Author Topic: Beautiful old war bird video  (Read 806 times)

robear

• friend
Beautiful old war bird video
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »
B17 and B25 over Arizona.

http://vimeo.com/18135369

It's in HD, with a great soundtrack (someone said it was from the John Adams mini-series).   Turn the sound up and go full screen!

Rocketman, isn't this "Sentimental Journey" that you used to crew?

Enjoy.

Chuck Dye

• friend
Re: Beautiful old war bird video
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »
Great video, I guess, but hardly compares to an afternoon sitting in a Lompoc garlic field waiting for a load and watching a B-17 drop suppressant on a brush fire.  Seeing that monster flown like a crop duster was something else.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »
Back in the early 80s there was a forest fire near the airport I managed at the time.  The forest service brought in a B-17 and a PB4Y water bombers.  They were there 10 days and I was in hog heaven.  I got to ride on the B-17.  A great experience.  I have alot of pictures somewhere......chris3

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:59:28 PM »
The music is from the 'John Adams' mini-series.  I got it for my wife for Xmas a couple of years ago.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:11:56 PM »
I love B-17s. Grandad piloted a PBY Catalina (Atlantic, based in Bahia, Brazil) and my great uncle piloted a B-24 in the Pacific, but there's just something about the lines of the B-17 that get me.

A few years ago we had a fire in the bosque along the Rio Grande. Sikorsky Sky Crane was doing the honors. Shame I let folks take the video camera for a vacation, I would have loved to record footage of that. Then again, plenty of fires here now, I may get the opportunity... :O
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »
That's her, robear.  Thanks for posting that.  It literally brought tears to my eyes to see the old girl fly like that.
You should have seen that B25 when the AZ Wing first got it back in the 80's.  That's assuming it is the same one, and I believe it is.  A green zinc chromated monstrosity, ex-bug bomber IIRC.  Even so, she still had those special NA Aviation lines.  She looks great now.
I got to see both SJ and the B25 last October when I was in Phoenix on business.  No one around the museum that I knew from those days. Hell, the museum was just the patch of dirt by a taxiway that we worked on.
And Doug Champlin's Fighter Museum is gone (though I heard that Seattle's Museum of Flight got most of his collection.)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »
My personal favorite...... Fi-Fi!   :laugh: