Author Topic: Let it all go, keep the anger, or what?  (Read 4542 times)

anonymous_please

Let it all go, keep the anger, or what?
« on: September 10, 2005, 07:09:39 PM »
I'm a regular poster on this forum and others. I registered again under a pseudonym for reasons that will soon be obvious.

I met my wife back in the 1960's, and everything was terrific. After a couple of years together, she dumped me for a real dirtball. That didn't last long. Far as I know, he's in jail right now.

For about two years after that, we went back and forth between trying to get back together again, and trying to hurt each other by trying to one-up each other with a new person.

In the end, we both realized that we were destined for each other. The past, though, has never stopped haunting me. I just can't forget.

She was beautiful, and obviously could have anybody she wanted at the drop of a hat. Unfortunately, she often did.

We got married in the late 1970's. I had to let a lot of stuff go in order to do that, though.

After we got married, I got my "real" job. It was a new company, and I worked some very long hours. 8:30 am to 11pm or even 1am. Sometimes night after night. The bonuses I got were even more than my regular pay. I only mention the bonuses because we were young and struggling to get a start. I wanted a good future for us.

It wasn't long before I found myself coming home to an empty apartment. While I was working 16 or 18 hours a day, she was leaving work at 5pm with a guy I'd never seen or met.

Prettty soon, she wasn't coming home until 3 or even 5am in the morning. This was less than two years after we were married.

I knew the clubs and bars that she liked to hang out at, and went to them with a photo of her. I'd ask the bartenders if they'd seen her in the past week, if she was with this guy, and what did the bartender think about what was going on.

The bartenders said they'd seen her, but they thought it looked like friendly conversation, not some sort of affair.

I confronted my bride about this, and she said that they were just friends. No sex or anything else involved.

To my way of thinking, if it wasn't sexual yet, it would be sooner or later.

I called the guy's wife, and we talked for a long time. She was very concerned as well about where all this was going.

Finally, I confronted the guy in a parking structure after work, and presented him with a simple decision: continue to see my wife and I would kill him; or he could quit his job and move to another city and never see my wife again, and I would let him live.

Folks who know me are surprised that I've been able to threaten death and get results. I guess it's because I only threaten death when I really mean it, and that must come across. I've only done that two or three times in my life, but every time I meant it.

The guy quit his job the next day, and within a couple of months moved his family to another state.

All of that is in the past. What's in the  present is how I feel about that.

I was with my oldest and closest friend the other night, and told him that story. I'd never told him before. When I told him that my wife still says that nothing happened, he called bullfeathers.

Last year sometime, my wife and I got into some old beefs about who did what. When I brought this up, I went into a rage like I've never done before. Nothing physical; I don't hit people, and certainly not my wife. But, when I'd finished my screaming, my wife was in shock. She just said, "I can't believe you've held in all that rage for over twenty years."

All the above is prelude to the questions I have for anyone interested in answering (I'd especially love to hear from female members of this forum): should I let it all go away and, if so, how? If not, how else do I deal with it? Or is there even any way to deal with it?

I don't know why this issue has surfaced again. All I know is that, from the moment that the priest blessed our marriage, I've never crossed the line. Ever. And I had opportunities presented to me from former girlfriends that most guys would find hard to pass up.

Maybe it was just talking old times with my best friend that brought this to the surface again. But it's been on my mind again now for a couple of days.

Or maybe it's just the idea that I'm old, my wife is old, and that those days are long gone. And that some guys--this guy in particular--took something precious from me that cannot be replaced.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 07:15:55 PM »
"She just said, "I can't believe you've held in all that rage for over twenty years.""

Dude, I have to agree with her.

"Or maybe it's just the idea that I'm old, my wife is old, and that those days are long gone. And that some guys--this guy in particular--took something precious from me that cannot be replaced."

In reality, what did this guy take?

Doesn't seem to me as if he took anything, really. You're still married, presumably somewhat happily. You're only perceiving that something was taken because you have a trust issue with your wife -- in short, you apparently didn't trust her back then, and you apparently still don't trust her now.

