Author Topic: Beating walmart at it's own game, Family Dollar and Dollar General  (Read 15550 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Beating walmart at it's own game, Family Dollar and Dollar General
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »
you get a small thing for a dollar, you get three times as much for a dollar 75 at wally world.
However I will buy stuff there on occasion, you have to shop hard though to really beat wallyworld.

I am beginning to think I must look really weird, I go to wally world and see attractive women/girls all over.
I must be the ugly weirdo everyone is talking about. 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 01:05:39 PM »
I am beginning to think I must look really weird, I go to wally world and see attractive women/girls all over.
I must be the ugly weirdo everyone is talking about. 

Lower standards?   ;)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 01:17:33 PM »
Kmart started out as Kresge's (SP) back east. The epitome of the "Dime Store" Now Kmart owns Sears.  Stores/ markets change life goes on.

Youngster.

I remember when Woolworths became Woolco.

Quote from: Wikipedia
In the 1960s, the five-and-dime concept evolved into the larger discount store format. In 1962, Woolworth's founded a chain of large, single floor discount stores called Woolco. Some of these stores were branded as Winfields, after the founder's middle name. This was the same year as its competitors opened similar retail chains that sold merchandise at a discount: the S.S. Kresge Company opened Kmart, Dayton's opened Target, and Sam Walton opened his first Wal-Mart store.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 01:40:24 PM »
Youngster.

We had a Woolworths that mom shopped at all the time.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »
And some of my oldest childhood memories involve trips to Woolco along with Big Bear and Kroger grocery stores all in the same strip mall.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »
I remember Woolworths, One of my favorites - preteen, but then they just closed up & disappeared about '65. I don't recall Woolco at all. Woolworth was always a step above Kresge in quality & selection. Besides, they had a lunch counter.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 04:07:57 PM »
I have a shotgun that I think my mom said that my stepdad bought for her from Woolworths  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 10:41:33 PM »
Walmart has a well-earned reputation for being rundown with poor displays and empty, mislabeled shelves. Dirty stores are an insult to customers. Sloppy shelves imply a fundamental lack of respect.

When the only competition was a hodgepodge of inefficient local stores with much higher prices, customers were willing to suffer a little abuse. Now that companies like Family Dollar (FDO) have closed the price gap it's becoming apparent that shoppers prefer to spend their money in tidier, less confusing places when given the choice.

I just ran across this here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/3-reasons-walmart-empire-collapsing-164315981.html
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 11:08:53 PM »
Walmart has a well-earned reputation for being rundown with poor displays and empty, mislabeled shelves. Dirty stores are an insult to customers. Sloppy shelves imply a fundamental lack of respect.

When the only competition was a hodgepodge of inefficient local stores with much higher prices, customers were willing to suffer a little abuse. Now that companies like Family Dollar (FDO) have closed the price gap it's becoming apparent that shoppers prefer to spend their money in tidier, less confusing places when given the choice. 

Someone has clearly never been in a Family Doller. ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2013, 11:21:07 AM »
Is there anyone here being forced to shop at only Walmart? So help me God let me know. It's one thing for them to have insanely good prices on everything but to actually force people to give them their money!? Outrageous!
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »
Walmart empire is collapsing  ???

Well, they say the Sun only has about five billion more years to go.  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2013, 12:34:16 PM »

And I remember when I was in business school in the late 90's, we studied the Wal-Mart computerized inventory and automatic ordering system as a marvel of just-in-time inventory success.  Now, when I go to a local Wal-Mart, I am also struck by the number of items I am looking for that are out of stock.  It is my perception that the local Targets do a much better job of inventory management.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »
When I worked as a vender/merchandiser for a company, I would have to go into walmarts and do store checks on items.  One of the first responsibilities was to check and make sure the items and tags were on the shelf.  Night crew is notorious for pulling tags on items out of stock. Next if the product was out of stock, I was to go to the back room and find it and fill.  Just because a product my be ordered by the computer, doesn't mean that night crew will fill it.  Before every holiday, esp in summer, I would have to go on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday to walmarts filling products, mostly for Kraft, but sometimes P&G.  Companies have to pay a lot of money to 3rd parties, to check up on walmarts.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

HankB

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »
Youngster.

I remember as a young kid when our local Woolworths had a grill that served some of the best hamburgers, fries, and milk shakes around. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »
I remember as a young kid when our local Woolworths had a grill that served some of the best hamburgers, fries, and milk shakes around. 

This.  In spades.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2013, 12:05:38 PM »
Fifty years ago Sears and Montgomery Ward's ruled retail empires. 

Ward's is no more and Sears is barely hanging on by the K-mart thread (who are also barely hanging on).

Wal-mart has had it's day in the sun.  Something is coming along to take their place. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »
K-Mart was the first Walmart - so to speak.  In the 60's and early 70's, you went to K-Mart for cheap Japan and China (Taiwan) goods.  The clothes were garbage, sewn with monofilament line.  Shoes were made of plastics.  Their goods were at least as bad as are the goods from Walmart today.  I was in Walmart last night looking for something and ran into my boss there.  I couldn't find what I wanted and he suggested K-Mart and that K-Mart's stuff was pretty good quality.  I had just never heard anyone refer to K-Mart as better quality before.

We have a K-Mart in town but I've been in it maybe once in 10 years.  After going in, I remembered why I had only been there once in 10 years.

