Author Topic: Suicide net for the Golden Gate Bridge  (Read 5761 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Suicide net for the Golden Gate Bridge
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 11:34:49 PM »
or implement a 100percent suicide tax, off your self and all your assets are state property. [tinfoil]

as for the "Drunken Chimp community" at least i admit they exist. [popcorn]

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 01:00:57 AM »
1) It is entirely possible to commit suicide while merely attempting to decapitate oneself with a chainsaw. It happened in the Orthodox community a while back.  My father got to help clean up, because he worked for the funeral society.  That one wasn't as nasty as the jumpers.  Apparently, those really are the nastiest.  People just shouldn't be jellified.  It gets real ugly.

2) This concept is stupid.  Life is full of dangerous stuff.  I'm with Jamis; suicide is a choice.  One the taxpayers don't need to spend insane amounts of money trying (and inevitably failing) to prevent.

3) Seriously, is anyone going to not commit suicide because they can't do it on a particular bridge?  At least with the bridge, one is less likely to take bystanders along.  Beats the hell out of suicide by car or by cop, from a social responsibility point of view.

4) Most people who are seriously suicidal are not going to be put off by rotting corpses.  Trust me on this.  There's a neat bit in Girl, Interrupted (yeah, I know, not really APS typical reading material  :lol: ) about the mental process of moving toward suicidality.  It tends to involve a LOT of thinking about death, picturing death, making plans for death, obsessing about death and frequently about being dead.  They ain't pretty thoughts.  

5) While it is entirely possible for suicide to be an act of pure selfishness, it usually isn't.  I've never actually attempted suicide, but I have spend a LOT of time coping with suicidal thoughts and desires.  It is not a good place to be.  A slightly more charitable attitude towards the people who aren't able to resist putting those thoughts and desires into action is warranted.  Really.  What is the point, exactly, of the utterly vicious and mean attitudes of some people towards suicides?  

6) Viciously condemning suicides increases suicide.  If having thoughts about suicide is shameful, then admitting to them for the purpose of getting help is also shameful.  It can be a super-humanly difficult task to cope with severe suicidality alone.  

I don't think that taxpayer funds should be used for the sort of idiocy in the article.  I don't think taxpayer funds should be used for suicide prevention beyond those allocated to mental health, aka keeping the completely nuts off the streets and less of a drain on society.  I do think suicide prevention is an INCREDIBLY valuable place to put charity dollars and volunteer work.  Actually, come to think of it, in these very tight economic times for my family, I think the only significant charity we've given in the past several months went to a suicide prevention organization.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »
Simple solution.
Make suicide legal only duirng parts of the day and night hours.
Only allowed on the outgoing tide.

Sounds like an idea.  A retractable net that retracts on the outgoing tide. 

That brings the question though:  For people who jumped into the net during the other times, should they have a chance to change their mind or just be held and dropped when the tide goes out?   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 11:22:31 AM »

5) While it is entirely possible for suicide to be an act of pure selfishness, it usually isn't.  I've never actually attempted suicide, but I have spend a LOT of time coping with suicidal thoughts and desires.  It is not a good place to be.  A slightly more charitable attitude towards the people who aren't able to resist putting those thoughts and desires into action is warranted.  Really.  What is the point, exactly, of the utterly vicious and mean attitudes of some people towards suicides?  

Laughing at death maybe?  There but for the Grace of God go I? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 01:01:14 PM »
I recall reading a study of survivors who had jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge. If I recall correctly, a substantial number of them, if not the majority, changed their minds about suicide about halfway down.

We have a tall suspension bridge up here over the Tacoma Narrows, and we get a few jumpers every year as well.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 06:23:03 PM »
Now it will just take a little longer. First jump into the net and then crawl to the edge of the net and jump again. What are they going to do, put nets every 20 feet to the water?  ;/

bob

My first thought exactly.

24 people in one year? I guess that's a "high point," so to speak. So perhaps 200 people over ten years? $45 million divided by 200 comes to $225,000 per person "saved" -- and that's assuming they don't break their neck by diving into the net head-first, or do as suggested above and simply crawl to the edge of the net and jump off that.

If someone wants to die badly enough to do a swan dive (or a half gainer) off the Golden gate bridge, why should society ante up $225,000 to stop them? It just means the next try they'll jump out in front of a train.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 07:50:37 PM »
why should society ante up $225,000 to stop them? It just means the next try they'll jump out in front of a train.

Or just drive 30 minutes or so to the other side of SF and jump off of the Bay Bridge. You can still get a nice view of San Francisco on the way down.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/tollbridge/SFOBB/Sfobbfacts.html

bob

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
We have a tall suspension bridge up here over the Tacoma Narrows, and we get a few jumpers every year as well.
Are they jumpers or are they just getting bucked off on windy days? ;)
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 09:51:20 AM »
Are they jumpers or are they just getting bucked off on windy days? ;)

Anyone willing to walk across that bridge on a windy day would HAVE to be suicidal.
Look, tiny text!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 10:16:53 AM »
I have had to actually walk my bicycle across the Narrows bridge because it was so windy, I had real concerns about being blown over. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 12:26:43 PM »
Being that it's San Francisco, I'd be inclined to put up a moving sidewalk with the end well out over the bay . . . and a sign at the entrance reading something along the lines of "Boxer/Feinstein/Obama Meet & Greet - FREE ADMISSION!" at the entrance.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 05:15:22 PM »
Or just drive 30 minutes or so to the other side of SF and jump off of the Bay Bridge. You can still get a nice view of San Francisco on the way down.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/tollbridge/SFOBB/Sfobbfacts.html

Pedestrians aren't allowed on the Bay Bridge.  There are also relatively few jumpers from that bridge.  Coincidence?

Banning pedestrians from the Golden Gate would be a lot cheaper than building the net, but won't happen for political reasons.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 10:02:54 PM »
Hmm. Nobody has considered a tall inward sloping fence like they put on the Empire State Building yet, have they?