrives. I'll pull the drive from the old machine and install it in the computer I cobbled together at home as a redundant backup.

Now the big question, how many of you folks have played around with Windows 7 enough to recommend upgrading to it over Vista (the bundled OS with the machine)? I'm sorely tempted but would like to have some first-hand accounts before taking the plunge.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:24:15 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 11:18:07 PM »
With all the info you have giving i would replace the NIC. It should fix it or lead to a board problem.

I have seen some of the same issues with modems and routers. But you have already ruled them out.

As far as ME goes. I still run it on my home server. Right now it is a back up to my temp server running Win 7 32 bit as a test bed.(It works great.) I did have it up and running yesterday looking for a good sound card for my garage system.

Jim

Edit I was typing while you posted. With your question on Win 7 I really like it. If you have the hardware and it will work with all your software go with the 64 bit version.

Edit again: If you are running a lot of ME programs you need to try Vista or Win 7 RC to check compatibility.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:53:34 PM by Jim147 »
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 02:38:16 AM »

...but I can still print to the big office printer which my machine sees as an IP address. Wierd.

I give up. I'm going home for today. Maybe it will magically resolve itself before I get here in the morning.

Brad

Do it using CMD.EXE

(Windows Key + R) - Type CMD - IPCONFIG /ALL

As long as it is in a window you can use the scroll bar and scroll aback up

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 08:51:48 AM »
Based on what I've done with the Beta version of Win7 over the last several months, I'm completely skipping Vista when my XP Pro is no longer viable as an OS. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 10:48:58 AM »
I'm completely skipping Vista when my XP Pro is no longer viable as an OS. 

I have the same plan as well. 

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 10:53:46 AM »
The biggest deal is a few apps that are not Vista friendly, the major hiccup being my client tracking software. The company has gone to a completely web-based setup and no longer supports locally installed versions. While I have no problem with the web-based product, I have a huge problem with how they handle the upgrade from my version to the new. The fact that I paid almost a grand for the version I have is irrelevant to them, they charge the same as if I was a new client. PLUS they charge for the data conversion.

That's most of the reason I'm so reticent to change. Getting my database converted to something else will require many hours of manual entry and double-checks, using up time and patience I don't have. But now I have no choice. I think I'll do what a couple of folks in the office have done, convert to Microsoft Outlook. It seems to have little problem with the way the old tracking software exports the data, needing only a field or two manually tweaked for total conversion.

The only other app that I really hate to lose is Nero. I do a lot of DVD slideshows and music compilations with it. I'll have to check if the company offers a Vista/7 friendly upgrade at a modest price.

My old machine trucked along fine, but only because I knew how to dance around its fickle nature. Now that my hand has been forced and things put in motion, I really am looking forward to the new computer. It will be nice to work on a machine unladen by a host of idiosynchracies, hamstrung by an obsolete OS, and burdened with continuous hardware/software compatibility issues.

But I'm still dreading the conversion. (hey, I have to gripe about something... =D )

Also, I backup my e-mail by simply copying the .dbx files from the Outlook Express folder to my backup drive. Can I restore all my email to the new machine by simply copying those files to the Vista/7 version without a problem?

Brad
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:26:48 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 02:03:45 PM »
get a mac
 :laugh:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »
Oh har-dee-har-har. I'm getting a new machine because I want to get RID of connectivity and compatibility problems, not create more.  :laugh:

EDIT TO ADD: Up and running temporarily with a borrowed external NIC running via USB. I had to make it play nice with my AV/Malware program, but at least I'm functional until the new machine arrives.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:24:30 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 08:32:08 PM »
What would be better:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM for $100

Window 7 PRO 64-bit OEM for $135

Pros and cons? Are there any "gotcha" 32/64-bit software compatibility issues? What say yee, oh great and wonderful geniuses of the interwebz?

Brad
-HankB

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 09:04:31 PM »
Get the pro version, unless you like having semi-neutered software.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour