Author Topic: jfruser's Ugly Shotgun  (Read 10594 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
jfruser's Ugly Shotgun
« on: December 12, 2009, 03:56:50 PM »
Howdy:

You may have seen uglier, but I bet you haven't seen a shotgun this kind of ugly.

I have had a hankering for a truck/trunk long gun, but wanted to minimize the "long," as it pertains to how it resided in my vehicle.  I have been thinking about ths for a while and I settled for a pump shotgun, as I figured it would be the cheapest and serve any an all purposes inside its slug range.  But, even a 18" bbl shotgun I thought too long, as I wanted it to be out of the way and also come along family trips wihtout taking up luggage space.  So, a folding stock was indicated, preferably one with recoil reduction a la Knoxx.

And, since I am really a semi-auto man when it comes to shotguns, only the shotgun with the reputation as smoothest would do: Rem 870 Wingmaster. Oh, I also wanted it cheap.

I even went so far as to ask advice from the rogues and ne'er-do-wells at http://www.armedpolitesociety.com.

Anyways, fellow APSer Avenger29 told me he had an older Knoxx Cop Stock he was no longer using & was willing to sell.  I then had to admit I had no actual pump shotgun, for all my querying and pontificating.  A29 then got devious and let the matter lie, not PMing or mentioning it in any way.  Well, A29's wily selling technique (complete silence and lack of badgering) finally broke through my defenses and I bit. 

So: There I was!

A man with (or nearly "with," since A29 & I were doing this via mail) an accessory for which I had no gun.  I did what any reasonable gunny would do and set off to buy a Rem 870.

I found these puppies:
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/870_Riot_LLW.html
about five minutes before A29 suggested them.  Great minds & all...

Now, the ad photo truly does not do them justice.  When I first saw it in the flesh at my favorite FFL transferor (sportingarms.com), she asked, "Oh, you're the one who bought the pink shotgun." I thought knowing it had orange furniture was bracing enough.

Pink? Huh?

Well, if pressed, I'd have to say it is more of a "peach" than pink.  It surely originally was orange, but UV, use, solvents, etc. have had their way with the plastic and it has lightened up some.  The ad photo and my following photos are a bit to "rich," color-wise.  In the flesh, it is not as deeply orange.  More peach. But not pink.

The PD where these things came from need a little primer in weapons maintenance.  OK, I'll allow for not cleaning it the last time it was fored (a lot).  But, letting the mag tube, mt spring, and receiver get rust is something that ought to be noticed by leadersip and dealt with accordingly.

To sum up, this is one ugly hunk of metal & plastic.  I will have NO worries using this weapon hard.

Anyways, for the price, it is a smooth weapon.  Even bone dry, dirty, and with funk in the trigger mechanism, it was smoother than my neighbor's Mossberg 500 after he has put 1000 rounds though his.

I currently have it disassembled and washed off all of it with low-odor mineral spirits(1) while geting after it ith a bronze brush.  The trigger group is sitting and soaking in mineral spirits.  After it soaks for a couple days (really gunky] I'll re-assemble it with the Cop Stock, lube it with synthetic motor oil, and see how it looks.  In the days to come I'll take it to the range and see how it performs.

Links to Photos:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ifsRjdJE1Jg/SyPyceXpHuI/AAAAAAAAAQc/vBFN6R4NVMU/s800/rem870_ugly_right.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ifsRjdJE1Jg/SyPycoHQraI/AAAAAAAAAQg/8uUZ1jfO7_g/s800/rem870_ugly_left.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ifsRjdJE1Jg/SyPycta_ghI/AAAAAAAAAQk/1bQCvrjxvK8/s800/rem870_ugly_rec_right.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ifsRjdJE1Jg/SyPydBgEH_I/AAAAAAAAAQo/r5twKJlYqL4/s800/rem870_ugly_rec_left.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ifsRjdJE1Jg/SyPydIQhgrI/AAAAAAAAAQs/5MZGKedU6Nw/s800/rem870_ugly_rec_tube_left.jpg
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ifsRjdJE1Jg/SyPyhoepPqI/AAAAAAAAAQw/SUDdYNqIJ7A/s800/rem870_ugly_mag_tube_left.jpg

(1) My preferred "new, nasty gun cleaner solvent."  Cuts all the oil, cosmo, powder & plastic fouling, but i not too aggressive.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: jfruser's Ugly Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »
Ye gads!

"Fugly" with attitude.

And the stock/pump make it almost seem like an airsoft toy.

Will you tacky-tickle it up with a non-pink, black synthetic stock and pump handle?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »

The color of the wood reminds me of the Chicom SKS, and not in a good way.

:P
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 04:43:30 PM »
I like it.

Does that make me strange?   ???

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 05:05:15 PM »
Reminds me I need to take another stab at getting my old JC Higgins/High Standard fixed and assembled.  It's kind of beat up looking like that one.

