Author Topic: Partisan bomb threat against FreedomWorks DC Office... TEA Party affected?  (Read 8234 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
http://blogs.abcnews.com/george/2009/09/bomb-threat-forces-evacuation-of-dc-tea-party-planners.html

On the eve of what organizers call a 'Big Ol' TEA Party', the Washington, D.C., offices of FreedomWorks were evacuated by DC Metro police on Friday afternoon after the conservative organization reported to authorities at 3:42 pm ET that it had received a bomb threat.

At 4:48 pm ET, the organization put out a Twitter message saying that it turned out to be a false alarm but the organization is not happy about the disruption.

DavisMy colleague, ABC News' Teddy Davis has the story:

Tens of thousands of anti-big government activists are expected in Washington on Saturday as part of a "March on Washington" being organized by FreedomWorks, a conservative group headed by former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, R-Texas.

A FreedomWorks staffer told ABC News that the organization's offices at 601 Pennsylvania Avenue were evacuated on Friday afternoon by DC Metro Police because of a bomb scare.

DC Metro police has confirmed to ABC News' Jason Ryan that the DC Metro police had, indeed, evacuated the organization's offices after being told by the organization that it had received a bomb threat.

The threat came when a man called the FreedomWorks main line and told the organization's female receptionist: "I put a bomb in your building, bitch."

The FreedomWorks staffer who spoke with ABC News said that the organization has received multiple threats but that for some reason, the DC Metro police thought that this one was credible enough to evacuate the building.

The FreedomWorks staffer did not fear for his safety but worried that it was an effort to disrupt the organization's ability to round up activists in advance of tomorrow's "March on Washington" which is expected to bring tens of thousands of activists to the nation's capital. 

The FreedomWorks staffers says that 50 volunteers were forced to leave the office where they were making calls encouraging people to come to tomorrow's event. 

So, the speculation is that it was either a person opposed to the TEA party movement trying to hinder it, or a movement BY the TEA party leadership to cover for a low turn-out.

I hope that, whomever it might have been, they get caught and prosecuted.  And that DC takes note of the TEA party in their front yard.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Partisan bomb threat against FreedomWorks DC Office... TEA Party affected?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:03:19 AM »
it looks like the DC tea party was huge

like over a million people HUGE
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=926388

Up to two million march to US Capitol to protest against Obama's spending in 'tea-party' demonstration

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1213056/Up-million-march-US-Capitol-protest-Obamas-spending-tea-party-demonstration.html
Last updated at 9:39 PM on 12th September 2009

Up to two million people marched to the U.S. Capitol today, carrying signs with slogans such as "Obamacare makes me sick" as they protested the president's health care plan and what they say is out-of-control spending.

The line of protesters spread across Pennsylvania Avenue for blocks, all the way to the capitol, according to the Washington Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency.

People were chanting "enough, enough" and "We the People." Others yelled "You lie, you lie!" and "Pelosi has to go," referring to California congresswoman Nancy Pelosi.

Demonstrators waved U.S. flags and held signs reading "Go Green Recycle Congress" and "I'm Not Your ATM." Men wore colonial costumes as they listened to speakers who warned of "judgment day" - Election Day 2010.

Richard Brigle, 57, a Vietnam War veteran and former Teamster, came from Michigan. He said health care needs to be reformed - but not according to President Barack Obama's plan.

"My grandkids are going to be paying for this. It's going to cost too much money that we don't have," he said while marching, bracing himself with a wooden cane as he walked.

FreedomWorks Foundation, a conservative organization led by former House of Representatives Majority Leader Dick Armey, organized several groups from across the country for what they billed as a "March on Washington."

Organizers say they built on momentum from the April "tea party" demonstrations held nationwide to protest tax policies, along with growing resentment over the economic stimulus packages and bank bailouts.

Many protesters said they paid their own way to the event - an ethic they believe should be applied to the government.

They say unchecked spending on things like a government-run health insurance option could increase inflation and lead to economic ruin.

Terri Hall, 45, of Florida, said she felt compelled to become political for the first time this year because she was upset by government spending.

"Our government has lost sight of the powers they were granted," she said. She added that the deficit spending was out of control, and said she thought it was putting the country at risk.

Anna Hayes, 58, a nurse from Fairfax County, stood on the Mall in 1981 for Reagan's inauguration. "The same people were celebrating freedom," she said. "The president was fighting for the people then. I remember those years very well and fondly."

Saying she was worried about "Obamacare," Hayes explained: "This is the first rally I've been to that demonstrates against something, the first in my life. I just couldn't stay home anymore."
march

Like countless others at the rally, Joan Wright, 78, of Ocean Pines, Md., sounded angry. "I'm not taking this crap anymore," said Wright, who came by bus to Washington with 150 like-minded residents of Maryland's Eastern Shore. "I don't like the health-care [plan]. I don't like the czars. And I don't like the elitists telling us what we should do or eat."

Republican lawmakers also supported the rally.

"Republicans, Democrats and independents are stepping up and demanding we put our fiscal house in order," Rep. Mike Pence, chairman of the House Republican Conference, said.

"I think the overriding message after years of borrowing, spending and bailouts is enough is enough."

Other sponsors of the rally include the Heartland Institute, Americans for Tax Reform and the Ayn Rand Center for Individuals Rights.

Recent polls illustrate how difficult recent weeks have been for a president who, besides tackling health care, has been battling to end a devastatingly deep recession.

Fifty percent approve and 49 percent disapprove of the overall job he is doing as president, compared to July, when those approving his performance clearly outnumbered those who were unhappy with it, 55 percent to 42 percent.

Just 42 percent approve of the president's work on the high-profile health issue.

The poll was taken over five days just before Obama's speech to Congress. That speech reflected Obama's determination to push ahead despite growing obstacles.

"I will not waste time with those who have made the calculation that it's better politics to kill this plan than to improve it," Obama said on Wednesday night. "I won't stand by while the special interests use the same old tactics to keep things exactly the way they are.

"If you misrepresent what's in the plan, we'll call you out. And I will not accept the status quo as a solution."

Prior to Obama's speech before Congress U.S. Capitol Police arrested a man they say tried to get into a secure area near the Capitol with a gun in his car as President Barack Obama was speaking.

Police spokeswoman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said Thursday that 28-year-old Joshua Bowman of suburban Falls Church, Virginia, was arrested around 8 p.m. Wednesday when Obama was due to speak.

Bowman's intentions were unclear, police said.

Today's protests imitated the original Boston Tea Party of 1773, when colonists threw three shiploads of taxed tea into Boston Harbour in protest against the British government under the slogan 'No taxation without representation'.

The group first began rising to prominence in April, when the governor of Texas threatened to secede from the union in protest against government spending. Waves of tea party protests have crossed America since.

Today's rally, the largest grouping of fiscal conservatives to march on Washington, comes on the heels of heated town halls held during the congressional August recess when some Democratic lawmakers were confronted, disrupted and shouted down by angry protestors who oppose President Obama's plan to overhaul the health care system.

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:24:49 AM »
Thousands pack downtown DC for

(AP) – 14 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Thousands of fiscal conservatives have packed streets in the nation's capital to protest what they consider the federal government's out-of-control spending.

Demonstrators have filled Freedom Plaza and Pennsylvania Avenue in downtown Washington. They are waving U.S. flags and holding signs reading "Go Green Recycle Congress," "I'm Not Your ATM" and "Obamacare makes me sick."

Some men are dressed in colonial costumes with tri-colored hats.

Protesters plan to march later to the U.S. Capitol.

FreedomWorks Foundation, a conservative organization led by former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, organized several groups from across the country for what they're calling a "March on Washington."
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:35:46 AM by Harold Tuttle »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 12:57:24 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-01-19-crowd_N.htm

Holy...  Dude, that's easily north of a million people if you use the National Park Service estimation thingie.  Could be up to two million.  And it looks like folks with actual jobs, not professional protesters.  That means between one in 150-300 Americans was in DC to express their displeasure at the President and Congress.  That's impressive.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 03:18:53 AM »
Observing the MSM coverage of this will be interesting...
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 06:12:42 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-01-19-crowd_N.htm

Holy...  Dude, that's easily north of a million people if you use the National Park Service estimation thingie.  Could be up to two million.  And it looks like folks with actual jobs, not professional protesters.  That means between one in 150-300 Americans was in DC to express their displeasure at the President and Congress.  That's impressive.
I bet some of those being protested against would rather prefer to call it "scary"...
For the first time since Obama's inaguration, I feel rather hopeful for you guys =).
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:39:18 AM »
fixed the link, the first image they have up, godwins the rally & this morning NPR. who had reporters there. called it "tens of thousands"

Funny how the MMM in 1999, got reported everywhere as 750,000 in DC with 250,000 at other locations just cause thats what Rosie said they had there.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 11:00:06 AM »

Or lack thereof.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 01:07:54 PM »

What coverage?

This thread is the first report I have seen on the event.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 01:42:25 PM »
I saw CNN covering it yesterday.  That is better than usual in my book.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »
FNC was on it this morning, while CNN was reporting about Serina Williams' diatribe in some tennis tourny.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 11:56:56 PM »
What coverage?

This thread is the first report I have seen on the event.

I hope this forever answers the question about why conservatives don't protest (much). When we're lucky enough to get any coverage, it's only to be smeared. 

I'm not sayin' we shouldn't do it.  Just sayin'.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 12:01:38 AM »
Here are 199 news articles. Including AP, CNN, Fox News, ABC, NPR and newspaper coverage.

Newspaper coverage (including HuffPo can also be found here.

Associated Press video footage is here, and here's a video made of various networks coverage.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 12:56:16 AM »
You spent a lot of time missing the point there.

Nobody said it was a total media black-out.  You can find news reports on just about anything if you Google it.  But how prominent was the coverage?  I'll be honest, I can't answer that.  I don't have a TV and don't do establishment press of any kind, if I can avoid it.

You also lose two points for the last link.  One point deducted for making me listen to even one second of the dreadful "God Bless the USA" song.  Another point for making me look at my beloved Senator, Claire McCaskill. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 01:06:18 AM »
God Bless the USA is dreadful? What kind of dirty Communist ARE you? =D =D =D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hutch

• friend
March on Washington? Really?
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 08:26:20 AM »
In case it went un-reported (I haven't scanned the MSM), it seems that their might have be a to-do on the Mall last weekend.  It's variously reported that either "tens of thousands" or "a million" mean-spirited, hard-hearted, bigoted and WRONG people showed up in DC, with the utter AUDACITY to take the politicians to task for overspending.  I find no mention of it on this board, either.  Odd, that.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

drewtam

• friend
Re: March on Washington? Really?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 08:33:01 AM »
Not to be snarky, but you didn't look very hard. It was on the first page of the general forum. Plus it has a discussion of the media coverage.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=21009.0
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Hutch

• friend
Re: March on Washington? Really?
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 08:37:20 AM »
Silly of me.  I scanned the Politics Place.  Doh! <reddens>
Now I see that I didn't understand Tea Party.  Even worse!
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

red headed stranger

• friend
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »
You spent a lot of time missing the point there.

Nobody said it was a total media black-out.  You can find news reports on just about anything if you Google it.  But how prominent was the coverage?  I'll be honest, I can't answer that.  I don't have a TV and don't do establishment press of any kind, if I can avoid it.

Maybe it's because I live in the DC area, but it was on the news a fair bit around here.

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I