Author Topic: Beating Manners Into Rude People  (Read 3467 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Beating Manners Into Rude People
« on: March 15, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »
This gal's approach is similar to mine:  Use social pressure and tools to their utmost rather than using gov't power to change boorish behavior.

http://biggovernment.com/ngillespie/2010/03/14/reason-tv-advice-goddess-amy-alkon-on-beating-manners-into-rude-people/
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Re: Beating Manners Into Rude People
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 02:07:26 PM »
Good for her.  I wish more people acted like her.  I wish I could say that I do what she does, but sometimes I find it easier to keep quiet.  I am going to have to pick up her book and see what she suggests.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 02:21:41 PM »
Awesome.  :cool:

I'm not nearly as proactive as she is, but I've been known to call people out on rudeness in public.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:36:44 PM »
Would the fact that you're carrying have any influence on whether you call someone on their rude behavior?  Suppose the situation escalates.  Personally, I'd have no problem backing off, apologizing, or whatever to avoid pushing things to a violent stage.  But who knows what the other person might do.

When I took my CCW class, the instructor said that it wasn't really a CCW class... it was "wussies 101."  A lot of truth in that.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »
Would the fact that you're carrying have any influence on whether you call someone on their rude behavior?

No.  I've been doing it since long before I had my CCW.  I don't do it often, though. 

Suppose the situation escalates.  Personally, I'd have no problem backing off, apologizing, or whatever to avoid pushing things to a violent stage.  But who knows what the other person might do.

When I took my CCW class, the instructor said that it wasn't really a CCW class... it was "wussies 101."  A lot of truth in that.

DD

I agree with this, but you can't walk through life never speaking out against rudeness or idiocy for fear of being killed.  There's a happy medium between letting the world walk all over you, and being paranoid.  That happy medium =  assessing a situation based on your best judgment and life experiences. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 10:52:47 PM »
I've backed off many times. Had a guy get in my face in a parking lot and started calling me all sorts of names because he thought I was driving too slowly when he was behind me. I should have insulted him every which way to Sunday, but I just apologized for my driving. He didn't know what to say.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 10:56:28 PM »
I've backed off many times. Had a guy get in my face in a parking lot and started calling me all sorts of names because he thought I was driving too slowly when he was behind me. I should have insulted him every which way to Sunday, but I just apologized for my driving. He didn't know what to say.

That's often the best way to back out of a potentially violent situation.  By responding in a way he didn't expect, you threw him off script.  That's an art I've mastered as a business owner.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 11:43:34 PM »
I'm a lot more hostile when I'm not carrying. Told a person or two how it was over their better than everyone behavior whilst stuck in airport lines over the holidays.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BMacklem

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 11:57:44 PM »
Problem I can see with it is with what just happened in the movie theater in california somewhere.
Some guy shushs some lowlife welfare mother yapping on her phone in the middle of the movie, and her thug boyfriend pulls out a meat thermometer and stabs the guy in the neck a couple of times.

That's why I'd avoid even trying to correct rudness, as it's all around, and I think they do it intentionally so they have an "excuse" to turn into an animal, and try to kill you.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 12:40:54 AM »
I always carry a meat thermometer with me.  ???

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »
I always carry a meat thermometer with me.  ???

I used to carry a meat type thermometer with me quite a bit (pulled a reefer) however, I would be more likely to pull out my fishing gaff in such a circumstance.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 05:13:36 PM »
I often carry a titanium spork.  Not the best for defense, but regarding the aforementioned "putting them off their script," it works wonders.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Iain

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »
Seriously considered it tonight. Chav in his loud Corsa just ran right over a zebra crossing I was walking on (my right of way). Because the road loops back around I came up to him as he was waiting at traffic lights. Did consider standing in front of his car while the lights changed, but realised he was with the car in front and there were five of them in that car. 6 on 1 is not odds I fancy.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

darius

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »
Awesome.  :cool:

I'm not nearly as proactive as she is, but I've been known to call people out on rudeness in public.

What is with the coffee shop yackers?  What is that?

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 06:28:37 PM »
What is with the coffee shop yackers?  What is that?

I've noticed it's just as bad in restaurants as coffee shops.  If someone calls me while I am in close quarters with a bunch of strangers, be it at a restaurant or in any sort of line, I either take it outside or call them back after I leave.

The vast majority of instances where I call people out on rudeness is if I hold a door for someone and they don't say "Thank you".  They get a really loud "YOU'RE WELCOME".  Surprisingly, most people do turn around, say thank you, and apologize.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 06:29:07 PM »
Would the fact that you're carrying have any influence on whether you call someone on their rude behavior?  Suppose the situation escalates.  Personally, I'd have no problem backing off, apologizing, or whatever to avoid pushing things to a violent stage.  But who knows what the other person might do.

DD

I'm very much of the same school of thought. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 06:33:54 PM »
I'm very much of the same school of thought. 

that's why I didn't take a class, I'm already enough of a wuss!