Poll

Will we know the winner Election Day?

Yes
18 (42.9%)
No
24 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: November 07, 2012, 01:35:33 AM

Author Topic: Will We Know Today?  (Read 9252 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Will We Know Today?
« on: November 06, 2012, 01:35:33 AM »
Today is election day (duh).
The big question is will the winner actually be known today or will this mess drag out for weeks to come?

My prediction is that if we are real lucky we might actually get the final results by the 11th of December.

Release the hounds Lawyers!!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
Re: Will We Know Today?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 03:34:03 AM »
I think it depends on how wrong the polls are. If they are still oversampling Dems, there's a good chance of a Romney blowout, and we should know the result by tomorrow. If they're at all accurate, this may be another 2000.  [barf]
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

erictank

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:46:43 AM »
*I* won't - I've got to be in bed by 7-7:30P EST to get up again at 2:30A. But to answer your REAL question, no, we almost certainly won't. Unless Romney picks up enough votes that, say, California doesn't matter (which I just can't see happening), I doubt we'll know until sometime tomorrow.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 06:49:18 AM »
I won't I intend to studiously ignore the election today.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 07:30:45 AM »
^Me too.  I'm sick of holding my nose while I vote.  I think that the only way we'll know is if one of the two cracks 270 easjly. If it's close, the lawyers and judges may choose the next POTUS.  Read last night that there is a decent chance neither will cross 270, so the vote goes to Congress.  The likely result? Romney with Biden as VP!  How about that option?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 07:52:28 AM »
9pm EST.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
I predict it being called early by several outlets for the President in an attempt to dissuade west coast voters.  Then we'll see some retractions as it gets swung around.
I think it will be over today/tomorrow. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 09:23:08 AM »
For many years, ever since Washington pretty much went to absentee voting, some of the close state races are not called for days afterward, while they count all the ballots that trickle in. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 09:33:26 AM »
I predict it being called early by several outlets for the President in an attempt to dissuade west coast voters. 

Sadly, it seems like that's been Standard Operational Procedure for the "forward leaning" MSM outlets regarding Democrat candidates for the last several elections.

It's interesting though, that in my little world of liberals here, yesterday I heard several talking in the hall at work that tomorrow would be "the end of the world as we know it". Seems like even the staunchest libs are worried about today's results.

I think unless one of them clearly gets a clear majority of swing states early on, that this will get ugly and drag out. I also think this election has a good chance of one candidate winning the popular vote, and the other winning the Electoral College (which will really get ugly).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lysander6

• Ragnaroks!
  • Gun Control is Mind Control.
    • ZeroGov
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 09:53:13 AM »
I think the decision will be dragged out because the NJ/NY axis will call foul due to the hurricane and its effects on polling places and voter access.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 09:54:47 AM »
Sadly, it seems like that's been Standard Operational Procedure for the "forward leaning" MSM outlets regarding Democrat candidates for the last several elections.

It's interesting though, that in my little world of liberals here, yesterday I heard several talking in the hall at work that tomorrow would be "the end of the world as we know it". Seems like even the staunchest libs are worried about today's results.

I think unless one of them clearly gets a clear majority of swing states early on, that this will get ugly and drag out. I also think this election has a good chance of one candidate winning the popular vote, and the other winning the Electoral College (which will really get ugly).

Which is proof they are dumber than the average "gotta get rid of Obama" voter.  
I predict a Romney win, and very little noticable change at the individual level.  Slightly better economic outcome for the next few years, a 50/50 chance of Obama care disappearing, and that's about it.  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »
I think the decision will be dragged out because the NJ/NY axis will call foul due to the hurricane and its effects on polling places and voter access.

Yes, that will be an interesting wildcard.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 10:11:22 AM »

They can cry foul. Their electoral votes won't make any difference. It won't drag out the process even if they want to keep voting open till January 1.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »
They can cry foul. Their electoral votes won't make any difference. It won't drag out the process even if they want to keep voting open till January 1.
I'll stay on the confident side and just say that Mitt's electoral numbers will mean those states don't matter in the final count.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 11:06:38 AM »
I think we will learn what most of us knew a long time ago: we are two nations, one growing inside the other like an unwanted pregnancy.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »

They'll go blue anyways, so you think they'll play games?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 11:23:42 AM »
Unless this is a landslide, and probably even then, a whole lot of people are not going to believe or accept the outcome.  Elections don't change cultures, they merely reflect the realities.  One of the realities is the magnitude of the mendacity and manipulation that now constitutes American "public life."
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 11:37:58 AM »
9pm EST.

I think another 2 or 3 hours later.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
Unless this is a landslide, and probably even then, a whole lot of people are not going to believe or accept the outcome.  Elections don't change cultures, they merely reflect the realities.  One of the realities is the magnitude of the mendacity and manipulation that now constitutes American "public life."

That goes both ways.  Lots of "conservatives" refused to believe the legitimacy of the President getting elected. 
JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »
That goes both ways.  Lots of "conservatives" refused to believe the legitimacy of the President getting elected.  

Denial is a rather unsuprising reaction to unpleasant news.

I must, however, point out how long those conservatives wallowed in that denial versus many of the left that still scream about the 2000 election.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »
Iono. There's still lots of birther screaming to this day
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »
Iono. There's still lots of birther screaming to this day

I must be shielded from it in my choice of online reading. So very glad for that. (Ironically, I am better sheilded from the birthers than the "selected not elected!!!1!" crowd.)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »
That goes both ways.  Lots of "conservatives" refused to believe the legitimacy of the President getting elected. 

It does, and what means to me is that we now live in a society where we can't trust much of what is said or published.  That is not a great basis for a free nation or a constitutional republic.  One doubts it will last: either we will get more free and more honest, or we will devolve into complete suppressive tyranny.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
It does, and what means to me is that we now live in a society where we can't trust much of what is said or published.  That is not a great basis for a free nation or a constitutional republic.  One doubts it will last: either we will get more free and more honest, or we will devolve into complete suppressive tyranny.

It says to me that most people don't realize how *expletive deleted*ed the represenatitive democratic republic is as a form of modern government.  Mob elections for mob rule = unsatisfactory results for the remaining 49%.
JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 12:17:43 PM »
It says to me that most people don't realize how *expletive deleted*ed the represenatitive democratic republic is as a form of modern government.  Mob elections for mob rule = unsatisfactory results for the remaining 49%.

Actually, in the long run, it ends in unsatisfactory results for everyone but a very select few. Mob rule always ends in tyranny.