Author Topic: Clint Eastwood at GOP convention.  (Read 8659 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Clint Eastwood at GOP convention.
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »
HankB, in making a movie, the scenes are shot individually, which you know. My point is that an actor says a line or two, and then they cut and take a break. They'll shoot dozens of times if necessary to get the lines just right.

That's the difference between a good speaker and an actor. Paul Ryan and Obama, for example, are very good speakers, but can't act (although it could be argued that Obama is acting). Ryan can speak without notes or a teleprompter, if necessary. Obama can't talk to a room of second grade kids without a teleprompter.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »
Clint is a better director than an actor.  That's not news.

Rhetoric is designed to persuade; acting is designed to reveal.  Huge difference.  (Yes, I am speaking from experience.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:31:08 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »
Monkeyleg, your points on making a movie are right in line with my comment on " . . . rehearsal, editing, and retakes . . . "

But I think you're being too kind to Obama.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 02:32:04 PM »
Lying and acting are too different things.  And fortunately most people can tell the difference.  Usually.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 05:41:23 PM »
I still think that Clint delivered his skit exactly as intended  ;)

It takes a lot of skill and practice to make stumbling look that natural  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »
I was amazed that he seemed nervous and a bit inarticulate, but I LOL'd at some of the lines.
I think the message to both R's and D's was that we are the boss and politicians are the employee's - which I'm willing to bet made a few grimaces to both R's and D's
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 10:43:13 PM »
I still think that Clint delivered his skit exactly as intended  ;)

It takes a lot of skill and practice to make stumbling look that natural  :lol:

+1....in fact, what Eastwood did is a basic acting class exercise.....ironic that so many "actors" criticizing him don't seem to remember that part of class....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »
Did he ask "Obama" five questions, or six ...?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »
The entire "discussion with an empty chair" was an amazing bash on Obama, the ultimate empty chair/empty suit.

And the funniest thing, is even the Left/MSM must think it's true enough that they don't dare touch the topic with a ten foot pole. Otherwise they'd be doing a full-court press to bash the analogy used. Making stuff up like it was a "Jim Crow Lynching chair, to be kicked out for a hanging, as secret code for the GOP base." or some such thing...

Oops. I was wrong. "Chair" is now racial code.

http://twitchy.com/2012/08/31/handbook-of-racial-code-words-now-includes-chair-eastwoods-rnc-appearance-dog-whistle/
I promise not to duck.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »
Clint is a better director than an actor.  That's not news.

Clint is not a bad actor.  Like John Wayne, he sort of plays himself in most cases.  He is also getting old and age makes a difference.

I have watched Clint's "speech" or preformance again and I am starting to think Clint did it exactly the way he planned to do it with a little fumbling around.  In part, nobody seemed to know what to expect from him.  What caught people off guard is that he was applying his craft to a political issue when folks were expecting a political speech. The unsteadiness of his speech is just Clint and not necessarily nervousness.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 11:56:23 AM »
I didn't say bad actor, I said better director than actor.  He has made some superb films behind the camera.  He has delivered, as an actor, what is needed and expected.  No small thing that.

Yes, he's getting older, but I agree that he did what he wanted to do at the Convention and that, more importantly, it worked, bigtime.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »
I've spoken to groups the way Eastwood did, but nobody ever said I did a good acting job. ;)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »
Judging by the response from the left and the right I would say he accomplished what he set out to do.

Attacking and denigrating Clint the way the left wing media has isn't going to play well in fly-over country.

It is doubtful he changed many minds but he has voiced opinions that many were thinking but afraid to say.

Assuaging some doubts and emboldening those contemplating a vote for Romney was his goal. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 04:39:33 PM »
Actors should, generally, stay away from politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdpY8UZoxVw
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 05:00:08 PM »
Actors should, generally, stay away from politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdpY8UZoxVw

I'm just surprised anyone from the Baldwin family would be anything but a lib(Alec)tard.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

grampster

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »
Mr. Eastwood is an actor.  He plied his craft very well the other night.   I laughed my ass off and I was laughing even harder watching and listening to all the folks who were totally fooled by him. :rofl: :rofl:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2012, 10:46:15 PM »
Did he ask "Obama" five questions, or six ...?   =|

^^^^^ Who won the innernetz?.....this guy....^^^^^^^

I've spoken to groups the way Eastwood did, but nobody ever said I did a good acting job. ;)

There's a reason for that....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 08:49:41 AM »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »
The curse of political operatives is that they make everything the same. A guy smoothly reading platitudinous codswallop while rotating his head from the left-hand teleprompter to the right-hand teleprompter like clockwork as if he’s at Centre Court watching the world’s slowest Wimbledon rally is a very reductive idea of “professionalism.” Even politicians you’re well disposed to come across as slick bores in that format. Which is by way of saying Clint is too sharp and too crafty not to have known what he was doing.
this is a better stated version of my view.  Everyone is so used to polished smoothness on TV they are often shocked seeing someone speaking normally on TV.  They are also so used to people spilling out a lot of words yet saying absolutely nothing.  iMO, the hysterical reaction to that senate candidate in missouri shows voters really dont want to hear what people actually think.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2012, 11:42:39 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2012, 02:22:32 PM »
"Squint Eastwood"

:lol:

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 06:06:48 PM »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 08:55:19 PM »
In celebration of the new Eastwooding meme:

National Empty Chair Day

O.
M.
G.

Laffin' our butts off over here.

There is some seriously priceless material to be found here (couple of them I shot myself while out for a wildlife spotting drive).

Here's a bunch o' links:

Here's a couple of the more worthy ones:

And my favorite so far:

With this as a close second:

Eastwooding.  We haz it.

:D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:00:56 PM by ArfinGreebly »
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2012, 11:59:14 PM »
Apparently he totally winged it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqzJSbng9ns
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2012, 08:24:30 AM »
Clints local paper interviews him

http://www.pineconearchive.com/120907-1.html