Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Brrrr
« on: December 17, 2006, 08:19:41 AM »
Snowing like mad here in Utah right now
 sad
I just shoveled 4" out of the drive, and its still coming down.
Man, I hate snow.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Brrrr
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 08:26:46 AM »
I haven't seen a good snow in 10+ years.

Send some o' that stuff down this way, if you please. smiley
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

SomeKid

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 08:29:13 AM »
Wow, must suck to be you. Here where I am, it is 70. (Tennessee.)

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 10:53:12 AM »
Huh. 2 weeks or so ago it snowed here. Today it's up to 81, last I checked. Lots of folks were out earlier in shorts.

Texas really does have 4 seasons- December, January, February and Hell.  We're just transitioning right now. It's probably warmer than usual because of the Bush Conspiracy to generate those sunspots that are causing everyone to be distracted from the True Cause of Glaobal Warming (tm).

Ain't it good to be retired, though? Cheesy

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 11:11:52 AM »
Being retired rocks!
 grin

We're up to about 6 or so inches total, about 2" yesterday, 4+ today.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 12:23:16 PM »
Enjoy it while you can.  It was 67 today. 

When I went biking this morning at 8:30am, it was 35.  Less than two hours later, it was 45.  While shooting skeet/trap this afternoon, it topped out around 67.

Chris

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 01:21:11 PM »
Only four inches? That's a dusting of snow here in WI.

We've been lucky so far, though. We had about ten inches a couple of weeks ago, then temps got into the fifties and everything melted.

I'm praying for a snow-free Christmas so my surprise new wheel covers for my wife's car won't be covered up.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 01:27:10 PM »
Only four inches? That's a dusting of snow here in WI.

We've been lucky so far, though. We had about ten inches a couple of weeks ago, then temps got into the fifties and everything melted.

I'm praying for a snow-free Christmas so my surprise new wheel covers for my wife's car won't be covered up.

For some reason our early storms are usually not very big, 'cept in the mountains.  The big valley snows are usaully Feb and Mar.  Those are the 12" storms.  Of course, a few years ago we got a foot at thanksgiving....
JD

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 01:34:09 PM »
Yeah, I've noticed the gates on the roads in the mountains in Utah and other western states.

What do people do when roads get closed?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 01:42:22 PM »
In Iowa I-35 north of Hwy 30 has gated exits, I guess people just hole up in motels until the Interstate opens again.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 01:42:41 PM »
Here in SC today's temp was 73 with hard blue skies, 5 mph wind, and low humidity.  If you gotta do winter, this is how its done.  grin
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »
Yeah, I've noticed the gates on the roads in the mountains in Utah and other western states.

Take a back route, get stuck, be the subject of a massive search effort, wander off and die and have everyone call you a hero.
 grin
I've never been stopped by a storm.  If it happens I'd just backtrack to the first hotel with a bar and wait it out.
JD

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 04:49:22 PM »
I wish we would get some snow here in MT. Went snowboarding today in 18 degree temps, but sunny, felt like 30 degrees. grin
When I lived in Reno we once had 8 ft in 2 days, now that's good stuff.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 02:43:27 AM »
Warm but rainy here in the Wabash Valley, about to get warmer too.  At least the mist and rain kept other people off the range. grin

I wonder what people have against rain?  Water is life.  The weather's so bad that only crows and El Tejon are out today. police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 02:59:17 AM »
Texas really does have 4 seasons- December, January, February and Hell.
  THat's the impression I got.  (Two years at Fort Hood.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 09:19:04 AM »
I haven't seen a good snow in 10+ years.

Send some o' that stuff down this way, if you please. smiley

Sheesh, Jamisjockey, I didn't want quite that much. 8 inches on the ground by tomorrow night is the forecast. You're good at this!
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Strings

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 10:05:54 AM »
Snow doesn't bother me: COLD bothers me...

I find it interesting, watching people around here though. Friday, I saw five or six people out on their hogs (and it wasn't all THAT warm!)...

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 01:44:23 PM »
Hunter Rose, back before I became a motorcycle wimp, I'd ride my cycle when temps were in the 20's. Not for long at 26 degrees, but I'd get out and ride. 40 degrees? That was fine.

As I've gotten older, I've become less tolerant of extremes of temperature.

I guess that means the only place for me to live is San Diego.  shocked

Strings

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »
Dick, I could see riding in the cold: I've gone out when it was a bit on the chilly side (although now I look at it as "fools under 50*"). But there was snow pretty much everywhere, too...  rolleyes

San Diego DOES have nice climate. Now if we could just eliminate many of the people, and most of the laws...

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 06:40:06 PM »

Take a back route, get stuck, be the subject of a massive search effort, wander off and die and have everyone call you a hero.
 grin
I've never been stopped by a storm.  If it happens I'd just backtrack to the first hotel with a bar and wait it out.

If you are reliant on a hotel with a bar for your "anti-freeze" needs, you are woefully unprepared.  Store the booze in your car next to the candles and blankets, remember to have enough for a toast to the rescue team.  ...and remember, if you have to walk out, the best place to carry it is in your liver.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."