Author Topic: A Boycott List of Businesses that Deal with/in Trump  (Read 1725 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
A Boycott List of Businesses that Deal with/in Trump
« on: January 12, 2017, 12:03:50 PM »
I just saw this on Fox News, that there is a website that as a list of companies that anti-Trumpers should boycott because the deal with Trump or deal in Trump items.
https://grabyourwallet.org/

This is the article from Fox:
http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/01/12/linda-bean-calls-anti-trump-boycotts-un-american-form-bullying.html
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: A Boycott List of Businesses that Deal with/in Trump
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »

Why boycott now? Dude just handed over his business interests to someone else.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 12:45:20 PM »
I just saw this on Fox News, that there is a website that as a list of companies that anti-Trumpers should boycott because the deal with Trump or deal in Trump items.
https://grabyourwallet.org/

I saw the interview on Fox Business with the LL Bean grandaughter that current hoopla is about. She personally (vs LL Bean) gave some amount of money to a PAC supporting Trump. The LL Bean CEO gave (personally) three times the amount to Obama last time around. No boycott then.

LL Bean has actually stated that their policy is to keep politics completely out of the business and have never given money as "LL Bean" to any candidate. What's funny (because progressives and empowering women) is that the grandaughter (who actually comes off as a sweet grandmother) owns like a half dozen of her own companies, and apparently they are not being boycotted.

Additionally LL Bean saw an immediate uptick in sales after the boycott was announced. They are currently hiring an extra 100 workers to keep up with Bean Boot demand. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 12:56:06 PM »
I'm so sick of people pissing and moaning about being boycotted. You can argue that the reasoning behind a given boycott is wrong, but boycotting itself is pretty much the opposite of "bullying" or "un-American". Voting with your wallet is an important and effective tool and one of the proper ways to express your displeasure with a given company.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 12:58:40 PM »
I've never shopped Bean before, and probably can't afford them, but good to know.

I am disappointed that everything is now "bullying."

“It’s bullying,” Bean told the FOX Business Network’s Maria Bartiromo. “They want to control how we spend our money, what we buy, where we buy it. That’s wrong, it’s un-American.”

Actually, it's very American.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Nonimportation-Agreements

...colonial nonimportation associations were organized by Sons of Liberty and Whig merchants to boycott English goods. In each case, British merchants and manufacturers suffered curtailed trade with the colonies and exerted the anticipated pressure on Parliament.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »
I'm so sick of people pissing and moaning about being boycotted. You can argue that the reasoning behind a given boycott is wrong, but boycotting itself is pretty much the opposite of "bullying" or "un-American". Voting with your wallet is an important and effective tool and one of the proper ways to express your displeasure with a given company.

Sure if it's the company. If I boycotted every company whose employee(s) gave personal contributions to some cause I don't like, I couldn't buy a single thing.

Otherwise probably 95% of APS members should be buying not a single thing through Amazon. Ironically, Amazon is on this boycott list. I guess they can't win. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 01:12:08 PM »
Also, reading further into the link:

In the weeks following the election several notables including Kanye West, Tommy Hilfiger, and Diane Von Furstenburg expressed various types of support for the Trump family -- from Kanye saying he would have voted for Trump if he had voted at all to Hilfiger & Von Furstenburg indicating they'd likely design for Melania. Although members of the #GrabYourWallet team aren't likely to be buying any clothes from designers who align themselves with the Trump family, our boycott is primarily focused primarily on (1) retailers that are selling Trump family products and realizing monthly revenues from doing so and (2) wealthy corporate leaders who funded Donald's rise to political power. We are strongly in favor of free expression and wary of placing individuals on the boycott list merely for their opinion and/or creative involvement. If the business relationships between designers and the Trump family become more firm at some point in the future, this may change.

So don't boycott movies because of the personal feelings of the actors in them, but boycott Bean and others because of the personal feelings of their employees. Was this list made by Hollywood?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »
Was this list made by Hollywood?

No, but the script was written by a Hollyweird screen writer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
Newspaper article today mentioned that the same people who want a boycott of L.L. Bean are rather upset with Trump who, in response, praised the company and said "Buy LL Bean!"

:facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
Newspaper article today mentioned that the same people who want a boycott of L.L. Bean are rather upset with Trump who, in response, praised the company and said "Buy LL Bean!"

I know I'm seeing a few discussions on other boards along the lines of "I haven't had any LL Bean stuff in years.  Which boots/jacket/whatever should I buy now?"