Author Topic: No Olympics for Chicago!  (Read 10580 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: No Olympics for Chicago!
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »
Daley has been quoted as saying that hosting the Olympics would allow him to displace his low-income housing demographics north to Madison and Milwaukee.

And I have not a shred of doubt that Gov Doyle would do everything in his power to accomodate Daley's plan- hell he'd even build a railway system to move them in faster.. :mad:

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OTNiMjBjMWI5OTdkNDliMTcwMmUwZmI3NTM0ZDcxYTc=

Top 10 Reasons Chicago Didn't Get the Olympics 

10. Dead people can't vote at IOC meetings

9. Obama distracted by 25 min meeting with Gen. McChrystal

8. Who cares if Obama couldn't talk the IOC into Chicago? He'll be able to talk Iran out of nukes.

7. The impediment is Israel still building settlements.

6. Obviously no president would have been able to acomplish it.

5. We've been quite clear and said all along that we didn't want the Olympics.

4. This isn't about the number of Olympics "lost", it's about the number of Olympics "saved" or "created".

3. Clearly not enough wise Latina judges on the committee

2. Because the IOC is racist.

1. It's George Bush's fault.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 05:55:58 PM »
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OTNiMjBjMWI5OTdkNDliMTcwMmUwZmI3NTM0ZDcxYTc=

Top 10 Reasons Chicago Didn't Get the Olympics 

10. Dead people can't vote at IOC meetings

9. Obama distracted by 25 min meeting with Gen. McChrystal

8. Who cares if Obama couldn't talk the IOC into Chicago? He'll be able to talk Iran out of nukes.

7. The impediment is Israel still building settlements.

6. Obviously no president would have been able to acomplish it.

5. We've been quite clear and said all along that we didn't want the Olympics.

4. This isn't about the number of Olympics "lost", it's about the number of Olympics "saved" or "created".

3. Clearly not enough wise Latina judges on the committee

2. Because the IOC is racist.

1. It's George Bush's fault.

While that is an excellent list, number 2 will not be very prominent.  After all, the Left-Wing EstablishmentTM won't be so unkind as to frivolously ascribe racism to an international body (at least not very much). 

That sort of abuse is reserved for their fellow Americans. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 06:01:51 PM »
I am as stunned by this as anyone.  I just can't imagine anyone wanting to spend their summer in Rio, instead of Chicago. 

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 06:02:47 PM »
I am as stunned by this as anyone.  I just can't imagine anyone wanting to spend their summer in Rio, instead of Chicago. 
You've obviously never heard of Mark Sanford.  =D

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 06:11:08 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen,

We have a stark pattern here.  President Obama habitually places himself in situations where he has no plan B, no bailout, no alternatives.  He walks into situations where he can not shed blame or make excuses. 

Latest example is wading into the Olympic site selection.  Why did he go? Did he not have a 10 pound political brain in the WH who accurately assessed the situation?  Or did he know it was iffy and he thought he could salvage the gig for Chicago.  In any case he just suffered a major loss of face (as our Chinese brethren would express it).  He put his prestige on the line as well as that of his wife, Oprah, and even the US.  Not only did he lose it was in in-your-face lost because of his presence just before the announcement.  I am as cynical as the next guy but this stunt has me shaking my head.  Is the president that deluded about his own abilities.  Does this guy ever consider his humaniss and the high likelihood of failure at some point.  He strikes me as a guy who want to become a high wire performer but doesn't want to put in the time training (and also endure implicit failure that training implies).

What happened tells me we as a country have considerable cause to be verrwy verrwy afraid in all things foreign policy.

Just amazing!
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 06:49:19 PM »
Is barry already the most inept president since Carter ?

Congratulations to Rio, though.  That is going to be one fantastic festival.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 06:50:15 PM »
If I remember correctly, there are over a dozen shooting events in the Summer Olympics.

HOW would this be allowed in "Daleyville on the Lake?"

Anyway, I understand they were planning to bulldoze CITY BLOCKS full of homes & apartments where people live, in order to make way for Olympic venues . . . I suspect it would have gotten ugly.

And of course . . . with literally BILLIONS being sunk into the project, graft, kickbacks, and payola levels would have been obscene, even by the corrupt standards that have become the norm in the Windy City.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 07:28:19 PM »
What a trio of asses, they totally embarrassed the rest of us  ;/

Friggin' Oprah, yea, that's who we want to represent us to the rest of the world. Just goes to prove no matter how much fame and fortune you have you can still be a LOSER!

