Author Topic: High schooler shoots off-duty cop in head with airsoft gun, jailarity ensues  (Read 6509 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Can we say "almost a darwin award"?

TheDenverChannel.com

Assault On Police Sends Teen To Jail
Teen Pleads Guilty To Third-Degree Assault

POSTED: 7:43 pm MDT October 13, 2007

BROOMFIELD, Colo. -- A Broomfield High School champion wrestler, who faced up to two years in prison and a $5,000 fine for an Airsoft assault on an off-duty police officer, has been sentenced to a weekend in jail, one year of probation and 100 hours of community service.

Cory Casady faced charges of reckless endangerment and felony menacing for the April 9 assault on Thornton police Officer Shawn Walsh near Broomfield High School. Casady pleaded guilty to third-degree misdemeanor assault as part of a plea deal reached in September.

Judge Amy Bockman on Friday said the sentence was part of helping Casady learn impulse control.

Police said Casady passed Walsh in a car, brandished the replica gun and fired it twice -- striking Walsh once in the temple. Airsoft guns, many which are made to resemble weapons, fire plastic BBs at high speeds.

"This was clearly just a really stupid decision," Bockman told Casady before handing down the sentence. "I can only imagine what was going through (the officer's) mind when he was struck in the temple by what he believed was a real bullet."

Broomfield District Attorney Jim Colgan said Walsh, who did not speak at the hearing, objected to the plea agreement.

"He wasn't too happy about the plea," he said. "I think he felt like this was felony conduct."

During the hearing, Casady's only comment at the sentencing was to apologize to the people in his car for putting them in danger.

Casady's attorney, Craig Johnson, said Casady realizes Walsh could have killed him if he defended himself with his service weapon.

grislyatoms

• friends
What an idiot. Lord knows I did some stupid crap when I was a kid but I never endangered anyone, threatened anyone, or did anything illegal commited any felonies.

grin
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

The Viking

What an idiot. Lord knows I did some stupid crap when I was a kid but I never endangered anyone, threatened anyone, or did anything illegal commited any felonies.

grin
Same here. No felonies. Just a bit underage drinking/smoking. Had too much fun going to shows!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
It's pretty much a grey area whether I committed any felonies or not...  laugh angel
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
You mean commiting any felonies that you got caught for.  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
This high-schooler is lucky he didn't win a Darwin award.
I never committed any felonies.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Casady's attorney, Craig Johnson, said Casady realizes Walsh could have killed him if he defended himself with his service weapon.
I wonder if that means I could have shot and killed the two a-holes that pulled out their airsofts and started shooting them at each other out in a local parking lot one day. I was reaching for just a split second before I realized they were "toys".  rolleyes
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cordex

• Administrator
"I can only imagine what was going through (the officer's) mind when he was struck in the temple by what he believed was a real bullet."
"Damn, I'm tough."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
We used to shoot each other in the ass or legs with BB guns.  Of course, in eastern NC back then you could walk down the street into the woods with a BB gun and nobody would say squat.  Now, if you did that, the swat team would show up.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
We used to shoot each other in the ass or legs with BB guns.  Of course, in eastern NC back then you could walk down the street into the woods with a BB gun and nobody would say squat.  Now, if you did that, the swat team would show up.

You also probably knew each other and knew what was up.  I suspect that even "back then" (whenever that was) shooting a cop in the head with a BB gun was like asking to be killed.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

Strings

>I suspect that even "back then" (whenever that was) shooting a cop in the head with a BB gun was like asking to be killed.<

No... I think it would have been more asking for an ass whuppin'. The cop would have realized that kids don't generally shoot at cops, and it was a (very ill-conceived) prank. And then takin appropriate action (ie: ass whuppin')...

And yeah: if I was carrying, and saw someone pull an airsoft (especially the high-end Japanese versions), i would probably draw down too. My first thought would NOT be "hey, cool airsoft!"

BakerMikeRomeo

Felonies? Me?

You must be thinking of my twin brother, CharlieNovember... *cough* >_>

~BakerMike

Ned Hamford

• friend
This high-schooler is lucky he didn't win a Darwin award.
I never committed any felonies.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Even if the statute of limitations has run?
 grin
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
I've done some stupid stuff.  However, I always lacked the ambition to do stupid stuff to cops.  Especially stupid stuff that involved anythign resembling guns.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

cassandra and sara's daddy

the appropriate punishment is a serious serious beating

when this dimwit hurts someone or gets killed i hope the judge gets racked up for being stupidly soft

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
I did some stupid stuff, but I ain't tellin' what.  This isn't True Confessions Online.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Phyphor

• friend

It ain't a crime unless you're caught.   grin
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

cassandra and sara's daddy

and there is no statute of limitations on felonys in va

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

I plead the Fifth and the Twenty-first.

On a completely unrelated note, what's the statute of limitations for attempting to steal a Mi-24 former Soviet gunship helicopter from a quasi friendly nation while under the influence?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Strings

That depends bro. There are three issues that need to be addressed:
1)was it done in order to help a beautiful young lady to undress?
2)did it work?
3)are there pics we can see?

Tongue

Antibubba

• friend
This is going on your permanent record!!!

grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

jeepmor

• friend
Hopefully this punk will have some Bubba snuggle up tight with him at night.   police
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul