Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Best pasta sauce ever?

<< < (2/7) > >>

cordex:
Has anyone here actually tried it?

K Frame:
I may give it a whirl this weekend if I'm feeling like being underwhelmed.

zxcvbob:

--- Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 05, 2020, 08:31:46 AM ---I may give it a whirl this weekend if I'm feeling like being underwhelmed.

--- End quote ---

Make it straight the first time, then when [I predict] it sucks, you can fix it -- because it's probably almost good.  Add some black pepper, garlic and oregano, and maybe use a beef bouillon cube instead of the salt.  Oh, and chop up the cooked onion and add it back.  OTOH, maybe it actually is good just like it is, but there is so much hype about it I don't see how.

My tomato soup recipe is based on this recipe but watered down.  The first try, when I followed the recipe exactly was pretty bad but I thought it had potential.  All what it needed to be a decent soup (with a little trial and error) was celery, bouillon, and a just little sugar.  I blend it up with a stick blender, then run it thru a seive to get the remaining celery strings and any tomato skins and seeds out.

K Frame:
You and I are pretty much 100% in agreement of what it likely will need. I can't imagine a tomato sauce without garlic, basil, and oregano. I also can't imagine it without white wine; I always use white wine when I make tomato sauce at home. Alcohol liberates flavor compounds that water and fat won't.

zxcvbob:

--- Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 05, 2020, 09:17:43 AM ---You and I are pretty much 100% in agreement of what it likely will need. I can't imagine a tomato sauce without garlic, basil, and oregano. I also can't imagine it without white wine; I always use white wine when I make tomato sauce at home. Alcohol liberates flavor compounds that water and fat won't.

--- End quote ---

Any reason not to use red wine?  I don't cook w/ wine so I don't know, but I often have a box of Vella burgundy open.  (I'm not going to open any soon; I'm abstaining from alcohol for Lent and don't want a half bottle of wine or an open box to tempt me)

I saw Jamie Oliver cooking some lasagna on TV recently, and he just used fresh sage for the herbs (instead of oregano, basil, thyme, etc)  Might be interesting...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version