The way I see it, as it stands right now, the only thing that was taken from you is what you took from yourself -- your own peace of mind.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 07:25:49 PM »
The biggest thing is you feel betrayed by someone you love and that tears your heart out and pisses you off at the same time.

People get emotionally attached to people outside their marriage because they're lonely or scared or insecure. If they're miserable low life scum sucking vermin, its usually just a physical thing. Doesn't make the facts any easier to deal with, but that's just the way it is.

There's also the very real possibility that she's telling the truth, and they really were just friends. It's been known to happen.

Forgive her. Forgive yourself. Move on. You've been married a long time, things are different now, neither of you are the same. She's not the person who (may have) done those things and you're not the person you were then, either. Live your lives as you are now, not as you were then.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 07:47:01 PM »
Tough situation, a_p.

What I've discovered is that you can't drag a rope through life pulling all the regrets, failures and disappointments that all of us have experienced to one degree or another.

Trite saying, but there's a great deal of truth to this:

The past is history
The future's a mystery,
Today is a gift.  That's why it's called the present.

We only have 'moments' to live.  Make 'em count, here and now.

Let it go.

anonymous_please

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 07:58:26 PM »
Barbara: leave it to a woman to distill things down to the very basics.

You're right. It still hurts, though.

Mike Irwin: she only heard that rage because I'd never spoken it before.

You know the term "vendetta." Well, there are guys I fought in high school 40+ years ago who still "have it coming."

What did "this guy" take?

He took any illusion of fidelity on my wife's part from me. Maybe it was Platonic, maybe not. But the perception is sometimes just as real as the reality.

He also did permanent damage to a relationship that I fought hard to re-establish. While she was involved with some real scumbags, I was working to bring her back to me. She's always been my #1 priority. Hard to explain, unless you know her. My best friend understands, even to this day, why I sacrificed an engineering school scholarship and many other things in order to stay close to her. Hell, it wasn't until the other night that I realized that he's still in love with her today. It's very easy to love her. She has friends from coast to coast who stay in regular contact, and not for sexual reasons.

I'm guessing you're going to ask why I don't blame all this on my wife, instead of this guy. Credible point, if you raise it, and one that my best friend has raised many times over the years.

My answer to my friend and to you, should you raise that point, is that I've always believed that men should be held to a higher standard of conduct than women. A woman who's intoxicated, or a woman who's going through a divorce or other problems, is vulnerable. A man should be able to hold his liquor, and also understand the consequences of his actions. And he shouldn't behave like a vulture.

It's the Don Corleone line from The Godfather: "Women and children can be careless, but not men."

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 01:25:13 AM »
Maybe she got tired of being treated like an idiot? Smiley

Preacherman

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 06:43:17 AM »
It's difficult to offer advice and counsel over the Internet, but here goes...

I've worked with literally hundreds of troubled marriages as a pastor and counselor, and I've found there are a few common denominators that always exist, no matter what the situation:

1.  There's always enough blame for two.  It's never one party's fault:  the other also carries some share of the blame, in some way.

2.  Reconciliation and healing automatically, inevitably and invariably implies FORGIVENESS.  If one can't forgive, one can't be reconciled.  Period.

3.  Healing takes time.  If trust has been destroyed (or even only mildly shaken), it takes a while to build it up again, and takes both parties to do so.

4.  A great deal depends on the attitude of each party towards the other.

I'd like to expand on Point 4, as it's absolutely critical.  If one party sees the other as a subordinate, or an inferior, or even a "possession", then there is virtually no hope for healing in the relationship.  Only if both parties accept the other as an equal, with equal rights, privileges, duties and responsibilities, can there be a coming together after such an incident.  To be equal implies shared responsibility for both the past and the future.  If I look upon my partner as being "less" than I am, in any way, or as being "mine" in any degree greater than I am "hers", I'm the root cause of the problem - not her!!!

