Author Topic: Get a haircut and Get a Real Job  (Read 1689 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Get a haircut and Get a Real Job
« on: December 17, 2006, 08:59:31 AM »
Interesting article on German unemployment. Apparently a Green Party member was rather upset that one of Merkel's people pulled a reality check and told this guy to make himself presentable if he wanted a job. Smiley

-------------------
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6285866,00.html

Unemployed German Man Stirs Debate

Sunday December 17, 2006 3:16 AM

By VANESSA GERA

Associated Press Writer

BERLIN (AP) - Henrico Frank went from being just another of Germany's 4 million unemployed people to a media celebrity overnight. All it took was a haircut and a shave.

Now, Frank may even have landed himself a steady job, thanks to an unexpected run-in this week with a politician in central Germany.

Frank's luck began to change on Tuesday, when he was cruising through a Christmas market in the city of Wiesbaden, wearing grubby clothes, a pair of nose rings and a thatch of partially bleached, punk-inspired hair.

The 37-year-old, who has been without work for six years, chanced upon Kurt Beck, chairman of the Social Democrats - the center-left half of Chancellor Angela Merkel's federal coalition.

Beck was a perfect target for Frank's frustration, and he harangued the politician for what he saw as the failure of economic reforms aimed at lifting people like himself - a construction worker - out of unemployment and into a better life.

Beck's retort? ``If you would just wash and shave, you'd find a job, too.''

Two days later, Frank lopped off his locks, shaved his dark beard and removed his nose rings. Then he organized a news conference.

``I am ready to change,'' Frank told reporters, saying he was fed up with living off handouts from the unemployment office. ``I'll take any job.''

Frank instantly became the talk of German media, with one newspaper splashing his before-and-after photos on its front page Friday.

And his makeover seems to have worked. Beck plans to present Frank with several job offers next week from construction, house painting and cleaning companies.

Frank's story has prompted serious debate and soul searching about whether German leaders are focusing enough on reining in chronic unemployment in Europe's biggest economy. Last month, unemployment slipped to 9.6 percent in Germany, the first time in four years it was less than 10 percent. But nearly 4 million Germans remain without work.

Beck was accused by some of attempting to shift responsibility for the country's jobless rate from the government to the unemployed. One Green Party member, Thea Dueckert, told the Die Welt newspaper that Beck was stigmatizing the jobless.

``With 4 million unemployed, you cannot seriously claim that the people themselves bear guilt for their destiny,'' she said.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Get a haircut and Get a Real Job
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 10:55:02 AM »
``With 4 million unemployed, you cannot seriously claim that the people themselves bear guilt for their destiny,'' she said.

Give me some time and I bet, from a photo line-up alone, I can find quite a few individuals who do themselves "bear guilt for their destiny".  rolleyes
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 11:10:38 AM »
When I've interviewed people for assorted jobs, those who show up late and/or poorly dressed and groomed get crossed off the list.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 11:31:47 AM »
When I've interviewed people for assorted jobs, those who show up late and/or poorly dressed and groomed get crossed off the list.
Same here, although the grooming part is depended apon the nature of the work involved.  When in the Bloodmines, the length of one's hair and/or beard did not really matter, since we were all wearing hairnets and beard covers (for those of us who had beards/mustaches) anyway.  I was more concerned with the person's knowledge of things biological, chemical and mechanical.

I can understand, and have no issue with employers requiring a particular style of grooming for their employees who interact with the public or if its a safety consideration.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 01:17:09 PM »
I've had scruffy people just walk into my business and say, "yo, you got any jobs?" Real professional.

Once I was trying to find some Goth types for a magazine ad. I went to a Goth bar and took Polaroids of people who fit the bill. One was a woman about thirty years old. She had a patch of brightly colored hair on the top of her head. The sides of her head were shaved, and she had tattoos of peacocks on either side that extended from the sides of her head down the neck and onto her shoulders.

I asked her what she did for a living. She said that she was a graphic designer, but was having a hard time finding a job.

Hmmm. Wonder why.

I got my first "official" job as soon as I turned sixteen. I went to the interview wearing a tweed three-piece suit and tie. The job opening was for a dishwasher, and the job paid 95 cents an hour.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 03:29:05 PM »
...The 37-year-old, who has been without work for six years, chanced upon Kurt Beck, chairman of the Social Democrats - the center-left half of Chancellor Angela Merkel's federal coalition....

In North Korea maybe that's possible without any fault on the part of the un-employee, but I doubt Germany.

My own job has no appearance requirement, all clothing rules are safety related. I could get a four letter word tattood on my forehead tonight, and tomorrow at work face no more serious repercussion than personal humiliation of being laughed at by all the guys at work.

Knowing that I showed up for my interview in a suit/tie with a fresh shave and haircut. One of the three plant bosses that was part of the committee that interviewed me is a Harley guy with a mid back length braid. He still appreciated that I thought enough of the job opportunity to show up looking my best. I got the job over a bunch of other guys, some more qualified than me.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 04:19:45 PM »
Having a mohawk never kept me from getting a job when I was a welder. I just kept it under my hat.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 04:06:36 AM »
Hey, it is his right to neglect personal hygiene if he wants.  It is my right to not consider the loser fit for employment.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 04:36:15 AM »
I must say the Kraut govt. bears as much responsibility as the unemployed construction worker.  Unless I am mistaken, Germany is one of those workers' paradises that has regulated itself into high unemployment figures.  If the evil capitalist construction firms weren't forced to pay so much in employee benefits (as well as complying with other costly regulations), they'd probably hire this individual nose-rings and all.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 04:57:29 AM »
A 37 year old behaving this way? shocked  It's one thing for a 19 year old to behave like a spoiled child but a 37 year old man.  Wow, P.J. O'Rourke is dead on about the permanent immaturity of the products of the Welfare Staaten.

I'll bet there's nothing wrong with him, he's just a product of a soft society.  Much of German, like much of the USA, needs a good shaking and kick in the der backsiden.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 07:36:10 AM »
. . . he was cruising through a Christmas market in the city of Wiesbaden, wearing grubby clothes, a pair of nose rings and a thatch of partially bleached, punk-inspired hair.

The 37-year-old, who has been without work for six years . . .

A 37 year old behaving this way? shocked  It's one thing for a 19 year old to behave like a spoiled child but a 37 year old man.  Wow, P.J. O'Rourke is dead on about the permanent immaturity of the products of the Welfare Staaten.

Looks like El Tejon's reaction to the story mirrored my own . . . the guy is decked out like one of those angry teens I remember filling out the bottom rungs of my high school class, not someone entering middle age.

In the USA, unemployment runs out after six months . . . and this (presumably) able-bodied 37-year old has been on the dole for SIX YEARS?  shocked

Temporary assistance is one thing, but eventually, the choice ought to be "Work or Starve" . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain