Author Topic: Beating walmart at it's own game, Family Dollar and Dollar General  (Read 15548 times)

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
I am seeing these Dollar General and Family Dollar stores open up in small communities and I think they are going to hurt walmart.  There is one opening up near me.  The community has about 5000 people living in it.  The closest walmart is a 20 minute drive on the freeway, why drive that far if you can go 5 mins and get the few things you need?  Walmart may get the weekly shopping trip, but these guys will grab all the little money. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Beating walmart at it's own game, Family Dollar and Dollar General
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »
The name brand stuff they carry is okay, but I've tried some of the uber cheap never-heard-of-the-brand products and they suck royally.  One that leaps to mind is cleaners... watered-down semi effective pseudo imitations of decent products.  You end up spending more over time. The product might cost half the more recognizeable brand, but it takes three times as much to do the same job.

Flyswatters, toilet brushes, etc. Sure. Stuff that has a really important job to do? Pass.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
Doller General and Family Doller have been around a lot longer then Wallyworld.

They're not going to replace walmart.

Doller stores are pretty commen in rural areas. Around here BFE towns tend to be served by at least one Doller General, one Southern States, a gas station and not much else.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:08:26 PM by bluestarlizzard »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »
I don't think they will replace walmart, I just think they are going to take a good chunk of money from them.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:10:45 PM »
I don't think they will replace walmart, I just think they are going to take a good chunk of money from them.

My point is more along the lines that Walmart took the cash from them in the first place.

Again, those stores are nothing new.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 09:37:07 PM »
"Dime stores"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:07:39 PM »
Amazon is going to take the big money from walmart. Dollar stores are going to take the little money. The only thing left is groceries, so it just depends how that shakes out with the smaller grocers.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:39:18 PM »
Walmart is 30 minutes away, there are now 3 Dollar General stores along that route. In my little town we have one gas station/convenience store, one crappy grocery store and a Dollar General. The DG tried to get the city to lease them more of the building they are in but city didn't want them expanding and offering more competition to the chain grocery store. DG bought a parcel just outside city limits and built a nice new big building. Whoops.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 11:41:34 PM »
The name brand stuff they carry is okay, but I've tried some of the uber cheap never-heard-of-the-brand products and they suck royally. 

One of my favorite episodes...
I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 11:44:07 PM »
Probably due to growing up semi-poor and rural I always attached a stigma to dollar stores since we weren't poor enough for that and gov't cheese. Now? Dollar General can cover most of my food staple needs minus fresh foods, I typically shop there once a week, it's 9 miles from me, Wal-mart is 50 miles from me. My Wal-mart (or Martin's if I'm rich) runs thus get limited to once a month. No DG cannot sell me produce, change my oil and tires, sell me a gun, lawnmower, and beer in the same cart(Murica!) but it's close and covers a lot of my needs. If I tried hard local farmer's market and a couple of shops sell local meat, I don't have to leave nowhere to get by.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 11:57:14 PM »
I am seeing these Dollar General and Family Dollar stores open up in small communities and I think they are going to hurt walmart.  There is one opening up near me.  The community has about 5000 people living in it.  The closest walmart is a 20 minute drive on the freeway, why drive that far if you can go 5 mins and get the few things you need?  Walmart may get the weekly shopping trip, but these guys will grab all the little money. 

I remember visiting my in-laws when they lived in Rolla, MO maybe 35 years ago.  There was a Walmart in town that was about the size of a Dollar Store.  That is what Walmart was in those days.  They've gone from Dollar Store size to what they are now in the last 35 years.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 12:12:17 AM »
Walmart is supposedly getting back into the dollar store/small-footprint discount store arena.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/barbarathau/2012/11/06/dollar-chains-tap-smokes-booze-to-drive-sales-fight-wal-marts-small-format-stores/

Although I haven't seen one here yet, Walmart has just opened a few of the smaller grocery-only stores in the area. I think Dollar General's and Family Dollar's willingness to occupy any existing space that's available (Hardware stores that have gone out of business seems common around Milwaukee)  makes them a bit more nimble. I presume Walmart has to source the land and build everything to their pre-determined layouts even for these small stores.
I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 12:57:46 AM »
DG seems very good at the low cost real estate game. Hard for WM to move into a small town where another store already is. Family Dollar not near as useful as DG, Dollar Tree is still a junk store found in the 'hood.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 01:26:09 AM »
DG seems very good at the low cost real estate game. Hard for WM to move into a small town where another store already is. Family Dollar not near as useful as DG, Dollar Tree is still a junk store found in the 'hood.

