Author Topic: *$%&^!@ Wasps!  (Read 2512 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
*$%&^!@ Wasps!
« on: July 21, 2020, 03:05:45 PM »
Gall dang, man. I was moving my wheel line this morning and a kamikaze wasp came out of nowhere, flew straight into my ear, and stung me. And I don't mean on my ear, I mean IN my ear. Holy hell did that hurt. Within a minute, the entire left side of my head and face was burning and throbbing.  I was dancing around in the middle of my alfalfa field and cussing up a storm like a Trailer Park Boy.  :laugh:

It's three hours later, and the pain is only now subsiding. I've been stung on the hands, arms, even neck before, but none of them hurt like this.

Burn in hell forever, wasps.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: *$%&^!@ Wasps!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 03:51:41 PM »
Yep.  Got one down my shirt at about 30 MPH on my motorcycle once, which ticked him/her/it off no end.

Multiple stings, damned near drove into a bridge support, natural tendency is to swat with one's front brake hand, and et ceteraness. Kept shirt buttoned all the way after that.

I kept his/her/its remains in a pill bottle for a couple of years, but I don't know where it is nowadays.

It looked like I had five nipples for a couple of days.

But in your meatus acusticus like, wow, man.  I can't say I feel your pain, but I agree with your final assessment.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 04:06:44 PM »
I got nailed by one a year or two ago.  I was just walking around near my garden, and this wasp came off a nest like 10 feet away and nailed me in the head.

I was so pissed off, I immediately drove down the street and got a big can of wasp spray, and went on a wasp murdering rampage.  Wasps are the worst, may they all die in a fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 04:08:59 PM »
Wasps are the worst, may they all die in a fire.

With yellowjackets and hornets a close second.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 04:13:11 PM »
With yellowjackets and hornets a close second.

That entire group of stinging insects can just rot in hell. If I get stung by a bee, it usually means  I was at least partially at fault through not paying attention and irritating them in some way. Wasps, etc. are just plain aholes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 04:34:06 PM »
There SHOULD be a way to harness wasp & hornet's natural nastiness and put it to work against the violent ANTIFA and BLM gatherings we've been seeing lately . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 05:18:15 PM »
I had one zap me behind the ear once, right down in the fold. Hurt like hell.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 05:22:52 PM »
There SHOULD be a way to harness wasp & hornet's natural nastiness and put it to work against the violent ANTIFA and BLM gatherings we've been seeing lately . . .  >:D

Blue-skying on that, I figure you could capture a nest at night and trebuchet it into their midst. Only trouble with that is you'd probably affect non-target species.  Like everyone else around them.  Oh, and you'd be accused of using biological weapons.

But a delightful thought anyhow.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 05:54:58 PM »
If a fellow had enough bee hives that a few hundred from each hive wouldn't be a big loss  you could make one hell of a bee bomb.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 06:07:46 PM »
Running around here on the cart for years I have at least one a year get behind my glasses. I'm still not sure how I haven't been stung in the eye yet.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 06:13:38 PM »
Running around here on the cart for years I have at least one a year get behind my glasses. I'm still not sure how I haven't been stung in the eye yet.

Got stung in the eye by a wasp when I was a kid
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 06:16:46 PM »
I think the eye would be 10X worse than the ear.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 08:22:41 PM »
If a fellow had enough bee hives that a few hundred from each hive wouldn't be a big loss  you could make one hell of a bee bomb.
 =D
My brother has been getting into bees.  He has started 4 or 5 hives.  Still on the small side. 

I was at the range this afternoon.  Some wasps were buzzing around the area I intended to shoot from so I decided to move.  I couldn't find where where they had a nest, but I figure it was somewhere nearby.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 11:01:09 PM »
Sting in the ear is the worst thing I've heard lately,  that sucks man.  Reading about that causes sympathy pain,  like hearing about a deliberate paper cut.

If we're doing one-upsman stories of stinging insect retribution, here's mine.

Long ago,  I was clearing our property of scrub in a medium sized excavator.  There was  a lot to do,  and this was my weekend/evening catharsis.  There was almost always alcohol.

So one friday night,  I'm in the machine,  minding my own business ripping scrub and WHAM,  a sting.  Then another,  and another.  At that point I bail out and start stripping my shirt off on the run.  The hornets aren't letting up and are now going after my dog.  We run 200 ish yards to the house, with me swatting them frantically off me and the mutt.  I clear us of bugs and regroup.  Get another drink,  and start planning my vengeance...

TLDR, Got extra layers of clothes, goggles and gloves.  Mixed up a can of diesel with a bit of gas, and grabbed a road flare.  Made it to the machine, drove it back while getting dive bombed by hornets,  changed the bucket for a grader ( no drain holes).  Dump volatile mix into said bucket,  and button the machine up tight.  Roll up to ground hornet nest with pissed off bugs pinging off the cab windows,  and dump 5 gallons of nasty on their stupid nest.  Haul ass away.  Then strike the flare and pitch that sumbitch...  Muted "woosh",  and no more ground hornets.

No kill like overkill.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 11:27:25 PM »
That's the way to do it.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 10:49:05 AM »
Sting in the ear is the worst thing I've heard lately,  that sucks man.  Reading about that causes sympathy pain,  like hearing about a deliberate paper cut.

