Author Topic: Hearing too much about Obama  (Read 6204 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Hearing too much about Obama
« on: August 06, 2008, 07:50:25 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080806/ap_on_el_pr/poll_obama_overexposure

Poll: Nearly half hearing too much about Obama

2 hours, 1 minute ago

Barack Obama may be the fresh face in this year's presidential election, but nearly half say they're already tired of hearing about him, a poll says.

With Election Day still three months away, 48 percent said they're hearing too much about the Democratic candidate, according to a poll released Wednesday by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center. Just 26 percent said the same about his Republican rival, John McCain.

Obama, the 47-year-old Illinois senator who would become the first black president, has dominated political news coverage much of the year. According to an ongoing Pew study, Obama has appeared in more news stories this year and more people say they have heard more about him than McCain, the longtime Arizona senator who also ran for president in 2000.

Two-thirds of Republicans and about half of independents said they've heard too much about Obama, as did a third of Democrats, a significant number.

At the same time, nearly four in 10 said they've been hearing too little about McCain — about four times the number who said so about Obama. About half of Republicans, four in 10 independents and even a quarter of Democrats said they've not heard enough about the GOP candidate.

The poll was conducted from Aug. 1-4 and involved telephone interviews with 1,004 adults. It had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

___

On the Web:

Pew Research Center: http://people-press.org

This seems like it could be a good thing, and could possibly influence how people vote. I could see that hearing too much about a candidate could lead people to not vote for him simply because they're oversaturated with information about him. I also find it interesting how many Democrats say they're hearing too much about their Chosen One. I wonder if this finding could be considered proof of real media bias?

And yes, I'm sick of hearing about Obama too... and wish there would be more media coverage of McCain and his campaign.
Andy

yesitsloaded

• friends
Re: Hearing too much about Obama
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:36:26 AM »
Shut up, we're sick of hearing about him. grin
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 08:42:05 AM »
I'm not sick of hearing about Obama.  He keeps me in stitches.   cheesy

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 08:48:36 AM »
Here is your joke of the day then. http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/
(CNN)  After barely a week on the job, Barack Obama's Muslim outreach adviser resigned from the campaign after an old business connection with a fundamentalist Islamic imam surfaced last week.

Mazen Asbahi, a Chicago corporate lawyer, stepped down Monday after joining the campaign on July 26 as its national coordinator for Muslim affairs. The Wall Street Journal first reported the resignation on Tuesday night.

In a letter to the campaign, Asbahi wrote, "I am stepping down from the volunteer role I recently agreed to take on with the Obama campaign as Arab American and Muslim American outreach coordinator in order to avoid distracting from Barack Obama's message of change."

Asbahi served on the board of the Delaware-based Allied Assets Advisors Fund for a brief period in 2000 with Jamal Said, the imam of a fundamentalist mosque outside Chicago, the Wall Street Journal reports. The report links Said to fundamentalist groups Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood and says he was named by the Justice Department as an unindicted co-conspirator in the racketeering trial of suspected Hamas fundraisers that ended in a mistrial.

"I served on that board for only a few weeks before resigning as soon as I became aware of public allegations against another member of the board," Asbahi wrote in his letter to the campaign.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 09:21:02 AM »
I was talking to my ex-gf, current close friend who is big into the Houston progressive scene.

She was telling me that the local Houston independent/Progressive radio station "Pacifica" or somesuch was having a problem.

Apparently, the way the station works is that the owner/operators let the people who host the shows to do pretty much whatever they want.

So it turned out that every day of every week, every topic of every show was devoted to talking about Obama.

The owner made a new rule "You cant talk JUST about Obama, it is boring."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »
. . . the Houston progressive scene.
Isn't "progressive" newspeak for "liberal" or "leftist?"

Whenever the word progressive crops up in a political conversation, I always try to interject something along the lines of "Progressive? Don't you mean liberal or left-wing? Or are you trying to hide the politics?"

It tends to derail their train of thought.  grin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 12:09:59 PM »
Why are we talking about the fact that we're talking about Obama too much?.....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 08:46:10 PM »
Why would you want to talk about something other than Him?  He's just so magical, He absorbs our every waking moment, with just the promise of His smile, His laugh, His Miraculous Energy Plan, His Precipitous Withdrawal from Iraq. 

He's dreamy. 

LAK

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 04:18:01 AM »
And I am still seeing alot more Obama bumper stickers. Alot more. Not a single McCain and one Hillary.

----------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 04:19:49 AM »
And I am still seeing alot more Obama bumper stickers. Alot more. Not a single McCain and one Hillary.

Well, that might be because people who might support McCain don't put stickers on their cars in general. Wink If his campaign was smart, they'd give out the gold-and-black logo as magnets.

I've only seen two Obama stickers here. One was on a rusted out clunker, and the other was on a Pious with MA plates.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 04:51:31 AM »

Around here I've seen a grand total of two bumper stickers referring to the election. One was for Obama, the other was a NObama sticker.
Andy

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 06:50:36 AM »

Well, that might be because people who might support McCain don't put stickers on their cars in general. Wink If his campaign was smart, they'd give out the gold-and-black logo as magnets.

Pretty much.

I don't do bumper stickers, never will.  They're a little bit like tattoos, although they're a bit more easily removed.  That, and in a college town having an anti-Obama or pro-McCain sticker is just asking to have your vehicle vandalized.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 07:15:21 AM »
I live in the liberal capital of Montana, Obama crap is everywhere.  Bumper stickers, yard signs, pins, etc.  I have yet to see a single piece of McCain signage of any sort.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 08:54:43 AM »
What do the bumper stickers and yard signs really do, anyway?  Is Obama more likely to win because his name is everywhere? 

Obviously, it's one sign of how popular a candidate is, or how much people actually like him.  But why do campaigns spend money on that stuff? 

LAK

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 03:43:32 AM »
Well, I saw plenty of Bush stickers during the last couple of bouts. I would not have thought that the same folk - or at least a fraction of them - would have suddenly come to dislike bumper stickers on their cars.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 08:43:38 AM »
I have come to dislike bumper stickers in the last few years, actually.

2swap

• friend
  • : 4 5 ;
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 08:16:05 PM »
When I hear these speculations, I always lose my faith in humanity a bit more. It should matter who has the best political positions, not whom you heard (too) often in the media  angry
: spin
  92 47 124 45 45 58 emit dup emit emit
  begin 8 emit dup emit swap 2swap key? until ;

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 10:19:13 PM »
I've seen at least one Obama sticker, I think I've seen a McCain sticker. And I even once saw a Bob Barr sticker, and I was like "Who in the world is Bob Barr?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 05:12:57 AM »
For some reason this morning, Fox's morning show bubbleheads were babbling and giggling about which Hollywood celebrities would be the best Obama appointees. To positions like Secretary of Defense and Secretary of State and the like.

Idiocracy was too optimistic.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »

I've only seen two Obama stickers here. One was on a rusted out clunker, and the other was on a Pious with MA plates.

I trust that last one was deliberate?  grin

Plenty of Obama stickers in the NoVA area, but I've seen several McCain stickers as well (which are usually placed on the window glass, where they can be more easily removed later).

There are even still a few Ron Paul stickers riding around on the roads (vehicles were unremarkable - mid-range late-model sedans in good repair, for the two I remember at all offhand).  Strangely, there is a decided lack of orange dust following those vehicles...