There might be ghetto Dollar Trees around here, but Wisconsinites are so notoriously stingy, there's several of them in nice areas.  :rofl:

I will admit I make a run every two weeks for the $1 20oz Rip-Its energy drinks (Popular at FOB's in the sandbox, or so I hear), way better than paying $4 or more for the same sized Red Bull.

Cafffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnn.  [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Beating walmart at it's own game, Family Dollar and Dollar General
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 06:14:01 AM »
Walmart is supposedly getting back into the dollar store/small-footprint discount store arena.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/barbarathau/2012/11/06/dollar-chains-tap-smokes-booze-to-drive-sales-fight-wal-marts-small-format-stores/

Although I haven't seen one here yet, Walmart has just opened a few of the smaller grocery-only stores in the area. I think Dollar General's and Family Dollar's willingness to occupy any existing space that's available (Hardware stores that have gone out of business seems common around Milwaukee)  makes them a bit more nimble. I presume Walmart has to source the land and build everything to their pre-determined layouts even for these small stores.

I have yet to see the grocery only stores, we did have one of our Walmarts reduce their space by about half.  It is really weird to go shopping in since you can only use the left entrance to get into the store.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 10:00:34 AM »
[we did have one of our Walmarts reduce their space by about half/quote]

In Billings, they just "remodeled" and now have about half the shelf space and inventory, and much wider aisles.   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »
Hmmm, never been in a Dollar store.

Do they have really weird people in them like Walmart- especially after midnight?
Its one of the reasons I like shopping at Wlamrt at night- circus sideshow.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »

Do they have really weird people in them like Walmart- especially after midnight?

Where I work the workers are weirder than the customers.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »

Don't think they're open that late.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »

I had never seen a DG until a few years ago visiting my dad in a small town in Texas.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 11:37:05 AM »
We go to the dollar store for stupid disposable things, or for decorations for things like kid's parties. 
Helped my son build a soda-bottle fish trap yesterday.  Got the soda from the dollar store, since we were just pouring it out anyway.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »
I go to ones for a few small things.   Aspirin (since I have to take one each day)  Why pay $4.95 for 100 at Wal-Greens (sorry Lupinus) when I can get 325 for $1.00 at DT/DG/FD?   (Used to get 500 for a $1.00, but there ain't no inflatin' going on here.)

And yes, I mostly buy disposable/single use crap, occasionally some canned goods and school supplies.  
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:02:54 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »
I remember visiting my in-laws when they lived in Rolla, MO maybe 35 years ago.  There was a Walmart in town that was about the size of a Dollar Store.  That is what Walmart was in those days.  They've gone from Dollar Store size to what they are now in the last 35 years.
I don't remember Walmart stores being that small, but I do remember their ad campaigns which used to tout all the "MADE IN USA" products they carried.

As for the other cheap stores, my mother likes Dollar Tree because they carry greeting cards (birthday, get well, etc.) for $.50 - $1.00, rather than the inflated prices grocery and drug stores charge. Otherwise, what Brad said holds:

. . . Flyswatters, toilet brushes, etc. Sure. Stuff that has a really important job to do? Pass.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »
8 years ago Wal-mart did $0 in groceries.

Now they are in the top 3 for Grocery sales (might even be #1)

My last few trips through Wal-mart I've seen these $1 bins of crap up by the check out lanes, seems like Wal-mart is going after the dollar stores.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 01:47:22 AM »
Kmart started out as Kresge's (SP) back east. The epitome of the "Dime Store" Now Kmart owns Sears.  Stores/ markets change life goes on.