Let me give you an example of the kind of thing I do in marriage counseling.  One of the first questions I ask a troubled couple is "When did you stop making love WITH each other, and start making love TO each other?"  It's amazing - they always know exactly what I mean!  You can almost see their shock as they realize the implications of this question.  "With" is another person, with all of the shared warmth, caring and involvement that that implies.  "To" is a blow-up rubber doll - or, at least, treating another person in the same way.  "With" is communication, love, mutuality;  "To" is dominance, ownership, indifference.  This distinction applies to many areas of a marriage, not just to sex:  but it's most fundamentally encountered in the marital act, and is a dead give-away to the underlying problem.

I could go on for hours about this, but that wouldn't help much.  If you'd like to contact me to discuss the problem further, please feel free to do so.  The easiest way is to e-mail me at preacherman AT thehighroad.org.

God bless, and good luck to both of you!
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 06:46:30 AM »
Wow, you're a lot more tactful than I am. Do you learn that in Preacher school? Smiley

anonymous_please

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 08:47:10 AM »
Preacherman, that's very good advice. Thanks.

Barbara, I don't think I treat my wife like an idiot. We share equally all responsibilities. Actually, I have more faith in her abilities than she does, as she has low self-esteem. And, no, I don't think I caused that. It's been there from the day we met.

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 09:03:06 AM »
Eh, well, I've been around here long enough for you to know by now..anytime you treat a woman like she's less than a person, I'm going to give you crap. Smiley

You've both been under a lot of stress lately, huh? Don't make it worse with this. I think you're taking a pile of bad things that are happening, and dwelling on them, and getting even more stressed.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 01:15:27 PM »
When did you stop making love WITH each other, and start making love TO each other?
Well said, Preacherman!

Here's a clue I didn't know what to make of until I was in my forties: when I'm in bed with a woman and I've got another woman in mind, I'm in the wrong bed with the wrong woman for the wrong reasons.

Even after I figured out what to make of that, it took a long time to act on it.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Preacherman

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 01:40:26 PM »
Even after I figured out what to make of that, it took a long time to act on it.
Coitus interruptus???

cheesy
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 04:24:18 PM »
A_P,

Build her up and give her more of yourself.  The more you do that, the more you will be comforted.  You have loved her for many years in spite of her long ago behaviour.  I have learned that the more one gives, the more one becomes free.

You're old and so is she.  Me too. I have experience, as well.   I was the crap head in the 70's, so the shoe was on the other foot. We'll be married 39 years soon.
  So, perhaps, she has been carrying a lot of guilt for a long time and you have been carrying a lot of anger.  Really accomplished a lot, didn't it?

Perhaps you've had a watershed moment and the rest of your lives together can be free of guilt and anger and that would be a good thing.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 04:48:30 PM »
Anon,

"That guy" didn't take anything that wasn't being offered (if, in fact it was being offered).  After all this time you still can't admit who you're really angry at?  "Men should be held to a higher standard" means your wife's standards are lower than yours.  It also says that you do not see your wife as an equal, since your "higher standards" imply superiority.  I wonder where she hides her anger?

Preach is right.  It's never too late to get marriage counseling.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 05:25:58 PM »
"Next!"

-John Ross
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 05:51:18 PM »
anonymous, it sounds like you're getting two different stories: one from your friend, who's calling your wife's story bullshit; and one from your wife, who it sounds like she still insists today that nothing happened.

She was there. He wasn't. She knows the truth, he doesn't, and neither do you.

But it sounds like you've been together in a good marriage for decades. That should tell you something.  I'd believe my wife before believing a friend who didn't know what really happened.

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2005, 05:53:36 AM »
She was there. He wasn't. She knows the truth, he doesn't, and neither do you.
Of course on the other hand she has reason to lie and he doesn't.

I'm always amazed at couples who go through this crap and decide to get back together. A friend of mine did this with his wife (now ex-wife). On again, off again, on again, off again ... they where either fighting or doing something else that started with an f.

Thats just no way to live.

As far as I'm concerned, infidelity is always a deal breaker ... I might eventually forgive it, but never enough to get back with someone who cheated. I would also expect any woman I'm with to feel pretty much the same way if I cheated.

While I was working 16 or 18 hours a day, she was leaving work at 5pm with a guy I'd never seen or met.

