Author Topic: HELP!!My computer is down.  (Read 12468 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
HELP!!My computer is down.
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:09:37 PM »
I cleaned it and now I BELIEVE it is shutting off on cpu overtemp. A. a couple of the heat sink tabs are broken. Is there a way to fix this, like with wire tieds to make sure it stays tight and B. is there supposed to be some heat sink paste in there between the cpu and heat sink? There seems to be some dried out goo in there now. I'm using the daughter's laptop with the letters worn off and it SUCKS!  :P
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: HELP!!My computer is down.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
I cleaned it and now I BELIEVE it is shutting off on cpu overtemp. A. a couple of the heat sink tabs are broken. Is there a way to fix this, like with wire tieds to make sure it stays tight and B. is there supposed to be some heat sink paste in there between the cpu and heat sink? There seems to be some dried out goo in there now. I'm using the daughter's laptop with the letters worn off and it SUCKS!  :P

I wouldn't try fixing the tabs, because it really does need to be uniformly tight across the top of the cpu. I would go to New Egg or your local computer store, and look for a heat sink (and/or fan) that is made for that type of chip, and the socket the chip fits into, while also physically fitting into the case. Hopefully, the new one will work even better than the old.

Or, this could be a good time to upgrade to a better cpu. That could be tricky, though. The cpu needs to be compatible with the motherboard. You may want the hire-a-geek at the store to find a new one and install it for you.

If you decide to do this yourself, remember that you will need to clean off the old goo, and apply a small daub of fresh thermal paste to the processor when you are ready to reinstall the heat sink.

Want to give us some specs?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:18:32 PM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »
Foil tape, duct strap and a few sheet metal screws should fix anything. ;)

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
I wouldn't try fixing the tabs, because it really does need to be uniformly tight across the top of the cpu. I would go to New Egg or your local computer store, and look for a heat sink (and/or fan) that is made for that type of chip, and the socket the chip fits into, while also physically fitting into the case. Hopefully, the new one will work even better than the old.

Or, this could be a good time to upgrade to a better cpu. That could be tricky, though. The cpu needs to be compatible with the motherboard. You may want the hire-a-geek at the store to find a new one and install it for you.

If you decide to do this yourself, remember that you will need to clean off the old goo, and apply a small daub of fresh thermal paste to the processor when you are ready to reinstall the heat sink.

Want to give us some specs?
The tabs are broken on the part attached to the motherboard not the heat sink. I'm hoping this can be repaired without replacing the motherboard. What kind of specs?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »
Foil tape, duct strap and a few sheet metal screws should fix anything. ;)

jim
If i could afford a new computer right now I'd go with det cord.  ;)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »
Just epoxy the heat sink back on.  Don't mind that ether-smell.  That just fuels the ether-net. [popcorn]

In all seriousness, you REALLY need the heatsink to work properly on anything made since about 2000.  Epoxy is bad.  Even pressure across the CPU surface, with a good conductive paste DELICATELY and LIGHTLY and SPARINGLY applied to the surface of the cpu between it and the heat sink.  I believe Arctic Silver recommends an amount equal to a grain of rice, right in the center of the CPU's surface.  Many people over-do thermal paste.

If your mount on the mobo is broken... you won't be able to replace it.

Time for a new Mobo.  Which means CPU/RAM probably, too.  Then video card compatibility with the type of PCI/AGP/PCI-E slot on the new Mobo.  And hard drive compatibility with the PATA/SATA/SATA-II controller on the mobo.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

sanglant

• friend
always rambling, that's me.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »
it shouldn't have "dried up" stuff is supposed to set up. :facepalm: very carefully, high percentage isopropyl alcohol, and a q-tip, works well for cleaning up processors.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2143158

power supplies tend to fail the same way, as do graphics cards. [tinfoil]

are you getting any beeping on shutdown? after shutting down how long till it'll reboot? is it possible your house is getting over ~130v or under ~90v? that'll eat a computer quick. check the fans to see if any have started sticking, sometimes that will cause a overheat and hang on random.

now then, make and model so i can go find some diagnostic software for you? ;)

oh and depending on how old the MB is, thought mount might be replaceable. is it plastic, or steel? if steel it should be inserted from the back, and pretty easy to replace. the glue/tape tends to be a well, some work. =|

good luck. =D

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 06:11:10 PM »
The tabs are broken on the part attached to the motherboard not the heat sink. I'm hoping this can be repaired without replacing the motherboard. What kind of specs?

Ohhhhhhhhhh, alrighty then.  :facepalm:  A lot of heat sinks come with a plate that goes underneath the mobo, and the sink attaches to that, instead. The downside is, you may need to disconnect everything from the mobo, and take it out of the case.

Sounds to me like you need to take this to a computer store, find someone who seems to have done this sort of thing before, and ask them for their opinion.

OR, you give it a go yourself. In that case, you might take some pictures for us.

OR, you send it back under warranty.

OR, you just upgrade to some new hardware.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 06:16:53 PM »
or talk to me, and get it running again. :angel: :laugh:

and lol, i wasn't the second post in that time. :cool:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 06:36:16 PM »
or talk to me, and get it running again. :angel: :laugh:

and lol, i wasn't the second post in that time. :cool:
Its a clone so no info. I.m just going to take it to bill the computer guy in the morning. I was hoping to avoid all that.  =|

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »
Wow you guys are good! I just went back in with plnty of light this time, looked at the heat sink carefully and discovered it was not seated in there correctly. It is now and so far so good. Tomorrow I will get som Iso alcohol and heat paste and renew the goo...

So THANKS!!   =D

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:15:02 PM »
Sounds like a rather catchy mantra --

RENEW THE GOO!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
TRUE!

I'm not sure I would want to run it until I had some new paste on there. But then I tend to worry about overheating a bit.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 07:37:25 PM »
Understood, I can't believe the thing could run at all it was so choked with dust. I imagine the dried goo is a resuklt of it running under excessive heat conditions fore like ever. I learned me something about computers and dust today. I'll shut 'er down tll I goo it back up.

I know it'll be too quiet around here while I'm gone but I expect you all to keep a stiff upper lip.  ;)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 09:29:09 PM »
you can get filters(foam or plastic/metal mesh) to go over the intake fans to cut down on the dust, but beware the lower airflow. =) or just clean it out every year or so. :laugh:

the filters have the extra benefit of being slightly quieter.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 10:39:42 PM »

Epoxy is bad.

Hey they make thermally conductive epoxy. Just make sure you don't mix it up with the regular thermal paste.
Look, tiny text!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 11:57:53 PM »
Understood, I can't believe the thing could run at all it was so choked with dust. I imagine the dried goo is a resuklt of it running under excessive heat conditions fore like ever. I learned me something about computers and dust today. I'll shut 'er down tll I goo it back up.

That happened to my first computer a couple of years ago, but it was already too far gone. It launched me on a bit of a learning curve about PCs.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 07:38:15 AM »
or just clean it out every year or so.
So you're saying 7 years is too long between cleanings?  :angel:

So while I was talking to Bill on the phone he asks, "How old is it?" and I tell him I bought it from him in 2004. He says, "2004? That thing is 100 years old!" Bill is such a funny guy.  =|

:lol:

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »
So while I was talking to Bill on the phone he asks, "How old is it?" and I tell him I bought it from him in 2004. He says, "2004? That thing is 100 years old!" Bill is such a funny guy.

My desktop is from 2002, it just bit the dust recently.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 08:59:35 AM »
Literally or figuratively?  =D

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 10:13:35 AM »
Literally or figuratively?
Only a computer necromancer would be able to bring it back.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 10:18:42 AM »
 :lol: errr, I mean  =(

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
Only a computer necromancer would be able to bring it back.

Heh, heh...you rang?  >:D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
There we go. Bill the computer guy had a replacement bracket for the heat sink that popped right in no problem and he had teeny weeny tubes of heat paste too. So I replaced the bracket, cleaned and gooed both surfaces lightly and reassembled right quck, now that I know what I'm supposed to be doing. So I think we are all set for another 7 uhhh, I mean 1 year. Bought some air in a can too and blew it all out. Took all of 20 minutes. So once again, THANKS!!  =D

Now to try and hook up al the wires that are just short enough to piss you off.  =|

:laugh:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 05:48:34 PM »
Curious:  How'd you break it just by cleaning?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.