If I was going to do deliberately ugly, I'd be doing Saiga + the cheapest folding stock I could find.  Bob the barrel back to legal limit.  Add Krylon.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 05:17:42 PM »
i kinda like it too, cause you can drop it in mud and it would come out looking just as good.   =D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 05:50:25 PM »
I've got an old Steven's Favority 12 guage which has metal wear that is much worse.  That stock looks a lot better though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »
I like it too...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »

Lordy, lordy, that's an ugly piece.  Keep it away from children, lest it blind them for life.

But I am glad you bought your first "kinda sorta peachish pink" gun.  Congrads!

Maybe something slightly less ugly next time, yes?

=D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 07:18:48 PM »
I kind of get a kick out of it.  =)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 07:30:42 PM »
Don't forget the STP, I got guys here who swear by the stuff.  =D

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 08:08:47 PM »
It needs some Halloween stickers to complete it.   ;)
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 08:21:16 PM »
i kinda like it too, cause you can drop it in mud and it would come out looking just as good better.   =D

FTFY  =D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »
My nefarious plans for the ugly duckling:

1. Finish cleaning it up.
Any idea as to what I ought to to use to get after the rust pits  and surface rust?

2. Install Knoxx Cop Stock.

3. Rough up forearm with sandpaper, clean & degrease it, slap some skateboard grip tape on it, and paint it flat black.

4. Install tritium bead over bead, likely one of the AO glue-on-top-the bead dealies.

Some other options floating around in my noggin:

1. Grind a flat on the bottom of the forearm.  Install very short picatinny rail with industrial adhesive.  Drill & tap screw holes if absolutely necessary.  Slap Streamlight TLR-1 on it.

2. Install a +2 mag extension and bbl/extension clamp

3. Drill & tap receiver for a ghost ring sight

I'll have a Speed Feed 870 butt stock up for grabs with a very good recoil pad if someone wants it. 

Heck, I'll trade the complete SF stock and forearm for just a cop/LEO/short forearm.  Synthetic, wood, whatever.  It's not like this thing could get any uglier.

Aren't SF stocks supposed to be the shinola?  This one is much stouter than any synthetic Rem Express stock or Mossy synthetic I have touched.

And, you'll have the pride of ownership tat comes with having the most unique shotgun in your state.  Gay-run-teed.

I'm kind looking forward to trying my hand at drilling & tapping, & modifying this in a cheap fashion. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 08:44:17 PM »
I've heard steel wool works well for surface rust; never had to do it myself, though (one of the benefits of living in a desert).

Don't know what you can do about pits.  It's missing metal, so the only way I can think of how you can "fix" it is either somehow fill them in, or simply leave it as it is and make sure you get all the rust out.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 08:50:30 PM »
Oh, I don't expect to make it purty, just get the rust out so it doesn;t rust more.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »
Replace that nasty pink foregrip with a black corncob, that would balance nicely with the knoxx folder, too.
I found one at the last gunshow I went to for my 500 that takes a screw on rail.  Think I paid $16 for it.

Here's one for $31 that takes a rail.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »
Replace that nasty pink foregrip with a black corncob, that would balance nicely with the knoxx folder, too.

Peach, not pink.  :laugh:

And yes, it is nasty.

Hmm, I that linked forearm is a great idea.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Crow1108

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 07:52:25 AM »
If it was more pink, I'd be inclined to call it salmon colored instead =D

Definitely peachish orange.

Maybe for the metal wear, you could get some alumahyde from brownells. I think it would look cool with a black stock, forearm, and alumahyde's ruger grey metal, but it's your baby, so do with her as you please.
"I work in the back. I see no smiles."--"Bruce Allmighty"

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 09:13:54 AM »
At this point, I want it cleaned up & functional.

Maybe later get after the cosmetic, though a good refinish helps rust resistance.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 09:23:15 AM »
It needs a KalashniKitty sticker. Just until you start decking it out...  =D

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 05:12:58 PM »
I just got a light for $40 at the gun show for my Mossberg.  Mounted under the forend, its easy to flip on and bright enough to illuminate the crackhead right before he eats a rifled slug.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 05:16:17 PM »
I just got a light for $40 at the gun show for my Mossberg.  Mounted under the forend, its easy to flip on and bright enough to illuminate the crackhead right before he eats a rifled slug.

Might wanna run a few boxes of slugs through that before you bet on it. I've seen a lot of those cheap tacky cool accessories bite it when someone actually tries to use them.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 05:49:39 PM »
Might wanna run a few boxes of slugs through that before you bet on it. I've seen a lot of those cheap tacky cool accessories bite it when someone actually tries to use them.

My go-to weapon light is the Streamlight TLR-1.  I can get it online for ~$100.  Slugs don't bother it as far as I have seen.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 05:56:47 PM »
I defintely intend to.  Mounted it up anyways.

It's designed for pistols.  But I didn't care  :laugh:  Ugly is as ugly does.

Die, crackhead, DIE!

JD