I think a new tee shirt is in order, it should say, "I didn't vote for him"
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 07:30:15 PM »
Or did he know it was iffy and he thought he could salvage the gig for Chicago.  Is the president that deluded about his own abilities. 

Yes.  He thought he had the star-power with "the world community" to pull this off.  I'm not so sure he any longer understands the concept of "looking stupid," or "losing face."  He's had his ego petted so long, so hard, he may think he's indestructible.

We have a stark pattern here.  President Obama habitually places himself in situations where he has no plan B, no bailout, no alternatives.  He walks into situations where he can not shed blame or make excuses.

What other situations are you thinking of? 

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 08:59:47 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 09:41:08 PM »
What happened tells me we as a country have considerable cause to be verrwy verrwy afraid in all things foreign policy.

Fixed it for ya ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 10:34:34 PM »
In the words of Flounder (as best as I can recall)

"Oh boy, oh boy, this is great !"    =D

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 10:58:55 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2009, 12:41:27 AM »
You've obviously never heard of Mark Sanford.  =D
Um, not to quibble, but Sanford' chica was from Argentina.

As for Chicago and the no-go, I'm wondering if Obama is starting to think the rest of the world might feel about him the way a butt load of Americans do.  The CNN guy is a perfect example.  He was flabbergasted.  There was no way that Chicago could lose with the Obamessiah in their corner actively pulling for them.  It just ain't right.  There was no way Chicago could lose.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2009, 03:51:50 AM »
Chicago hosting the Olympics? A crime ridden, corrupt congested urban wasteland that lacks culture and class (well the Chicago symphony is good) and whose whole raison d'etre is trying to be like New York...

Pass....who goes to Chicago anyway?

Note: I see we have an Arsenal fan in the house: Its time to chant, for all you footie lovers out there.....

If I had the wings of a sparrow,

If I had the arse of a crow,

I'd fly over Arsenal Tomorrow,

And s**t on the bastards below, below,

S**t on the bastards below.....

Yid army,

Yid army,

Yid army,

I    -    O    I    -    O

We are the Tottenham boys

I    -    O    I    -    O

We are the Tottenham boys

And if you are a Arsenal fan

Surrender or you'll die

Cos we all follow the Tottenham

Note: I take my footie seriously...despite my fatness and age, Im going to England to attend a Millwall match (No one Likes us, we dont care) and I'm going to riot and get banned for life =D

Eat it Gunners! Your manager is a Frog!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:59:04 AM by Wildalaska »
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2009, 07:43:53 AM »

That's what Indiana is for.  Heck even Oprah buys her guns here.  Oprah still has her place in Michigan City, maybe she could let the IOC use her place in Indiana. =D

All the bigwigs in Chicago all have residences in Indiana and Wisconsin.  It's where they buy their guns.  Oh, except for Daley who gets his guns in Michigan.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2009, 09:29:10 AM »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2009, 12:12:09 PM »
Wait wait wait.

Why would anybody even want the Olympics? I mean, isn't the taxpayer cost of  hosting them usually far greater than the supposed increase in revenues?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2009, 01:59:45 PM »
Wait wait wait.

Why would anybody even want the Olympics? I mean, isn't the taxpayer cost of  hosting them usually far greater than the supposed increase in revenues?

Graft, kickbacks, etc.   Sure the taxpayer gets soaked, but plenty of money goes into certain pockets.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2009, 03:58:19 PM »
Graft, kickbacks, etc.   Sure the taxpayer gets soaked, but plenty of money goes into certain pockets.

Exactly. My family who are in Illinois are overjoyed they won't be soaked for this.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2009, 05:32:13 PM »

Michelle Malkin did an in-depth look at the people who would benefit financially from having the Olympics in Chicago. A lot of friends of Obama bought ghetto property on the chance they could flip it for high-dollar Olympic villages.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »
If I remember correctly, there are over a dozen shooting events in the Summer Olympics.

The 17 shooting events were orignally to be held at the Aurora Sportsmen's Club in Waterman
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2009, 06:21:12 PM »

Obviously; what I am not sure about is why would ordinary people, who're not in on the soaking, want this.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2009, 06:50:46 PM »
Obviously; what I am not sure about is why would ordinary people, who're not in on the soaking, want this.

For the most part, they don't.  The only 'ordinary' people who want this are those who don't mind getting soaked by the .gov.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth