Author Topic: We got an FJW today (flag justice warrior)  (Read 1355 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
We got an FJW today (flag justice warrior)
« on: September 20, 2017, 11:10:25 PM »
Our flags - U.S., state, and University - are on three equal-height poles. Per 4 U.S.C.A. § 7, paragraph f (relevant language):

"When the flags are flown from adjacent staffs, the flag of the United States should be hoisted first and lowered last. No such flag or pennant may be placed above the flag of the United States or to the United States flag's right."

(For clarification "flag's right" means from the flag's perspective.)

In short it says when flying flags on equal-height poles the U.S. flag takes the left-most position from the viewer's perspective. That's how they're flown, and how they have been flown for as long as anyone at the Museum can remember.

Today we got some jerkwad writing us a diatribe about how we're doing it wrong, strongly insinuating that it was being done for purely political reasons. Wrote us a friggin bible on it, including quoting the entirety of 4 U.S.C.A. § 7. He's focused on a bunch of inapplicable sections of the code and isn't letting go. He claims to be retired military and an attorney.

Our ace in the hole is that he's a university employee doing this crap on university time. By the feel of it this isn't the first time, either. If he persists we're going straight to the chair of his college, the university counsel, and human resources. We've neither the time, resources, nor patience to deal with this level of absurdity. I almost wish he'd post it to Facebook so we can spank him in public for wasting our time.

Oh, the claiming to be ex-military part... Is there an online resource I can use to quickly check that?

Brad
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:17:03 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: We got an FJW today (flag justice warrior)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 11:19:13 PM »
It amazes me how so many people know flag etiquette,  and get so much of it wrong.

Oh, and remember, just because someone passes law school and the bar exam doesn't mean he is smart.  Lots of dumba$$ lawyers out there.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 11:25:51 PM »
The late Ann Landers once asked what you call someone who graduated last in his class at medical school. The answer was "Doctor."

The same concept applies to lawyers.

Brad is correct on the flag code. Did this moron's diatribe happen to state how he thinks it should be flown? I'll guess he's holding out for the center flagpole to be taller, and for the American flag to be flown on that.

[Disclaimer: I tend to be a bit of a FJW myself, but I try to at least be correct on the rare occasions I actually make a complaint.]

Quote from: Brad Johnson
Oh, the claiming to be ex-military part... Is there an online resource I can use to quickly check that?

Not that I'm aware of. Especially if you don't even know the branch of service.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 07:10:34 AM »
So, you've got Sheldon Cooper working there?

Howard: You’ve also got something from the Pasadena Municipal Court.

Sheldon: Undoubtedly yet another snide response to my repeated letters complaining that the flags in front of the courthouse are flying in the wrong order. From left to right, it’s supposed to be federal, state, and then city of Pasadena.

Penny: I’m sorry. You sent more than one letter about that?

Sheldon: It bothers me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
So, you've got Sheldon Cooper working there?

:rofl:

Man, I'm off my game. I totally missed posting the Sheldon Cooper "Fun with Flags" response.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 10:46:48 AM »
That was actually not Fun with Flags.

It's the episode where Sheldon gets pulled into traffic court for running a red light in Penny's car when he was taking her to the hospital after she dislocated her shoulder.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 10:54:19 AM »
That was actually not Fun with Flags.

I was just referring to his Youtube channel and general pedantic fascination with flags. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 10:19:16 PM »
Just tell him that from now on you're adding a gold fringe to the flag before it's hoisted, so many of the regular laws will no longer apply.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain