Author Topic: New face of vandalism?  (Read 1969 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
New face of vandalism?
« on: October 12, 2007, 10:18:43 AM »
http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/30/40/30_40graffitigirl.html

A 6-year-old Park Slope girl is facing a $300 fine from the city for doing what city kids have been doing for decades: drawing a pretty picture with common sidewalk chalk.

Obviously not all of Natalie Sheas 10th Street neighbors thought her blue chalk splotch was her best work  a neighbor called 311 to report the graffiti, and the Department of Sanitation quickly sent a standard letter to Natalies mom, Jen Pepperman.

Can somebody stop these bureaucrats before they Kafka again?

PLEASE REMOVE THE GRAFFITI FROM YOUR PROPERTY, the Sanitation Department warning letter read. FAILURE TO COMPLY & MAY RESULT IN ENFORCEMENT ACTION AGAINST YOU.

Since when is a kids chalk drawing graffiti? Since the City Council passed local law 111 in 2005, which defined graffiti as any letter, word, name, number, symbol, slogan, message, drawing, picture, writing & that is drawn, painted, chiseled, scratched, or etched on a commercial building or residential building.

In other words, Natalie Shea is not an artistic little girl, but a graffiti scofflaw?

No. The law goes on to say that the scribbles can only be called graffiti if they are not consented to by the owner of the commercial building or residential building. But how could the 311 caller possibly be expected to know if Natalie had her moms consent to use chalk on her own front stoop?

He could have just asked! Pepperman said. This whole thing is ridiculous. Admittedly, this drawing was not her best work  she usually sticks to cheerful scenes, not abstracts, frankly  but to send a warning letter like that is outrageous.

Pepperman ticked off any number of daily insults to common decency on her block, including (but not limited to) dog poop, garbage from ill-kept homes, and noise from car alarms. But Sanitation didnt get a 311 call about those indignities. It got a call about a 6-year-olds drawing.

The report came in as graffiti, and, as you know, the city is trying to crack down on graffiti on private property, said agency spokeswoman Cathy Dawkins.

Its a standard warning letter, added Dawkins. The property owner has 45 days to remove it or ask the city to remove it. Well inspect after that, and if the graffiti is still there, the property owner has another 60 days before well write a summons.

For sidewalk chalk that would dissolve at the first rain? Dawkins said the law is on her agencys side.

The instrument used  whether its paint or chalk  does not matter, she said.

But if Dawkins is right, than the city has just criminalized hopscotch or drawing arrows to point neighbors towards a stoop sale down the block  as long as a neighbor calls 311 to complain.

In reality, chalkers have little reason to start using invisible ink. The citys pre-eminent sidewalk chalk illustrator, Ellis Gallagher, says hes outlining street furniture and other objects for years and never been arrested.

Cops stop me all the time when they see me drawing on the sidewalk, but once they see its just chalk, they always let me go, said Gallagher, a Carroll Gardens resident (see his work at www.myspace.com/ellis_gee).

Gallagher believes that, despite local law 111, drawing in chalk is not illegal. But a call to the NYPD revealed that theres a lot of gray area.

According the New York penal law, graffiti is the etching, painting, covering, drawing or otherwise placing of a mark upon public or private property with intent to damage such property, said an NYPD spokesman.

When pressed to define intent or, for that matter, damage, the spokesman added: If it can be washed away, its not graffiti, clearly, but it still could be criminal mischief. If I cover your car with mustard, thats not graffiti, but its also not legal.

Pepperman is holding firm that her daughter is a pretty artist and not a petty criminal.

And for his part, Natalies father, George Shea, hoped that his daughter wouldnt learn the wrong lesson from her graffiti crime wave.

I do love that kid, Shea said, but I wish she would stop capping my tags.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: New face of vandalism?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »
I'm glad they caught this young miscreant before she moved on to even bigger crimes  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:48:13 AM »
Wow.

Just wow.
One day at a time.

The Viking

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:58:52 AM »
Are they SURE they haven't got anything better to do?

Chris

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:05:18 AM »
Things like this are why I do enjoy my job.  When they bring charges like this in front of me on a minor, I can toss it out and give them hell for wasting my time in the first place.  Teehee, it's fun to watch them leave with their faces all red, trying to to curse me and risk a contempt finding. laugh laugh laugh

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:07:25 AM »
Can you rule that petty control freak bureaucrats be placed in stocks, and spit upon by the good townsfolk?

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:20:39 AM »
This whole thing is ridiculous. Admittedly, this drawing was not her best work  she usually sticks to cheerful scenes, not abstracts, frankly  but to send a warning letter like that is outrageous.
grin
D. R. ZINN

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 11:23:01 AM »
I've read that in New York . . .

* Children flying kites in Central Park have been ticketed for flying them too high.

* Tickets have been issued when a child's balloon pops. (Noise pollution.)

Can you rule that petty control freak bureaucrats be placed in stocks, and spit upon by the good townsfolk?

In this regards, dasmi has the right idea . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 11:24:30 AM »
What the heck does "capping my tags" mean?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 11:24:37 AM »
Freaking ridiculous.  There was a time in this great land when such foolishness resulted in a tarring, feathering, and ride around town in the back of a buckboard.

Around here, sidewalk chalkart is an annual event. It's called I Maddonari

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/82951186GgbMPh

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/151/story/139221.html

The Viking

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 11:26:23 AM »
Don't forget the whole chuck-some-over-ripe-fruits&veggies.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 12:24:59 PM »
Things like this are why I do enjoy my job.  When they bring charges like this in front of me on a minor, I can toss it out and give them hell for wasting my time in the first place.  Teehee, it's fun to watch them leave with their faces all red, trying to to curse me and risk a contempt finding. laugh laugh laugh 

You so ROCK!   grin
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 12:26:41 PM »
I believe "capping one's tags" means covering someone else's graffiti with your own.  If so, the father's comment is hilarious.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 12:35:04 PM »
And, remember, folks, it's costing taxpayer money for these bureaucrats to pursue the child.

If this desk polisher has nothing better to do, then the city doesn't need him.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »
OMFG - Over a kids sidewalk chalk drawing?Huh?

Holy *expletive deleted*it, I'm glad I ain't a kid anymore.  When we were kids, me and my sisters would draw up hopscotch paths on the sidewalk.  Imagine what would happen now!

FFS, it's *CHALK* - After the first good rain, it'll be gone.  Hell, it'll probably wear off after a week or so.

God damn, don't some of these idiots have better things to do?

And yes, "capping tags" refers to covering over someone elses 'work.'

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 02:04:32 PM »
If a group of kids were to chalk out a "Four square" grid, would it be considered "Gang-related graffiti"?   rolleyes
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 08:22:46 AM »
Is covering cars in mustard a big problem in some areas?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 10:34:16 AM »

Not unless it's mine.  Then it could be hazardous to your health.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 10:53:17 AM »

That could get you a NEA grant.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 09:26:26 PM »

No, but the pigeons often Poupon mine.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 07:53:29 AM »
Groan!  grin
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!