Author Topic: New TV Show: Revolution  (Read 12501 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: New TV Show: Revolution
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »
And it's arguable that all would be banditry and warlords so quickly, coming from a population of folks who'd lived their entire lives in a democratic republic.

To how many of those folks was the democratic republic a means to give themselves stuff taken from others?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 05:56:11 PM »
To how many of those folks was the democratic republic a means to give themselves stuff taken from others?

Well, there is a certain assumption on my part that after the die-off, that good or evil, there'd be much more than a simple 50/50 split between the producer types and eater types than we see in our demographics today.  =D
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
Well, there is a certain assumption on my part that after the die-off, that good or evil, there'd be much more than a simple 50/50 split between the producer types and eater types than we see in our demographics today

Good point.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
Realistically there would likely be a minimum 2/3 reduction in population. The cities would go first then the more populated urban areas. Starvation, disease and fighting would pretty well do most of it. Those that rely on technology and medical science wouldn't last very long at all.

Coal and wood fired steam tech is not that far a stretch if you can find the knowledge to do it, even small B&S type engines can be modified to run on steam. As far as that goes there are a significant number of people still running working steam engines at the hobby level and beyond

Mostly the types that write this kind of stuff have not clue one about what can be done and is still being done with old school tech. They assume they are the enlightened ones and project their own ignorance onto the masses.

ETA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz_Kgkzfaxk
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:08:01 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
It's on again
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 10:53:28 PM »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 11:18:41 PM »
Our current disposable tool culture is lacking in pit saws and people that will run them properly all day long.

I think you underestimate how much old stuff is sitting around on various farms and large lots. We have two good saws suitable for use in a pit saw operation just sitting out in the machine shed, and maybe one or two others that just need new handles. My ancestors had to clear the land here in order to farm it back in the 1800s, and we still have quite a bit of the stuff they used to do it sitting around in one out building or another.

And that's just our one farm, where we don't even personally do the farming any more. The neighbors we rent the land out to and have been farming next to our family for probably over a hundred years now probably have even more stuff, given that their entire clan has three or four different farms in this area and farm several thousand acres between them.

I don't doubt a die-off would happen, but I think there is enough expertise and stuff sitting around to either use directly or use as a pattern for people to bring back steam-era technology fairly easily.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:23:27 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 11:58:28 PM »
I have a usable 2-man crosscutsaws and the tools to sharpen it, a coal fired forge, a very large circular saw complete with shaft and bearing, several pieces of horse drawn equipment that I actually use behind the tractor. I know several people that have working teams, both horses and mules.
Like the man said, a country boy can survive.
I just don't see the typical dystopian scenario where most of the people end up as subservient peasents to a small brutal overlord class.
Too many seriously smart folk capable of seriously nasty guerilla warfare to just roll over and take it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2012, 12:17:15 AM »
The midwest is home to some of the biggest infrastructure machinery and mining companies in the world. From Caterpillar to John Deere, Cummins to Joy Global. These are all based in the Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, & Indiana region. These all engineer and manufacturer their halo products in their home states too. Mining trucks in Decatur, bulldozers in Peoria, wheel loaders in Aurora, mining shovels in Milwaukee, etc, etc, etc.

Then add in the coal available under Illinois. The massive farmland available in this region. The oil refining plants. Excess fresh water supplies. And enormous networks of navigable waterways. [I think folks who grow up out west don't quite realize how much excess water we usually have around here.]

Would an EMP halt the machine shops and foundries in this region, of course. But I would think some of us engineers & metallurgists & machinists & assemblers with massive manufacturing footprints and years of experience in these states would be able to figure out some solutions to post-apocalyptic infrastructure problems. Peoria alone has 3 active foundries in the area of various scale, and a dormant 4th not too far away. Who knows what the rest of the state has. This industrial city is an island of manufacturing in a sea of farmland and grain silos, split in half by a 1/2 mi wide river.

Also realize that we still have full production lines that build mechanical diesel engines. Off the top of my head I know of plants with this active production in the US, UK, India, Japan, and China.

Methanol can be used as a gasoline substitute distilled from wood.
DME is a diesel substitute made from methanol.

Or coal can be gasified to whatever syn fuels, plastics, and rubbers are needed - using 1930's tech.

blah, blah blah...