Prettty soon, she wasn't coming home until 3 or even 5am in the morning. This was less than two years after we were married.
I'm sorry ... I don't care what she says ... you don't regularly stay out all night with a person of the opposite sex ... drinking and hanging out in bars without eventually banging them. Unless this guy is homosexual (in which case he'd get bored hanging out with some chick until 3 or 5 am) she's been nekked with him.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 07:47:03 AM »
A_P:
Sorry man but the problem belongs to you and not your wife. You're the one that has to deal not her. Even if she did cheat on ya it was 20 years ago. If she didn't cheat on ya (and she says she didn't) then the problem is all yours. If she did cheat on ya what the hell good does it do you or her (assuming you actually are happily married - doubtful on the face of it) to stew over something that happened so long ago? ANSWER: It doesn't do a bit of good and looks like it is causing a lot of BAD!

GET OVER IT!

Your problem not hers. Until you can own up to that you're headed into a pit so deep you may never find your way out of it.  You're the one who feels bad (due to some major insecurity on your part probably) about what happened not her.

What do you want her to do to make you feel better - Huh? Think about that! Is there anything she can do to solve the problem as you've described it? NOPE! Not IMO there isn't. What happened with her happened 20 years ago and may not have even occured. No amount of crying, whining, chest thumping or recrimination is going to change what happened one bit.

Jealousy isn't called the green eyed monster for nothing and you my friend have a major case of it. Deal with it. You either trust your wife or you don't. If you don't and feel like you cannot ever then you might as well file for divorce now other wise you may just end up killing her.

Men deal with their problems they don't whine about them.

Either forget about water under the bridge and get the hell over it, figure out what she needs to do to make you feel better or leave her. What other options are there?

You either forgive and forget or end up sad and miserable headed down a path of self destruction whose destination is divorce at best and prison at worst.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

anonymous_please

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 07:31:00 PM »
The mix of opinions in the above replies are amazing.

"There's also the very real possibility that she's telling the truth, and they really were just friends. It's been known to happen."

Yes, Barbara, and my wife has many friends--many male friends--who I trust absolutely with her. In fact, I'd rather see her going out with those male friends than with most of her female friends. I trust those brothers, nephews, cousins, and "gay boys" to protect her better than most other males would. And I know there's not going to be any "hanky-panky."

Some posters have said that my wife had an affair. Others said they don't know. Others pronounced judgement on something that nobody other than my wife knows what happened, except for that ahole, and he went into hiding twenty-some years ago.

The best advice I've gotten is from those who said to just let it go. And that's where I'm going.

Barbara also brought up a point that nobody else did: that we're under stress. Barbara, you should start advertising yourself on TV as one of those live-psychic's, and make a million dollars.

Your point was right on the mark. Things are really bad, and I guess I'm trying to re-live the good times from twenty years ago, and the bad times float to the surface as well.

Maybe we all think that, upon reflection, the old times were just good times.

Whatever. The bad times were there, too.

Here's what I know: my wife and I have a good marriage, and there's nobody I've ever seen that I would leave her for. Not even close.

My best friend? Well, he was pretty well drunk when we were talking. It's a ritual with us every year or two or three: we get drunk and talk until 7am or later. He's the only person I can talk to about such sensitive subjects like this. Other than that, I can only write posts on obscure forums and get input from people who have no direct involvement, but have their own perspectives to draw upon. You folks contribute a lot, believe me.

And, again, about my best friend: we're both in our fifties, and it wasn't until the other night that he told me how much in love he was way back when with my wife. Or that he still has fantasies about her.

In other words, despite our lifelong friendship and my trust with him, he's just not a credible source. And, no,  I know he never laid a finger on her. He knew then and knows now that doing so would mean real and serious pain, or worse.

Let this be the end of the discussion about what did or did not happen, because it just doesn't do any good to my wife or to me to dwell on the subject. It is what it is, or it is what it was not.

But let me clarify what seems to be a sticking point for some: my point about women and children, and the role of "men." To whit:

Both men and women suffer during a divorce. Plenty of emotions to pass around. It's been my experience, though, that there are guys who pick up on the woman's emotions and move in like vultures. I'd like to cut those guys' johnson's off and stake them to a tree. It's taking advantage of someone who is vulnerable.

Women in general make for lousy drunks. Women display their emotions more openly than do men (any arguements there?), and alcohol brings out emotions. A woman who's drunk is a billboard. I know I'll get some beef about this, but it's just what I've observed over the decades.

Let me give an example: at the concert we were at the other night, I got to talking with a very attractive  intoxicated young woman in her 30's who is going through a divorce. We danced for a minute. We talked about her a***ole ex. I congratulated her on her freedom, and told her she'd have a better future.

She threw her arms around me and gave me a peck on the cheek. Then wandered off.

I told my wife about that; it was innocent, and she understood. And I also know with 90% certainty that, if I'd wanted to, even as an old fart in his fiftie's, I could have parlayed that moment into a "night."

The traditional role of the man has been to put food on the table. The current role of the "man" is to get what he can, and then cut and run.

"Women and children can be careless, but not men."

Until women such as Barbara, Tamara, Pax and others decided to take control of their own lives, I believe that was the case. Prior to that, most women were in Jeff Cooper's "Condition White." So were most men, but not to that extent.

Barbara, define a real "woman" however you want, and let me know your definitions.

My definition of a "man" revolves around his ability to provide for family, protect his wife and family, discern between right and wrong, live his life around a long-forgotten code of honor, and lay upon his deathbed before God and not have to say "I'm sorry."

My father is in his late 80's, and he is that kind of man. I can only hope that I can measure up to his stature.

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 11:38:17 PM »
We're not the Borg. There is no "real" woman. I'm no more like Britney Spears or Indira Ghandi than you're like Jeffrey Dahlmer or Sean Penn.

anonymous_please

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005, 07:23:50 PM »
OK, Barbara. Point taken. I sure hope you're not Britney Spears. And I sure ain't Jeffrey Dahmer.

All of these thoughts started because, as you mentioned, we're in the middle of bad times.

I was looking back and longing for the good times and, there in the Yellow Brick Road, was this
incident that hurt, whether it happened or not.

I can choose to believe my friend (who knows nothing about this, really), or I can choose to believe my wife and enable us to work together to get our finances back in order.

Not a hard decision to make. I'm still on my first marriage after some 25+ years, my friend is on his second, and I have other friends who are on their third or even fourth.

All of the much-appreciated replies have caused me to actually think: if the worst had happened, I can't change it; if it was just friends, then so much the better; and, if my wife were prone to cheating, this would not have been the only time. I'd have seen it again over the last 20+ years.

Zundfolge: "I'm sorry ... I don't care what she says ... you don't regularly stay out all night with a person of the opposite sex ... drinking and hanging out in bars without eventually banging them."

Oh, believe me, Zundfolge, that's the case 90% of the time. But there was this very attractive young virgin I met whose parents taught her well. We went out to the bars, closed them up, then went for coffee and talked until sunrise. Nothing ever happened between us, much as I tried.

This thread is over.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2005, 07:40:09 PM »
I'll say one thing; a cheat is a cheat.  They don't change overnight and sometimes they never change at all.

There were two people I knew in high school--the girl and I had crushes on each other but never were single at the same time.  The guy I barely knew, but when I came home from college I spent more and more time with him. After college, I ended up spending more time with her, as friends.  During this time they were on and off more times than I could keep track of.

We almost got together one night, and it woulda been too easy to blame that one on the booze or say that it didn't count because the two of them weren't together at the time; but, believe it or not, I *can* make good decisions every once in a while.

The point of this story, though, is that I see both sides of a situation similar to the one you went through in the '70s, and I can tell you for a fact that you'll never know who it is.  Some of the guys he thinks are complete scum she wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, and one of the guys he thinks is a saint honestly deserves to have seven kinds of snot kicked out of him.

In the end, all you've got is your wife's word, thirty-or-so years later.  There's no way to ever find out for sure, and the only answer that will make you stop wondering is "Yes, I slept with every guy I've ever met, the Pope, and the President."  Probably best for you to take some of Preacherman's advice and just let this issue die.