Author Topic: Universal comes up with another laughable "challenge" to iTunes...  (Read 892 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Or, in other words, demonstrates that they have their head jammed completely up their...legacy business model.

Universal's 'Total Music' Plan To Challenge Apple's iTunes

Universal CEO Doug Morris is reportedly hammering out a way to provide music from Universal, Sony, and possibly Warner, while incorporating the cost into cell phone charges.

By K.C. Jones
InformationWeek
October 15, 2007 04:14 PM

Universal Music may be paving another path around iTunes.

The company is working with other major record labels, mobile device manufacturers, and wireless providers to give deliver music in a new way, according to a report on BusinessWeek.com. The move is the latest in a series of developments by the recording industry to shore up profits and regain control they have lost as consumers transition to downloading music -- both through iTunes and piracy.

If successful, Universal and the other music companies would weaken the dominant distributor, iTunes, and make MP3 players other than the iPhone more appealing.

Universal CEO Doug Morris is reportedly hammering out a way to provide music from Universal, Sony, and possibly Warner, while incorporating the cost into cell phone charges, according to the report. So, instead of paying per song, customers would pay a little extra for their phones or their wireless service and obtain most, or all, of the labels' music as part of a package deal. The service would be called Total Music, BusinessWeek.com reported.

The news comes just a few months after Universal announced that it would sell some of its songs through Amazon (NSDQ: AMZN).com, Best Buy (NYSE: BBY), Google (NSDQ: GOOG), Rhapsody, and Wal-Mart. Through that arrangement and others, Universal, Sony, and Warner have already begun selling music free of digital rights management technology on a limited basis.

Recording industry representatives say that piracy costs the U.S. economy $12.5 billion a year. The industry is scrambling to cope with the loss through a slew of lawsuits as well as new distribution models.

Do you know anyone who will pay an additional per-month charge to "rent" music on their cellphone's limited capacity? I don't!

Why is it so incredibly hard for some of these MBAheads to grasp the idea that the reason why iTunes works is its simplicity? You want song? You click song. You have song. Song goes on iPod. Song goes with you. Done.

And yet they come up with these convoluted "music rental"...schemes that fall over on the launch pad. Over and over... 

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Universal comes up with another laughable "challenge" to iTunes...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:16:36 AM »
Probably dreamed up by the same guy that invented the old Circuit City DivX DVD format.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 06:35:48 AM »
How is it music rental?

I know that's what some in the industry want, that you have to pay per play, or per series of plays (another reason why I'm not moving away from CDs anytime soon), but I'm not seeing that here...

Or am I just missing it?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 06:40:58 AM »
How is it music rental?

I know that's what some in the industry want, that you have to pay per play, or per series of plays (another reason why I'm not moving away from CDs anytime soon), but I'm not seeing that here...

Or am I just missing it?

You pay an additional fee per month on your cellphone to have "access" to their "catalog", which tends to be mostly things like Beyonce and Fitty Cent. If you stop paying the fee, no more music.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 06:51:55 AM »
Good thing I use my phone to make phone calls.  Gee, imagine that...

Chris

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:04:01 AM »
Do you know anyone who will pay an additional per-month charge to "rent" music on their cellphone's limited capacity? I don't!

Can you imagine anyone who would want to pay for every text message they send, or every picture they take, or every ringtone they want?  I can't either, but thats why I'm not running the phone companies.

I personally can't see paying to download a song that I can only use on my computer or iPod, either.  I'll stick with Mike and buy CD's, so I can litsen to my music on whateverdevice I want.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 04:16:47 PM »
You pay an additional fee per month on your cellphone to have "access" to their "catalog", which tends to be mostly things like Beyonce and Fitty Cent. If you stop paying the fee, no more music.

no music period.  It's a 'rental' type system, not purchasing.  You'd lose access to the songs you've already downloaded.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 04:43:16 PM »
Still no cellular telephone here. Still no micro-tunes gadget. Heck, I still haven't hooked up the old-fashioned stereo I bought for the studio a couple years ago.

Still packing a revolver, for that matter.

Old guys...!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 06:34:57 AM »

So it doesn't actually download the song onto your phone like an IPod, then?

I guess the thought is they're trying to compete with Sirrus or XM.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.