If you aren't familiar with America's infrastructure and manufacturing industry, then you don't understand that we aren't as helpless as fiction makes it out.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2012, 03:05:35 AM »

Mostly the types that write this kind of stuff have not clue one about what can be done and is still being done with old school tech. They assume they are the enlightened ones and project their own ignorance onto the masses.

Yup, after the EMP apocalypse they will make great pets though, they're entertaining mimics.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2012, 08:09:27 AM »
Wouldn't be worth the cost of feeding them.

Samuel Adams

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2012, 08:19:06 AM »
It was not an EMP.
It seems more like a nanite infestation.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2012, 09:45:24 AM »
Great, the Internet caught a case of crabs.  =(
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2012, 09:46:36 AM »
It was not an EMP.
It seems more like a nanite infestation.

So... the solution to the problem would be an EMP?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »
it might explain the domino wave as they responded to the local neighborhood cascade.

the usb dongle programmed talisman could suppress their communication

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2012, 10:19:51 AM »
it might explain the domino wave as they responded to the local neighborhood cascade.

the usb dongle programmed talisman could suppress their communication

USB requires your ATX power supply to be able to provide 5v through the mobo.

The mobo must be powered first.

To read a "program" on the talisman, the mobo must at a minimum be able to boot its BIOS (and then boot from the USB dongle directly), and possibly the operating system as well.

To intercommunicate with other computers, you need routers/switches/wireless repeaters/satellites/bridges and a host of other devices to provide a communications path.  All of them must be running their various operating systems from cisco/nortel/linksys and other vendors.  And to have the mobo on that first computer function, you must feed it 120v AC into its AT power supply.

Has anyone seen an AT power supply computer with a USB port on it?  Even USB 1.0? 

I've seen PCI riser cards for USB in the past.  But they weren't bootable.  The earliest bootable USB motherboard BIOS environments are fairly advanced ATX systems.

Which tells us that the AT PC itself in this scene at the end of the episode has code that allows it to run, independent of the dongle.  On the local hard drive, possibly.

And no one plugged anything into the monitor.  The monitor takes the same 120v AC power input as the PC.  No dongle for it.  Just power, and a VGA signal.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »
My Raspberry Pi has more horsepower than an old AT system, but will run quite happily off a 5v power supply.  You could fit a RaspPi and enough battery to run it for months in an AT case.  Unfortunately, that doesn't include a screen or network connectivity (assuming some flavor of long-haul wireless which could run off battery as proven by Amateur Radio folks with WiFi or D-Star).  There are screens that run off 12v.  Batteries can be charged via discrete solar panels.

Point is, I think I could recreate the system the show, have it connect to others within 100 miles, and run it off battery power.  What I'm not sure about is having it usable 15 years later or survive whatever killed electronics in the show.

Chirs

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2012, 11:24:10 AM »
theres a reason why theres an apple portable in my basement archive?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »
Sniper rifles are valuable

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2012, 11:00:06 PM »
Has anyone seen an AT power supply computer with a USB port on it?  Even USB 1.0?

I'll look first chance I get but I think I have one or two of the late AT boards that had a USB header built into the motherboard.

My wife has informed me the show is fantasy and I am not allow to argue logic with the TV.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »
I'll look first chance I get but I think I have one or two of the late AT boards that had a USB header built into the motherboard.

My wife has informed me the show is fantasy and I am not allow to argue logic with the TV.

jim

Snort.

I can only take so much "fantasy" before the BS is too thick.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2012, 02:33:58 AM »
Sniper rifles are valuable

I saw that tonight as I had to be in bed by sunset yesterday and DVR'd it

That was C Thomas Howell of WOLVERINES!  fame that got killed!!!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2012, 07:50:15 PM »
I just watched the first 3 episodes with my gf... who is greatly amused by my rants.  I've had to pause the tv a few times for the lengthier ones...

Sooo, at what point are they going to show, rather than just tell, us why Monroe's militia is the bad guys?  That ex-claim's investigator seemed to gives folks every possible chance. I've not seen or heard anything especially heinous or otherwise terrible.  The daughter did make one statement about her father not stopping armed men from taking the village's women, but that wasn't linked to MM and had never come up before; it doesn't really seem to fit their MO at all either.   

I do love the American system, but frankly, tech is down, that is a lot of overhead to support.  Scale it up with the infrastructure; those rebels are just terrorists. 

I've got to go get me one of those M pins...   >:D
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
I've got to go get me one of those M pins...

Be man, go for the brand...

Samuel Adams

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2012, 11:01:43 PM »
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.