If we're doing one-upsman stories of stinging insect retribution, here's mine.

Long ago,  I was clearing our property of scrub in a medium sized excavator.  There was  a lot to do,  and this was my weekend/evening catharsis.  There was almost always alcohol.

So one friday night,  I'm in the machine,  minding my own business ripping scrub and WHAM,  a sting.  Then another,  and another.  At that point I bail out and start stripping my shirt off on the run.  The hornets aren't letting up and are now going after my dog.  We run 200 ish yards to the house, with me swatting them frantically off me and the mutt.  I clear us of bugs and regroup.  Get another drink,  and start planning my vengeance...

TLDR, Got extra layers of clothes, goggles and gloves.  Mixed up a can of diesel with a bit of gas, and grabbed a road flare.  Made it to the machine, drove it back while getting dive bombed by hornets,  changed the bucket for a grader ( no drain holes).  Dump volatile mix into said bucket,  and button the machine up tight.  Roll up to ground hornet nest with pissed off bugs pinging off the cab windows,  and dump 5 gallons of nasty on their stupid nest.  Haul ass away.  Then strike the flare and pitch that sumbitch...  Muted "woosh",  and no more ground hornets.

No kill like overkill.

:mad:  I wanted it to be DETCORD!!!   ........ [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 11:44:48 AM »

:mad:  I wanted it to be DETCORD!!!   ........ [tinfoil]

Eh... quasi-napalm is just as gratifying.  :laugh:

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 12:47:56 PM »
Pro Tip:  Use an aspirin poultice right away.  I takes the sting right out.  We keep a small marble mortar and pestle with cheap aspirin crushed in it at all times in the summer.  If you don't have that, grab an aspirin, wet it, and hold it on the sting.  Has to be within a few minutes of the sting to be effective.

Another pro tip: Arnica gel.  The stuff is magic on bug bites.  I get it at a health foods store.  Large tube for about $15.  It's made with Arnica flowers, so you can feel all warm and fuzzy about using natural vegan remedies.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 12:59:59 PM »
I think the eye would be 10X worse than the ear.

I don't know about 10x but it hurt like a.....
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2023, 11:49:05 AM »
Well, first wasp sting of the season this morning. Another freakin' kamikaze wasp. Out in the middle of a pasture, no place around for a nest, and he dive bombs me out of nowhere, right in the back of the neck. I started carrying some "sting-ease" wipes in the SxS IFAK, and used one for the first time for this bite. It actually helped a lot. That throbbing pain part only lasted a few minutes, instead of like 10-15 minutes.

&%*%^$*@! wasps.

EDIT: And I just noticed that my OP here was posted on 21JUL, and this post is 22JUL. I guess I know which week of the year that I have to start being careful.  :laugh:

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2023, 12:05:02 PM »
I am not sure on the difference between hornets, wasps, and yellow jackets. We have the type that make the gray roundish nests stuck to the underside or house eves, and the ground dwelling type. The ground nester's seem more aggressive, and they seem to be moving into other accommodations lately.

Some moved into a birdhouse and took it over, filled the whole thing- unfortunately for them, it was on a garden fence post .
I was trying to figure out how best to deal with them, normally I would use a shop vac but it was 8' in the air and the risk of escapees was high. So I got up before dawn, moved a step ladder over and dumped an entire can of spray into the 1 1/2" entrance hole- and the little *expletive deleted*ers were still boiling out! But not for long.

Pulled up to the store the other day, took off my leather, and felt this bad pain in back- WTF? Did I just pull a tendon?
Later found the sting site, no sign of a wasp and no idea how it got inside the jacket that far back without stinging somewhere else as well.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2023, 07:30:37 AM »
Did you do a dance this time? :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2023, 07:59:36 AM »
Did you do a dance this time? :rofl:

No, this time I just stood there, looked up at the heavens, and asked, "Why?"  :laugh:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2023, 11:50:03 AM »
No, this time I just stood there, looked up at the heavens, and asked, "Why?"  :laugh:

And the answer (at which point you know you're screwed...)

WELL WHY THE HELL NOT?

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2023, 11:08:57 PM »
I am not sure on the difference between hornets, wasps, and yellow jackets. We have the type that make the gray roundish nests stuck to the underside or house eves, and the ground dwelling type. The ground nester's seem more aggressive, and they seem to be moving into other accommodations lately.

Some moved into a birdhouse and took it over, filled the whole thing- unfortunately for them, it was on a garden fence post .
I was trying to figure out how best to deal with them, normally I would use a shop vac but it was 8' in the air and the risk of escapees was high. So I got up before dawn, moved a step ladder over and dumped an entire can of spray into the 1 1/2" entrance hole- and the little *expletive deleted*ers were still boiling out! But not for long.

Pulled up to the store the other day, took off my leather, and felt this bad pain in back- WTF? Did I just pull a tendon?
Later found the sting site, no sign of a wasp and no idea how it got inside the jacket that far back without stinging somewhere else as well.
On stuff like the bird house, I wonder if it would make a difference just to fill the house with insulation foam.  I guess the spray is cheaper and easier to clean out.  The sprays that foam up decently would work ok for a situation like that.  Other than that, maybe just set up a bug bomb on a ladder right out front? 

...or just set up a fire under the bird house. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge