Author Topic: 5th Circuit Puts Kibosh on Texas Voter ID Law  (Read 1013 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
5th Circuit Puts Kibosh on Texas Voter ID Law
« on: July 20, 2016, 11:31:42 PM »
Thanks Obama.

Their arguments was seriously that "low income", black, and hispanic voters (apparently as three separate groups) could not obtain one of the seven options? There were free options. How is that a financial burden?

Maybe it's time for our side to start doing things like getting mail-in ballots for our dogs. I know my dog would make a more informed choice than 50% of the current voting public.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/20/federal-appeals-court-orders-changes-to-texas-voter-id-law.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: 5th Circuit Puts Kibosh on Texas Voter ID Law
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:43:56 AM »
How many of them have ID to cash checks?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:54:02 AM »
How many of them have ID to cash welfare checks?

FTFY.

Of course I guess now all that comes on some kind of credit card type thing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »
FTFY.

Of course I guess now all that comes on some kind of credit card type thing.

Or go to Western Union or WallyWorld to get wire transfers.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 07:57:31 AM »
Hmmm......so financial hardship is enough to strike down the law, even though there are free options.  What are the odds that financial hardship could be used to strike down NFA '34?   I know, the odds are a Eleventy Billion to .000001.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 08:04:18 AM »
Saw an article just yesterday about places in the last election where well over 100 percent of registered votoers "voted" in the election. Possibly not a coincidence that they were all places where voter ID is not required.

I don't get it. I'm 72 years old. I registered to vote as soon as I was eligible. As well as I can recall, I have always been required to show proof of ID when I vote. I don't have any problem with that -- why would I? If I were to show up late in the day and get turned away because somebody else already voted using my name, I'd be pretty upset.

In my town, there's a registrar from each party sitting at a table when voters walk in. We show ID, and each registrar finds the name on a printed list and uses a ruler and a pen to draw a line through that name. Having 115 percent of registered voters vote would be impossible. I find it unconscionable that it's not that way everywhere.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 10:23:24 AM »
Saw an article just yesterday about places in the last election where well over 100 percent of registered votoers "voted" in the election. Possibly not a coincidence that they were all places where voter ID is not required.
Same thing happened in MN during the recounts that handed victory to Al Franken.

It doesn't actually matter who votes.

What matters, is who COUNTS the votes.

Last POTUS election, there were news reports that 59 precincts in, IIRC, Philadelphia voted for Obama over Romney by a margin of 19,605 to 0; nobody voted for Romney even by mistake.

They must have had some of Ferdinand Marcos' voting officials . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 12:15:08 PM »
But but but but but...

Voter fraud has NEVER happened in the US!

NEVER!

Or so all the Facebook memes say.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 08:25:09 PM »
honestly, we need to just start using this *expletive deleted*it against them.

get as many illegals and dead people to vote against hilldawg as possible.

If we have trouble overcoming the margin of fraud, maybe it's time to fight fire with fire.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 08:34:55 PM »

And yet I am required to show ID to buy alcohol, fly on a plane, purchase a firearm, etc. Granted, only purchasing a firearm is a right, but why does that require ID but voting doesn't? Politicians tend to kill significantly more people than your average citizen.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 09:26:21 PM »
And yet I am required to show ID to buy alcohol, fly on a plane, purchase a firearm, etc. Granted, only purchasing a firearm is a right, but why does that require ID but voting doesn't? Politicians tend to kill significantly more people than your average citizen.

Another interesting place(s) that you have to show ID where, while you don't have a God given right to enter, you have a right as a citizen: Most government buildings serving the public.

If I want to interact with the government bureaucracy that my tax dollars pay for, I have to show ID. Either at the front door for security, and/or at whichever office I'm doing business with inside. How is that not the same burdensome discrimination against the poor and whatever other groups?

If I don't have to prove my identity to vote, I don't have to prove my identity to interact with the government I pay for in other ways either.

Also, kind of an analogy --  I went fishing in a National Park last week and showed my annual interagency pass at the gate. They made me show my drivers license as well to prove that the interagency pass was mine. So I had to prove that I was me to get into a National Park, but I don't have to prove I'm me to get my ballot and vote.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."