Author Topic: .Mil People: Why Gloves?  (Read 12445 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: .Mil People: Why Gloves?
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 06:46:46 AM »
And yet in Deck department gloves were a big no-no. If one of em got caught on that 5 inch kevlar mooring line you were busy handling you were going through that 8 inch wide steel chock. Everything that might get caught was removed prior to handling lines, gloves, rings, bracelets/watches and anything dangling from your belt.
Yes, Gloves can be a detriment, mrs 280 and I were doing the woodchipper thing and I repeatedly told her not to wear gloves. Did she listen?  ;/

Well, finally, a branch managed to snag the back edge of one of the gloves and start to drag her in there, just for a second but just enough to freak me out. I banned her from the chipper after that. She was all mad about it but I figured it was better than watching her squirt out the other end of the chipper. Besides, in this state nobody'd ever believe me when I told them it was an accident, "Yea, sure it was buddy, you better come with us."  :lol:

THEN, one day she takes my short handled 3 lb sledge to pound in some stakes for the volleyball net, and smashes her index finger to where the tip looked like a cherry tomato. Yup, I banned her from hammers too.  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 07:54:36 AM »
. . . woodchipper . . .  in this state nobody'd ever believe me when I told them it was an accident . . .

North Dakota?

There were no injuries in the following story:
A friend of mine back when I worked in the woodshop got the fingertip of his glove caught in the bit on a drill press.  I had my back to him and heard this "Whoomp! flap flap flap flap flap flap flap. . . ." turn around and he is standing there with no glove on his right hand, which he now has clutched to his chest, and he's white as a ghost!  Glove was wrapped tight around the still-spinning bit and chuck, and the wrist was flapping against something.  Table vise maybe.

The interesting part of this story is he had syndactyly (webbed fingers) between his middle finger and ring finger, up to the first knuckle.  As a result, he had to cut the crotch between those fingers out of all his gloves.  I don't know if that's what saved his hand or not. . .

These were the gloves.  you can tell by looking at them that he was VERRRRRY lucky!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 08:27:12 AM »
Rags will do that too. never use a rag to wipe a piece of rotating work. Stop the work, then wipe.

Maybe that's not the best way to word that.  But it makes sense. :lol:

Rigid 300 "portable" pipe threading machine. Low speed, monstrous torque. It used to come with a forward/reverse switch. A while back they added a foot pedal. Why? Because if you get caught up in the machine the hope is it will pull your foot off the pedal as it sucks you in. How does it suck you in? By grabbing your glove or rag with a burr on the pipe end.  ;)

Chances are, if you DO get sucked in, it may stop in time not to kill you but I do believe it will mess you up pretty good before it stops. It takes a second or two to wind down.

Oh, CT. "Divorce CT style" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helle_Crafts
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:34:23 AM by 280plus »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 08:55:50 AM »
The Nagant is a useless implement of modern battle.  The amount of hot casings a modern infantry squad can produce will boggle your mind.

How many misses does it take to stop an enemy soldier?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 10:05:24 AM »
How many misses does it take to stop an enemy soldier?

In actual battle, supressive fire is an actual and useful tool.  Do you know why the modern infantry platoon is so effective? 
You set up a base of fire.  They use supressive fire to pin down the enemy, or at least distract them.  Your maneuver element flanks the enemy.  Even a modern infantry squad can do this, and do serious damage to a much larger enemy.  Even us Airwing folks practiced this during field exercises. 
Not easy to do with a bolt action rifle that feeds 5 rounds into the magazine at a time via stripper clip.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 10:35:37 AM »
Yes, Gloves can be a detriment, mrs 280 and I were doing the woodchipper thing and I repeatedly told her not to wear gloves. Did she listen?  ;/

Well, finally, a branch managed to snag the back edge of one of the gloves and start to drag her in there, just for a second but just enough to freak me out. I banned her from the chipper after that. She was all mad about it but I figured it was better than watching her squirt out the other end of the chipper. Besides, in this state nobody'd ever believe me when I told them it was an accident, "Yea, sure it was buddy, you better come with us."  :lol:

THEN, one day she takes my short handled 3 lb sledge to pound in some stakes for the volleyball net, and smashes her index finger to where the tip looked like a cherry tomato. Yup, I banned her from hammers too.  =D

A true ban hammer!

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 10:28:31 PM »
The Nagant is a useless implement of modern battle.  The amount of hot casings a modern infantry squad can produce will boggle your mind. 
Like KGB and seeker have stated, gloves come in real handy real fast.  Non combat vet, but being stationed in the desert you learn it real fast.  We wore them for field exercises, at the rifle range, etc.  During the summer I carried mine around all the time in case I might need them.

Ohhh, Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSCL_-mnN4k

(just kidding)

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 11:19:03 PM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 11:29:32 PM »
for ranch work gloves are like totally necessary, I would imagine combat would like totally be sucky without them.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2010, 01:27:51 AM »
for ranch work gloves are like totally necessary, I would imagine combat would like totally be sucky without them.

Uhh...if gloves make having people with guns and bombs trying to kill you not sucky, I really want a pair of those gloves.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »
Uhh...if gloves make having people with guns and bombs trying to kill you not sucky, I really want a pair of those gloves.
=D =D :P
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 11:15:34 PM »
that's the tactical kevlar and titanium gantlets.

there:
power +100
defense +250
cool +1000

and no you can't buy a set. :P

:laugh:

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 11:47:39 PM »

there:
power +100
defense +250
cool +1000

Can I buy a vowel?
Charles Babbage

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »
lol, always used to shorten it to gaunt, now you know why. :laugh:

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 01:39:01 AM »

there:
power +100
defense +250
cool +1000

I needed those on election day when the feral cat here tried to chew my hand off at the wrist. ... ( it still hurts )

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 01:51:17 AM »
Want!

The Federation is recruiting for Designated Marksmen and Snipers in the war against the Arachnids! Earn the benefits of Citizenship!

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 08:34:21 AM »
The Federation is recruiting for Designated Marksmen and Snipers in the war against the Arachnids! Earn the benefits of Citizenship!

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

The best part of STT is "Dizzy" in the tent.  Just sayin..... =D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 08:38:37 AM »
The best part of STT is "Dizzy" in the tent.  Just sayin..... =D

I liked the way she "wore" that shirt. . .
Charles Babbage

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2010, 02:42:42 AM »
Want!

They make other ridiculous (ly), fun stuff too.

http://www.cbrps.com/Products.html

[/derail ]