Author Topic: Define "Dollar"  (Read 12395 times)

Define "Dollar"
« on: March 06, 2007, 03:46:44 PM »
There are several threads concerning the dollar, fiat currency, gold/silver, trade deficit, national debt, inflation, investments, etc. Let's define "dollar" so we are all talking about the same thing.

I would especially like to hear definitions from fans of the current system.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: Define "Dollar"
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 04:16:26 PM »
Dollar: the basic unit of currency in the U.S.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 04:41:55 PM »
Quite literally, a "dollar" in common useage defines one US dollar bill. 

The question that's interesting involves the value of that said dollar.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 05:08:26 PM »
thaler, anglicized.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 07:37:36 PM »
One who makes dolls.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 04:43:52 AM »
I tend to ignore arguments based on the Constitution about dollars and coining money and all that.  Not that they're necessarily wrong, but it's all irrelevant to today's world.

I use the term as, the dollar is the medium of exchange in the US.  It functions as do the Euro and Yen and all the other currencies.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 04:47:42 AM »
There are several threads concerning the dollar, fiat currency, gold/silver, trade deficit, national debt, inflation, investments, etc. Let's define "dollar" so we are all talking about the same thing.

The Constitution mentions the term "dollar" inseveral places - when it sets the amount to be in dispute to guranatee a jury trial, for one.  Since no "U.S." dollar existed yet, it had to be a piece of currency that was then in common usage in what would become the United States.  The most common "dollar" in use at the time was the Spanish Peso, worth eight Spanish reals, hence the term "piece of eight".  Since the good King of Spain wasn't above debasing his own currency, the United States fixed the "dollar" as being equal to 412.5 grains (26.73 g) of 90% silver.  Of course, we have gotten far, far away from that, with predictable bad results.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 04:50:56 AM »

The Constitution mentions the term "dollar" inseveral places - when it sets the amount to be in dispute to guranatee a jury trial, for one.  Since no "U.S." dollar existed yet, it had to be a piece of currency that was then in common usage in what would become the United States.  The most common "dollar" in use at the time was the Spanish Peso, worth eight Spanish reals, hence the term "piece of eight".  Since the good King of Spain wasn't above debasing his own currency, the United States fixed the "dollar" as being equal to 412.5 grains (26.73 g) of 90% silver.  Of course, we have gotten far, far away from that, with predictable bad results.

Yeah. Strongest economy in the world, 5% unemployment, highest standard of living.  We're in deep deep trouble.  rolleyes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 05:30:33 AM »
Something I have to work hard to get, then only to be disapointed what the fruits of my labor hast given me.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 06:25:09 AM »

The Constitution mentions the term "dollar" inseveral places - when it sets the amount to be in dispute to guranatee a jury trial, for one.  Since no "U.S." dollar existed yet, it had to be a piece of currency that was then in common usage in what would become the United States.  The most common "dollar" in use at the time was the Spanish Peso, worth eight Spanish reals, hence the term "piece of eight".  Since the good King of Spain wasn't above debasing his own currency, the United States fixed the "dollar" as being equal to 412.5 grains (26.73 g) of 90% silver.  Of course, we have gotten far, far away from that, with predictable bad results.

Yeah. Strongest economy in the world, 5% unemployment, highest standard of living.  We're in deep deep trouble.  rolleyes

Yeah, we're doing great...so long as China and japan continue to service our debt.  Meanwhile, it's interesting to note that a genuine silver dime from 1964 and before is now worth...about a dollar.  Meanwhile, the dolar continues its slow fade against the Euro...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 07:16:43 AM »
I forgot, in the Richyoung world, strength equals weakness and wealth equals poverty.
Actually 53% of all U.S. public debt is domestically owned.  Yes, China and Japan account for the largest foreign holdings.  But it is a market and they chose to buy those securities for a reason.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 07:28:08 AM »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 07:50:11 AM »

Unless you happen to live in Michigan...... angry   8-10% unemployment, piece-o-crap demonrat govenor, even our largest bank, Comerica (namesake for the Detroit Tigers newish stadium) is leaving for Texas.

Somebody don't forget to turn off the lights.

Sorry for the thread hijack.....Back to your normal conversations..... grin
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 08:25:07 AM »

Unless you happen to live in Michigan...... angry   8-10% unemployment, piece-o-crap demonrat govenor, even our largest bank, Comerica (namesake for the Detroit Tigers newish stadium) is leaving for Texas.

Somebody don't forget to turn off the lights.

Sorry for the thread hijack.....Back to your normal conversations..... grin

A dose of reality is always welcomed.  cool

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 09:00:50 AM »
Change the leadership and situation in Michigan or just move.

Problem solved.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 09:03:33 AM »
Wrong, carebear.  Just plain wrong.  The only way to fix that is to go back to specie, like they use in Texas.   undecided
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 09:12:58 AM »

The latter's easier than the former, as I discovered in the PRK in 1999.  I did a partial-DITY move, and in that weight allowance was 300 each 30-round AK-47 mags, a request by an FFL near Sacramento because he wouldn't be able to leave the state before SB-23 went into effect.  Between his Kali-banned items and mine, that Wells Cargo trailer sat mighty low...  shocked
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 09:29:14 AM »

Problem solved.

Actually I suspect just bombing Detroit would have a salutary effect on the economy and political situation there.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 12:08:39 PM »
Wrong, carebear.  Just plain wrong.  The only way to fix that is to go back to specie, like they use in Texas.   undecided

As was evidenced by a dispute I got a call on today, some people here in Texas still accept payment in livestock.  I've yet to be offered chickens for legal work, but some of the older folks have assured me it wasn't uncommon back in the day.
For entertainment purposes only.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 02:41:32 PM »

A "Federal Reserve Note", current standard currency of the United States.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 08:03:42 PM »
Doller?

It takes fifty of them for some girls to make you holler, because they get paid to do the wild thing.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »
a dollar - a unit of collective illusion

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 06:18:34 AM »
So far, we have "unit", "bill", "note", "thaler", "medium" and "numeraire" (and some clever jokes).  grin

I got the idea for this thread from this article:

A fairy tale world

By Hugo Salinas Price

"Money must, sine qua non, function not only as a means of exchange, but also as a means of payment.
 The world, as of February 2007, does not possess a means of payment. In economic terms, payment is the exchange of something for something."

......"Money, properly speaking, must be definable! The dollar cannot be defined: so said Alan Greenspan himself, the Pope of Central Bankers, in reference to the dollar, which is the reserve currency of the world and which backs all other currencies. When something is not definable, it has no physical existence. A thing that has no physical existence is imaginary. An imaginary thing such as money is today, is as different from real, actual money, as an imaginary loaf of bread is different from a loaf of bread in ones hand."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 08:15:18 AM »
The only specie acceptable to the IRS for payment of taxes.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 08:21:35 AM »
Dollar - something I don't have enough of.  grin
Andy