Author Topic: On Pronouncing Place Names  (Read 2181 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: On Pronouncing Place Names
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 10:58:23 PM »
Fistful it is pronounced misery.

Fistful or the state?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2020, 11:08:49 PM »
Drive through a small city going to and from work every day.  Pataskala.  Most say "puh TAS kuh luh".  Some say "PAY task ala"

Taking a chance at a question here... Do you know of or have you heard of Massey's Pizza?  Does it still exist?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2020, 11:23:51 PM »
Hah.  Yooz gyz should look up the names of places in Michigan (Mishgun)  There are too many to list. I'll give you one or two or three...Mackinac...Ypsilanti...Charlotte.  Oh heck...Onekama, Tahquamenon, Muskallonge, and an easy one Pine Stump Junction.

I hadn't heard of the Pine Stump tribe.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2020, 11:37:25 PM »
Try Puyallup, Sequim or Issaquah, all in WA.  In USMC NCO school many years ago I had to give a speech to graduate.  I gave it on place names in Washington State.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2020, 11:40:12 AM »
Sometimes the locals just mispronounce things. There's no need to go along with them. And, no, not everyone in Missour-ee calls it Missour-uh. That would be dumb. 

Misery.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2020, 12:25:27 PM »
Pueblo CO.   About half of the residents pronounce it "Pee-eblow" and the lazier ones say "Peblo".  It's actually Pweh-blow.

We have about 50% Hispanic residents.  It's hilarious when someone is trying to say, hand out diplomas if they're not used to Spanish pronunciation.  It's not "Vigil", it's "Vee-hill".  It's not "Martin-ezz", it's "Martee-nez".

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2020, 07:33:34 PM »

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2020, 07:35:10 PM »

Not this week, though. We've been having highs in the 70s or low 80s, and no more of those monsoon rains of the past few weeks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2020, 07:36:52 PM »
Pueblo CO.   About half of the residents pronounce it "Pee-eblow" and the lazier ones say "Peblo". 

Pee-eblow? How does anyone get "pee" out of "Pue-"?   ???

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2020, 07:56:25 PM »
And don't they remember the Consumer Information Catalog ads from the 70's or maybe it was 80's?  Pueblo, Colorado 81009
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »
And don't they remember the Consumer Information Catalog ads from the 70's or maybe it was 80's?  Pueblo, Colorado, 81009

:lol:  I remember watching some kids show from Canada, and wondering why they pronounced the letter Z as "zed."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2020, 08:48:18 AM »
And don't they remember the Consumer Information Catalog ads from the 70's or maybe it was 80's?  Pueblo, Colorado 81009

That is burnt into my memory.

Still around too in both on-line and printed formats https://pueblo.gpo.gov/Publications/PuebloPubs.php
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2020, 10:00:13 AM »
:lol:  I remember watching some kids show from Canada, and wondering why they pronounced the letter Z as "zed."

I hang out with so many furriners my brain thinks zed is the correct pronunciation. The other day on the phone I was dictating some account number to a robo-customer service agent, and I accidentally said zed. It worked fine. So they must program it to work either way  Next time I'm going to try the NATO spelling alphabet.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine