Author Topic: Women shouldn't be imprisoned at all. No, it's not The Onion.  (Read 5019 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Women shouldn't be imprisoned at all. No, it's not The Onion.
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »
If there legitimately isn't any job they can learn to do, then that's a different situation.  That's a pretty small percentage of the people living off the disability system, though.

She had a few years where she helped assemble sprinkler sub-systems, but even at below minimum wage(legal exemption) they had too hard of a time competing against China. 

Roughly speaking, all I'm trying to point out is that there actually ARE lots of people in the disability system that are legitimately disabled.  In many cases while they can find some employment, it's insufficient to cover their extensive medical requirements.  IE my grandfather, even if they'd retrained him for light office work he probably wouldn't have been able to work full time.  Due to the injuries even operating a typewriter* at an acceptable rate for the time would have been improbable.  Heck, his position as a mechanic was due to his first training/retraining program after a really nasty case of Polio(iron lung, final rites multiple times). 

Since there is a legitimate need for the program, we keep it.  REFORMING it is a slightly different topic which I'm perfectly willing to discuss and agree with.  Personally, I'm fond of the idea of increasing the idea of 'partially disabled' where you receive assistance in the form of coverage for medical care and devices related to your disability as well as income lost due to restricted ability to work.  You're still expected to work, at least for the most part.

Maybe have a rule that encourages charities to hire them.

*Remember we're talking 30+ years ago.