Off-topic but I had to go past the sporting goods department.  They sell hunting clothes, gun cases, and other gun-related items but no guns and no ammunition.  Why would anyone buy hunting gear from a store that doesn't sell hunting gear?  Or at least not a full or even reasonable set of hunting gear?  I'd go to Dick's Sporting Goods for my hunting gear before I'd go to K-Mart... and I would never go to Dick's unless they were the last sporting goods store in existence.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2013, 06:53:26 PM »
Off-topic but I had to go past the sporting goods department.  They sell hunting clothes, gun cases, and other gun-related items but no guns and no ammunition.  Why would anyone buy hunting gear from a store that doesn't sell hunting gear?  Or at least not a full or even reasonable set of hunting gear?  I'd go to Dick's Sporting Goods for my hunting gear before I'd go to K-Mart... and I would never go to Dick's unless they were the last sporting goods store in existence.

Michael Moore badgered Klunk-mart in to dropping guns (post Columbine?).  That's when I stopped going, other than to tag along with wifey.  The local one folded last year.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2013, 07:38:35 PM »
Before Walmart, Dads cheapo place to pick up guns was Roses, which was another of those everything stores.

They got out of selling guns about the same time as Kmart, IIRC, but I don't think that made much effect on their bottem line. The local one was already on the way out at that point.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2013, 07:45:44 PM »
I stopped at Wal-Mart today on my way to the library.  I was looking for three items, none of which were in stock.  One of the items was a box of asssorted band-aids.  The shelf must have had 20+ SKU slots for various permutations of band-aids, and only three of those slots had any items in them.  Same thing for buying a toenail clipper; the item I was looking for was gone, and there were more empty slots for grooming implements than full ones. Every time this happens, I think a little more about buying more stuff via Amazon.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2013, 08:00:06 PM »
I stopped at Wal-Mart today on my way to the library.  I was looking for three items, none of which were in stock.  One of the items was a box of asssorted band-aids.  The shelf must have had 20+ SKU slots for various permutations of band-aids, and only three of those slots had any items in them.  Same thing for buying a toenail clipper; the item I was looking for was gone,

You got a Buck knife, don't you?

and there were more empty slots for grooming implements than full ones. Every time this happens, I think a little more about buying more stuff via Amazon.

My wife was amazed to find that one could buy toilet paper on ebay for good prices.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
I stopped at Wal-Mart today on my way to the library.  I was looking for three items, none of which were in stock.  One of the items was a box of asssorted band-aids.  The shelf must have had 20+ SKU slots for various permutations of band-aids, and only three of those slots had any items in them.  Same thing for buying a toenail clipper; the item I was looking for was gone, and there were more empty slots for grooming implements than full ones. Every time this happens, I think a little more about buying more stuff via Amazon.

You know, I was almost going to post about how the walmart here is usually well stocked and we must just have a good one, but then I remembered that I had to skip stocking up on Aveeno body wash because they were out and it wasn't the first time. :/

However, the walmart shopping list generally consists of stuff that would require trips to CVS (which is more pricy) or one of the upper scale grocery store (blerg)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »
Walmart stores GM's and DM's supposedly have a lot of autonomy in how and what they order, and if they do a good job, and what they order goes off the shelves and makes WM $$$, it supposedly shows up in all their fancy JIT inventory and tracking systems in Bentonvile. And it's why sometimes you'll read of amazing stuff showing up at Walmart, like people bragging that their local WM's gun counter is almost as good as a dedicated gun store or sporting good's store (in long guns and ammo anyway), because the Sporting Goods DM is a gun nut and keeps it stocked, or like I read on some other forums that oddball stuff for ANY big-box store, like Mountain House survival food buckets being in the bulk/seasonal/institutional aisle because maybe the DM there is a survivalist/prepper, or was at least reading up on them...

However, the converse is true too, if the GM or DM is a slouch and not keeping on top of things, or requesting alternatives if some mfg's stuff runs out, like switching to Curad or Equate generics if Johnson & Johnson are not getting enough Band-Aid's, or switching to Oster if Whal isn't getting enough men's trimmers in, stuff will go AWOL from the shelves.

And I'm not sure how well Walmart's systems work at "proving a negative" if the overall store or department's health is "okay".  

Around here, the Walmarts seem well stocked, for a Walmart. In the Super Walmart, the grocery section is limited and still smaller than a dedicated supermarket, the clothing and housewares a bit smaller than a large Target's, toys seem about even-Steven, but the Sporting Goods, and Hardware/Auto section are obviously much larger than Target's.

I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2013, 10:05:09 AM »
Michael Moore badgered Klunk-mart in to dropping guns (post Columbine?).  That's when I stopped going, other than to tag along with wifey.  The local one folded last year.

When we first moved to Montana, there was a K-mart right at the north edge of Billings.  We and apparently a lot of folks from the next little town would do a lot of shopping there and avoid driving into Billings proper.  Then they closed down that store.  We hardly ever go into the remaining Kmart, but it is a good place to avoid crowds  ;)

Time wise the closing would have roughly corresponded to post-Concubine  =|

There are two Walmarts now, but the one out on the north end a couple miles from the old Kmart seems rude and/or poorly managed.  The other one in spite of being on Big Box Row is still small town friendly.  Anyway after moving to the hills we come into the city on a different highway.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
This.  In spades.
Me too was huge treat for us kids. Heck so was mcdonalds back then

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I