Author Topic: Syria gas attack?  (Read 4982 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Syria gas attack?
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »
Why does someone deploy chemical weapons on their own countrymen?

Because "countrymen" means nothing in the ME.  Tribe means everything.  And the various countries are nothing more then a bunch of tribes throw together (and or divided by political boundaries, See: "Kurds".)

What we're seeing in Syria is not "Civil War", but Tribal War.  Assad's Alawite tribe is and has been a minority in Syria,but retained power because he controlled the (originally Alawite) Army.  Once Syrian tribal leaders saw what happened in Tunsia, Libya, Egypt, they said "Hey, we can take this guy."  So some of the larger tribes banded together and away we go.

What we have now, is several tribes (as the FSA) and some AQ a-holes, fighting Assad's Alawite Army.  The reason they are not doing better is each tribe is fighting for themselves, there is little to no coordination between tribes and you have AQ *expletive deleted*tards trying to bring about Jihad and Caliphate.  If the FSA ever really got it's *expletive deleted* together Assad would be in serious trouble.  However, if the Syrian Army ever gets it *expletive deleted* together the FSA would be in serious trouble.

So I can see both sides using WMD's on each other (and their "Allies"), keep in mind that some/most/all of these WMD's came from Saddam Hussien's Iraq.

Here's better insight about it, surprising from a Non-us source (again):
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/25/syria-tribal-rivalries-shape-future

And yes, the only solution is an Asteroid.  Hopefully, one side to the other has some nukes and set's those off. That will solve a helluva lot of problems.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:25:41 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 01:41:42 PM »
Change it to "get fedguv out of State level law enforcement entirely" and I'll re-endorse you.

Not defending murderers and child rapists, I just see no reason for fedguv to get involved in those crimes unless in the case of murder of elected officials or international sex slavery.

deal
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 01:43:02 PM »
is there any concrete evidence that the WMDs came from saddam (i'd guess around the time he sent the planes over) because that would just be the cats pajamas.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 01:44:53 PM »
How about also something like "Federal Agents have no law enforcement authority on their own unless duly deputized by a State/County/City agency, only for specific investigations, and for limited duration?"

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 02:16:20 PM »
Because "countryman" means nothing in the ME.  Tribe means everything.  And the various countries are nothing more then a bunch of tribes throw together (and or divided by political boundaries, See: "Kurds".)

I know, no matter how much we dislike our government, I like living in the US. Could you imagine if all the German, French or Irish (and other groups) decided to go back to their tribal roots here and act in retribution to everyone. Would the Germans/Brits/French gang up on the Italians, or the Brits/French go after the Danes/Swedes/Finns/Norwegians?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »
I know, no matter how much we dislike our government, I like living in the US. Could you imagine if all the German, French or Irish (and other groups) decided to go back to their tribal roots here and act in retribution to everyone. Would the Germans/Brits/French gang up on the Italians, or the Brits/French go after the Danes/Swedes/Finns/Norwegians?

That is why we are called a melting pot.  Our roots may come from different countries, but we all became Americans.  This is quite different from modern day immigration.  The "tribe" spirit is alive and well living in the many immigrants coming into America now.  Sadly, even blacks are reverting back to the "African-American" tribe.  Every group is against every other group.  We are no longer just Americans, but ____-Americans.  I need that John Wayne "hyphen" speech inserted here.  Politicians and liberals have propagated this, keep us divided and they have easy voter blocks to campaign to.  Conservatives, Liberals, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc, etc....   It's a powder keg waiting to go off. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »
This is EXACTLY the problem with hyphenated Americans, as Theodore Roosevelt put it so eloquently nearly a century ago:
Quote from: Theodore Roosevelt
. . . There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.

This is just as true of the man who puts “native” before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.

But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.

The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English- Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian- Americans, or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality than with the other citizens of the American Republic. . . .

I'm glad there are no groups putting some other nation, continent, or ethnicity ahead of "American" when they describe themselves today - they wouldn't be "Americans" at all.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »

We have football teams for that  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
is there any concrete evidence that the WMDs came from saddam (i'd guess around the time he sent the planes over) because that would just be the cats pajamas.

No, Syria did manufacture it's own, but there is also strong evidence that Saddam Hussein shipped most of his to Syria in 2003 ahead of US Forces invading Iraq.

If' I'd have to bet, I'd say these were Iraqi WMD's that have been used.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »
No, Syria did manufacture it's own, but there is also strong evidence that Saddam Hussein shipped most of his to Syria in 2003 ahead of US Forces invading Iraq.

If' I'd have to bet, I'd say these were Iraqi WMD's that have been used.

Oh come on now Iraq's chemical weapons program that did not exist was purely for peaceful farming purposes...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!